WSB Forum » WSB Reader Recommendations

(22 posts)

Eye exam, prescription w/o pressure to buy frames???

1. goodgraces
    Member Profile

I've read through all the archived optometrist threads and am curious if anyone can recommend someplace in WS to *just* have an exam and be able to walk out with my lens Rx in hand? I want to order frames and lenses online.

It seems like most places are pretty much in the business of selling glasses, not just providing eye exams. For years I've gone to just such place in Ballard. I feel like I received adequate eye care there, but the frame-lens end of the deal always has felt like a racket. Especially after reading the recent Slate article about the growth of online eyeglass dispensaries.

I would do Costco, but I have vision insurance through Premera. So don't want to have to pay out of pocket for the exam portion.

Has anyone been upfront with an eyeglass place/optometrist that they would NOT be purchasing from them and simply wanted an exam and prescription?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. I had an exam at West Seattle Highline Eye Clinic in Westwood and walked out not with one, but two prescriptions. One was for contacts and one for eyeglasses. I didn't order either at the clinic at the time.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. I had the same experience at West Seattle Highline Clinic in Westwood Village. They always hand me my prescription and I walk out, with no pressure to go downstairs to the optical department. The doctor even told me once that I could go anywhere I liked. Keep in mind, however, that they are doctors and not just opticians, so if one don't have insurance that covers it, I think the exams are very pricey. I have vision insurance, so I only pay a copay.

I think that may be part of the issue at some of the optical places - they give you a "free" or cheap exam because they then pressure you to buy glasses. You might try calling places ahead of time to ask about their policy on this to save you grief when you get there.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. Not in WS but I go to a place similar to Sue--Dr. Matsunami at Broadway Vision Source on Capitol Hill. They do sell lenses and frames but you're under no pressure or obligation to get your scrip filled there. (I seem to remember that Dr. Matsunami even told me that I could get frames cheaper elsewhere--I got them from his clinic for convenience's sake but it's definitely not necessary.)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Sorry for the duplicate post--the Forum gave me a 500 error earlier.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. GAnative
    Member Profile

GAnative

I also recommend the West Seattle Highline Clinic in Westwood Village; I went there as a new patient last week. I'm using my insurance coverage to get contacts but was given the prescription for glasses without asking and was told by the contact lens tech that she would fit me and then I could order them from her or she could give me the prescritpion if I wanted to purchase them elsewhere.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. GAnative
    Member Profile

GAnative

I also recommend the West Seattle Highline Clinic in Westwood Village; I went there as a new patient last week. I'm using my insurance coverage to get contacts but was given the prescription for glasses without asking and was told by the contact lens tech that she would fit me and then I could order them from her or she could give me the prescritpion if I wanted to purchase them elsewhere.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. KatherineL
    Member Profile

goodgraces, you have the legal right to get your prescription without buying eyeglasses. If they don't want to give it to you, anyplace you go, insist.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. Adding to the recommendation for the West Seattle Highline Clinic in Westwood if your insurance covers opthamologists (as opposed to optometrists). They hand you the prescription and you walk out. It's your option to detour by the optical department on the first floor. I've received excellent care from their doctors for both glasses and also when I've needed care for my eyes, like when I got poked in the eye with a sharp stick (ran into a branch in the dark).

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. skeeter
    Member Profile

I have Premera and use Costco. Yes, I have to pay out of pocket. But Premera reimburses me in just a couple of weeks. By the time your credit card bill is due I suspect you'll have the money in your pocket. I've been pleased with the vision services I've received at Costco.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. yes, the one mentioned above (at Westwood) is where our family goes. feel like they did a thorough job and had no problems getting prescriptions for disposable contacts (which I purchase at Costco), and for glasses (which i still need to pick out somewhere). my husband, who is very picky, actually did find some nice glasses at WS Highline eye clinic. he was originally planning on going to Market Optical in Pike Place market

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. Dr Ray Phillips at WS Eyecare, at Jefferson Square. Has a tiny selection of frames, but they didn't even mention it. I got my prescription and left with no problem.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. I do want to say something in defense of actually getting them where prescribed. I got an eye exam at WS Highline about 2 years ago where I always go, and had new glasses prescribed, and filled them at the optical department downstairs. I did not realize at the time that I was having eye changes due to a medical condition, and when they arrived 2 weeks later, the prescription was off (due to my eyes, not their error) and they made them again for me at no charge. Then 6 months later, my prescription changed again. They told me that because my dr. changed my prescription within 6 months of getting them, the lab could re-do them for free. (I made it by one day!) I don't know if this was the optical department or their off-site lab's policy, or something to do with the eye clinic, but do check policies on what happens if you need them re-done. Granted my experience was unusual (I've worn glasses for 40 years and never had anything happen like this), but I did want to give them a shout-out for taking good care of me and saving me tons of money, as even with insurance my lenses cost hundreds of dollars.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. goodgraces: I was just looking through my new Costco coupon book (think it's for Executive members but it's my husband's membership so I don't know the details) & there is an offer for "Buy One Pair of eyeglasses and get $30 Off each additional pair for same individual". Valid 1/31-2/24/13.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. goodgraces: I was just looking through my new Costco coupon book (think it's for Executive members but it's my husband's membership so I don't know the details) & there is an offer for "Buy One Pair of eyeglasses and get $30 Off each additional pair for same individual". Valid 1/31-2/24/13.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. goodgraces: I was just looking through my new Costco coupon book (think it's for Executive members but it's my husband's membership so I don't know the details) & there is an offer for "Buy One Pair of eyeglasses and get $30 Off each additional pair for same individual". Valid 1/31-2/24/13.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. 4th of Eight
    Member Profile

I second Dr. Phillips at WestSeattle EyeCare, been going there for about 20 yrs. No pressure, thorough exam, and Cindy or Joan professionally take care of you at the desk.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. Sheesh! Just looked back at this thread... so sorry for the triple post! Didn't realize that had happened. (NO, I don't work for Costco!)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. bsmomma
    Member Profile

bsmomma

We haven't ordered on line so I'm not sure how this would work......When we go to pick up the frames they do all sorts of things to make sure they fit correctly. We went to Sears in SODO and I think it was $100 for lenses and frames plus the warranty of replacement lenses within 60 days if RX is changed PLUS $15 for new frames if they get broke and $25 for new lenses after 60 days for any reason. And that's with no insurance. Super fast too. Had them in 5 days. We go to a place over by the U District DICKS Burgers......cant remember the name but there was zero pressure to get glasses.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. I was at Costco yesterday with a friend..
    regular exam $80... if you want contacts, $90

the eye clinic is separate from the sales area and there is no pressure at all to buy your glasses there.

but you might want to anyway..

the selection of frames was pretty good.. starting at about $40 and seemed to top out at $120..

the person i was with chose $90 frames and upgraded to the best bifocal they sell with all of the coatings for another $90...

and.. they take flex ben spending cards..

not a bad deal

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. kroberts
    Member Profile

West Seattle Optix on California is where I have gone for the past 5 years. I had the same pair of glasses for almost 10 years, but still have an eye exam every year. No one ever pressured me to buy anything.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. I also go to Costco and I have been very happy.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^