Neighborhoods – West Seattle Blog… http://westseattleblog.com West Seattle news, 24/7 Sun, 27 May 2018 03:31:36 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=4.9.6 From the roundabout to the triangle @ Highland Park Action Committee http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/from-the-roundabout-to-the-triangle-highland-park-action-committee/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/from-the-roundabout-to-the-triangle-highland-park-action-committee/#comments Fri, 25 May 2018 01:18:20 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=917513 Transportation headlined last night’s Highland Park Action Committee meeting, led by chair Charlie Omana:

(Early concept for proposed Highland Park Way roundabout – final design may NOT resemble this)

ABOUT THE ROUNDABOUT: James Le from SDOT recapped the history of the long-proposed, little-funded Highland Park Way/Holden roundabout proposal, including the 2017 Find It, Fix It Walk during which $200,000 for design and $300,000 for construction was announced. While an application for a state grant was unsuccessful, the project got lots of support from local leaders, including U.S. House Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Another grant is being sought now – Le says WSDOT encouraged SDOT to seek the City Safety Grant for this project “because it ranked really high.” (No word yet when the decision is due. Le says SDOT has a grant coordinator who wrangles all that.) So far they have spent $50,000 of the design money and they are currently mapping the spot; another $100,000 will be spent to come up with two alternatives for the location, and the final $50,000 is being set aside as grant matching. The estimated cost for the project is $2.5 million (that’s up from a $2.1 million estimate in 2015). That includes, Le explained in response to a question, $800,000 labor and materials, and about $500,000 design costs.

Some of the design challenges will include how the roundabout would handle the intersection’s grade. And, in response to another question, Le reiterated that the eventual design might not resemble the existing concept rendering, which dates back a few years. HPAC leadership and attendees had lots of questions about how the proposed roundabout might work, and the bottom line right now is that it’s too early in design to tell. Some things mentioned: Maybe there would be a barrier about halfway down the hill. If you’re interested in seeing the city step this project up, lobby the City Council, because they too have the power to allot money.

Meantime, what about other urgent Highland Park transportation-safety needs? asked HPAC vice chair Gunner Scott. “What can be done at this point to start putting this on the map so people can see there’s some progress happening? … What can we do now?” Le said his scope of involvement is limited to the roundabout project and HPAC would have to talk to a Transportation Operations rep. Could a crosswalk – envisioned as part of the roundabout project – be installed first? Omana asked. Short answer from Le, it’s more complex than it sounds, so, no.

ONE MORE TRANSPORTATION NOTE: Later in the meeting, Omana mentioned he’s also talking to SDOT about left-turn signals at 16th/Holden.

DELRIDGE TRIANGLE: Kim Barnes (who you might know as Westwood-Roxhill-Arbor Heights Community Coalition co-chair) spoke about her project to get this spot improved. A Your Voice, Your Choice grant has been awarded to get it designed; a separate grant would be needed to be built, and a Neighborhood Matching Fund grant is being sought. Barnes came in hopes HPAC would support that. She also invited everyone to Roxhill Park‘s newly announced June 9th community barbecue.

HPIC UPDATES: Uncorked last weekend raised more than $25,000, reported Christie Sjostrom. Coming up – Corner Bar first Friday, Art Lounge with live (clothed) models second Friday, Movie Night third Friday, and the second Saturday in June will be second annual Album Side Saturday, 4-8 pm with food and fun outside. (You can keep up with HPIC events via the website.)

ADU OPTIONS: Scott pointed out that the city is seeking feedback right now on Accessory Dwelling Units (aka backyard cottages, mother-in-law units, etc.). It was pointed out that these are wide-ranging changes proposed in the Environmental Impact Statement, which is what’s being commented on right now. (Find out more here.)

CITY UPDATES: Scott mentioned that Andres Mantilla, the acting Department of Neighborhoods director, is a Highland Park resident and was in attendance at last week’s Delridge Neighborhoods District Council. He also mentioned the request for feedback on SDOT‘s search for a new director.

RV PARKING: One of the city’s hottest topics came up at HPAC too. Discussion centered on what are, and aren’t, the current rules. RVs are parking at Riverview, attendees said. They’re going to invite SPD leadership to a future meeting, and perhaps other department reps.

