WSB Forum » West Seattle Food

(20 posts)

Alki Fish and Chips closing (located by the boat dock)

• Started 2 years ago by yikes
  • Latest reply from bailecyclist

1. I stopped by today and they said that they had just a couple of weeks before they had to vacate. If you were planning on seeing them before they go, get to it!

It's so sad to lose them and Avalon, also. I've really enjoyed both places.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  2. Betty T
    Member Profile

What a loss! My choice of fish & chips. Probably lease time. I wonder what will go in their place?

Posted 2 years ago #         
  3. AdmiralJaneway
    Member Profile

Yes, Betty T, their lease was not renewed. The proprietors of Marination Mobile have been awarded the new lease.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  4. Betty T
    Member Profile

Marination is really branching out their locations. Are they doing a restautant or what?

Posted 2 years ago #         
  5. I stopped by Alki Fish and Chips in early January with a friend. We were on the way to a show. While the food came quickly, it was hot, frankly it all tasted the same to me. I had a combination dinner. And there was only one other table with customers. At 6pm. The bar was full of very loud people, difficult to hear our own conversation. We learned upon asking that they were all friends of the bartender on duty that night. We were sitting by the front window, about as far from the bar as we possibly could be, and still had a hard time hearing each other.

I kept thinking, for all the people upset about them leaving, why weren't more people eating there at 6pm. Yes, it's sad to lose a business that's been there a long time, but please give Marination Mobile (restaurant) a chance. They have terrific food.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  6. i am sorry to see that they didn't get more preferential treatment in the bidding process because of the investments they made in the site and their investment in the local dive community...

i believe they were making an effort to be responsive to customer demand for more fresh items..

but in the end..
    i went there for the location... not the food.

I am considering a nostalgia run this week .. it's the right time of year for it.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  7. Jiggers
    Member Profile

Jiggers

Losing a seafood business on the water is not a good thing for Seattle. Fresh seafood is what tourists come to spend their money on and expect to see. Anything different is dissapointing.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  8. Betty T
    Member Profile

The placed was packed anytime I've been there in 6 yrs. Loved their fish and a generous portion, I felt. I know Marination Nation is good but hate to lose the fish place by the wateer . I know Marination has fish tacos. Does that count? I haven't been able to bring myself to do fish tacos yet. I'm older and fish & taco just doesn't sound right even though I've heard they're good.
    Never put a business down til we try them.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  9. Fish tacos are awesome, Betty T! Give 'em a try.

I mostly went to Alki Crab and Fish later in the evening, but it was usually half full at most when I went. I liked going there but I'm sure I'll like Marination too.

Hmm, Jiggers, have you told the proprietors of Celtic Swell, Phoenecia, Pegasus Pizza, and Cactus this? Personally I like variety and my husband hates fish, but we both like to go eat on the waterfront occasionally.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  10. i did my nostalgia run at Alki Fish and Chips tonight.
    The bar was doing a much better business than the chips shop.
    We mostly had the place and the view to ourselves.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  11. Jiggers
    Member Profile

Jiggers

data...I didn't say that every place has to sell seafood. But Seattle is known for that.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  12. Myr-myr
    Member Profile

why is this posted in Jobs?

Posted 2 years ago #         
  13. 2 Much Whine
    Member Profile

2 Much Whine

it's not, it's in food. . . . .

Posted 2 years ago #         
  14. If only there were other places to get fish on Alki! Oh, wait...

Posted 2 years ago #         
  15. mightymo
    Member Profile

A friend of mine talked to the Marination folks when he was waiting for the Water Taxi the other day and reports that they plan to have fish and chips on the menu. I'm sure they will add something new to the table for the dish, but it isn't like they plan to stick with tacos only.

Posted 2 years ago #         
  16. it will be interesting to see how this all plays out...

Posted 2 years ago #         
  17. memyselfandeye
    Member Profile

I'm not heartbroken about Alki Fish and Chips leaving. I've been there a few times and was never impressed. My fish and chips were consistently good but the place seems DIRTY and the service is unpredictable. It's frustrating to me to see waterfront restaurants that seem to rely too much on their location and not the other aspects of what customers want (good food/good value, clean atmosphere, friendly staff)

Posted 2 years ago #         
  18. MM, they had said that in our extensive coverage while this was all happening - that they'll have a fish/chip option with a twist. In this story:

http://westseattleblog.com/2011/12/seacrest-boathouse-contract-controversy-followup-new-operator-revealed-and-more

Posted 2 years ago #         
  19. I wondered what happened to Alki Fish & Chips. I thought they served the best fish n chips in Seattle and the service was friendly and fast. Too bad they are gone.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. bailecyclist
    Member Profile

Love Marination! The old place was okay. As noted by an earlier poster, I think Alki Fish & Chips was relying on location and lax on everything else.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^