SPEAKING OF THE CITY … MAYORAL VISIT: Scott invited the mayor to Highland Park, and she accepted, during her Town Hall meeting at the Senior Center of West Seattle. HPAC is still working on scheduling this.

FUTURE MEETINGS: HPAC meets fourth Wednesdays at HPIC (1116 SW Holden), 7 pm, all welcome. Watch hpacws.org for updates between meetings.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/from-the-roundabout-to-the-triangle-highland-park-action-committee/feed/ 7
What the Admiral Neighborhood Association heard from SPD, SDOT, and Sub Pop http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/what-the-admiral-neighborhood-association-heard-from-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/what-the-admiral-neighborhood-association-heard-from-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop/#respond Sat, 19 May 2018 06:04:58 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=916812 We’ve already reported on the biggest news from this week’s Admiral Neighborhood Association meeting – the announcement of this year’s Summer Concerts at Hiawatha lineup. But that wasn’t all that happened. Here are the rest of the toplines:

COMMUNITY POLICING: The area’s assigned Community Police Team Officer John O’Neil introduced himself. He’s a 14-year SPD veteran, Navy veteran, father of three. “The human element of police officers has been lost …because we don’t share,” he explained as his rationale for a personal introduction. “A lot of time, people see the uniform, and they see a robot.” He has been working in western West Seattle for about six months now. He explained that CPT officers “handle the long-term problem calls. … We want to connect with people. We want to be at these meetings.” But “if someone’s breaking into your house,” don’t call him! He also told people NOT to report crimes via social media – SPD won’t see it.

In Q&A he was asked about noise at bar closing time. If it’s a chronic problem, that’s something you can bring to the attention of your Community Police Team officer, he said.

He also talked about the realities of policing our area and staffing challenges – prioritizing, shifting resources when needed (especially in times of emergencies such as last week’s deadly shooting at West Seattle Stadium), etc. Asked about the cruising/noise problem, Officer O’Neil said that’s still a work in progress. He also talked about what it’s like trying to catch racers on West Marginal Way SW.

A frustrated neighbor complained about how long it takes to get a response for a public nuisance, which segued into dealing with street disorder and campers. Officer O’Neil said that they have many protocols of what they can and can’t do. He also talked about how officers are tied up doing many things, not just responding to 911 calls; he told the story of a stolen-car report that hadn’t been responded to for eight hours because no one was available. He said he understood why the car’s owner was upset and even encouraged him to file a complaint.

Back to the issue of street disorder, Officer O’Neil says the department has a new policy about dealing with RVs, though he did not elaborate on what’s in that policy. (We’re still trying to find out more from the city about what the new policy entails.) Much frustration overall was vented, and while Officer O’Neil had no answers, he tried hard to explain the reality of what police deal with.

WEST SEATTLE NEIGHBORHOOD GREENWAY: Mitchell Lloyd of SDOT brought an update; he said the timeline isn’t set yet for the second phase of the project. He said more than 200 responses were received in the recent online survey. If you have questions about the project, look for SDOT at the West Seattle Bee Festival on Saturday (11 am-2 pm at High Point Commons Park). Questions at the meeting included whether the project might correct some signage problems, such as one nearby area where an attendee said signs say “20 mph when children are present” but should say 20 mph at all times. Next project milestone, Lloyd said in response to a question from Wymer, will be proposing three or four specific routes in the North Admiral Connection, and then analyzing and gathering feedback on them.

SUB POP 30TH ANNIVERSARY UPDATE: Sub Pop Records reps stopped by with an update on the August 11th plan for Alki Beach. They’re still planning to close Alki SW between 56th and 63rd SW, with some “soft” closures on side streets (“local access only”) – same pattern as the Alki Summer Streets “car-free day” events that have been held in the past. Asked about the plan for, for example Beach Drive in the Constellation Park area, they said they haven’t gotten that far yet. They’re still working on renting lots from which they can run shuttles – Jack Block Park, West Marginal Way SW, etc. They also are planning to double Water Taxi service that day – an extra boat will be brought in, so there will be four runs each hour. Water Taxi shuttles will continue to run and SP will work with bike-rental companies too. “We will heavily message ‘don’t drive’, and … to respect the residents who live here,” said CEO Megan Jasper. They’re also aiming for it to be a zero-waste event. And Alki Playground/Whale Tail Park will have not only a family-friendly zone but also food trucks lined up on 59th. Beneficiaries of the event – particularly the beer gardens – will include the Southwest Seattle Historical Society and YouthCare.

KEXP radio will be a partner; the lineup will be announced May 29th. “Will there be a surprise guest?” they were asked. “Right now they’re ALL surprise guests,” Jasper said, to laughter. Meantime, they reiterate that they really appreciate feedback, opinions, thoughts, questions – and have already heard a lot from community groups in particular – so if you have anything to ask/say, bring it up. One person wondered if people will be encouraged to leave their dogs home, given that they’re not allowed on the beach … good point, she was told.

OTHER SUMMER EVENTS: ANA needs volunteers to sell treats at the post-parade games at Hamilton Viewpoint Park after the West Seattle 4th of July Kids’ Parade. … Nicole from Fit4Mom talked about the parade – they recently launched crowdfunding, as reported here … ANA also is hoping to march in the West Seattle Grand Parade on July 21st (if you can help, let the group know!).

ADMIRAL BUSINESSES: ANA president Larry Wymer said he is trying to revive the Admiral merchants’ group that had formed years ago. He hopes to have a representative of the business community on hand every month; this month, it was Benjamin Jury, whose company Duos took over The Sanctuary at Admiral – where the ANA meets – months ago. It’s often used for weddings, he said, but also can be a great place for parties and reunions.

EMERGENCY COMMUNICATION HUB: Up to 10 more volunteers are needed to continue organizing Admiral’s hub. Mary Coucoules is coordinating it and you can e-mail her if you are interested, coucou@spu.edu.

The Admiral Neighborhood Association meets every other month – mostly on second Tuesdays, but sometimes (like this month) that changes, so watch for announcements! The next meeting is currently scheduled for 6:30 pm July 10th.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/what-the-admiral-neighborhood-association-heard-from-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop/feed/ 0
TUESDAY: SPD, SDOT, and Sub Pop @ Admiral Neighborhood Association http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/tuesday-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop-admiral-neighborhood-association/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/tuesday-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop-admiral-neighborhood-association/#respond Sun, 13 May 2018 20:12:12 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=916614 The Admiral Neighborhood Association‘s every-other-month meeting is set for this Tuesday (May 15th), 6:30 pm, and ANA president Larry Wymer sends word of three major agenda items:

Officer John O’Neil – Community Policing Officer with the Seattle Police Department – will update the neighborhood on the state of policing in Admiral, with an open Q&A session to listen to any of our concerns and answer any questions we might have.

Mitch Lloyd will discuss, and obtain our feedback, on the planned extension of SDOT’s ‘West Seattle Neighborhood Greenway’ northward from Junction into Admiral to provide connections, and enhance safety of those walking and biking in West Seattle.

Kara Mattaini with Sub Pop Records will return to follow up on their March meeting presentation with additional details of their ‘30th Anniversary Party At Alki Beach’ on Saturday, August 11.

We will also get updates and discuss a summer full of fun activities including the Summer Concert Series, 4th of July Parade, the Float Dodger/Grand Parade, and Adopt-A-Street Cleanups; and get updates from our various committees.

The ANA meets at The Sanctuary at Admiral, at 2656 42nd SW. Our meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of every other month from 6:30-8:30 pm. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/05/tuesday-spd-sdot-and-sub-pop-admiral-neighborhood-association/feed/ 0
WEST SEATTLE LIGHT RAIL: Sound Transit briefing at Junction Neighborhood Organization http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/west-seattle-light-rail-sound-transit-briefing-at-junction-neighborhood-organization/ Mon, 30 Apr 2018 05:28:29 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=915318

Our video is from Sound Transit‘s briefing at the Junction Neighborhood Organization meeting last Thursday. It didn’t exactly pick up where the West Seattle/Ballard light-rail projects’ Stakeholder Advisory Group had left off just two nights earlier (WSB coverage here), but it did aim to clarify what the next public-participation meeting, next Saturday’s West Seattle “neighborhood forum,” is meant to accomplish. The three ST staffers who briefed and answered questions from JuNO attendees attempted to clarify how, while the Stakeholder Advisory Group has recommended “alternatives” to move forward, those aren’t the final say – what ST hopes to hear from neighborhood participants are potential “refinements.” Maybe even, they said, “mix and match” elements of possible alternatives. So if you weren’t at the JuNO meeting – or at the West Seattle Transportation Coalition meeting where we’re told the same team appeared earlier that night – watch and listen, and then be at next Saturday’s neighborhood forum: 10 am-12:30 pm May 5th, Masonic Center, 4736 40th SW.

Share This

]]>
Next step for Delridge Triangle safety and accessibility: Community to seek matching-fund grant http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/next-step-for-delridge-triangle-safety-and-accessibility-community-to-seek-matching-fund-grant/ Tue, 24 Apr 2018 18:49:40 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=914852 (Photo courtesy WWRHAH)

At right in the photo above is the space that’s been dubbed the Delridge Triangle, where community members have been working to make the space safer and more accessible for everyone. They’re about to take the next step, and hoping you want to come along and collaborate! The announcement is from Kim Barnes:

WWRHAH.org, in partnership with the South Delridge Community Group, is pleased to announce the Your Voice, Your Choice 2017 award improvements will start this summer! As the scope of these improvements is finalized by SDOT, the Friends of the Delridge Triangle are now ready to move forward with the next step to create a safe and useable community space for everyone with help from the 2018 Neighborhood Matching Fund.

The SDOT-managed “parklet,” located at 9201 Delridge Way and framed by Barton Street SW at 18th Ave SW, will leverage the grant application in two phases: Phase one will focus on the selection and hire of a landscape architect to create a stepped redesign plan and budget to build out the space. The chosen firm will meet with the community Fall/Winter 2018 to reimagine the Triangle by applying the desired outcomes generated from the 2017 in workshop SDOT. You can see the [WSB] coverage of the 2017 meeting with an overview of the desired outcomes: “From Problems to Possibilities.”)

Our first=round table application meeting will take place on April 30th, from 6:30-8 pm at 2 Fingers Social, 9211 Delridge Way SW. Kids are welcome until 8 pm so all are welcome. Get to know your neighbors and learn about the background, desired outcomes and opportunities at a mini community social at 6:30 pm. Specific application questions will then be fielded to the appointed fund coordinator from 7-8 pm. Please join in to hear how we can work together to make the Triangle safe and accessible for the neighborhood! For more information, contact Kim Barnes at: WWRHAHCommunityCoalition@gmail.com

We reported on the 2017 Your Voice, Your Choice winners last August.

Share This

]]>
JUNCTION NOTES: Spring Clean; flower baskets; Wine Walk http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/junction-notes-spring-clean-flower-baskets-wine-walk/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/junction-notes-spring-clean-flower-baskets-wine-walk/#comments Sun, 22 Apr 2018 06:51:21 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=914605 Three notes about West Seattle Junction Association events:

SPRING CLEAN: Junction Plaza Park was headquarters today for WSJA’s second annual Spring Clean. Volunteers got to enjoy the morning sunshine, as well as coffee, breakfast, and a tote bag, while taking on tasks including litter pickup, storm-drain stenciling, painting over graffiti, and weed-pulling.

FLOWER BASKETS: As we’ve mentioned, this is also the second year The Junction is offering flower-basket sponsorships, and executive director Lora Swift tells us about two dozen of the hanging baskets are still available for sponsoring. You get a name plaque that goes up with the basket (and no, you don’t have to maintain the basket, that’s done professionally as always). Go here ASAP to sign up for yours! (We’re proud to have WSB sponsoring one again this year.)

WINE WALK: Also running low – remaining tickets for the springtime Wine Walk in The Junction, 5-9 pm Friday, May 18th. You get ten tasting tickets, snacks, plus a special glass, and the chance to sip while wandering between the merchants that’ll be hosting 14 participating wineries that night. Buy online here (where you can also see the list of wineries and merchants), or in person at CAPERS (4525 California SW).

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/junction-notes-spring-clean-flower-baskets-wine-walk/feed/ 1
Park expansion, affordable-housing ‘district’ concept, more @ Morgan Community Association’s spring meeting http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/park-expansion-affordable-housing-district-concept-more-morgan-community-associations-spring-meeting/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/park-expansion-affordable-housing-district-concept-more-morgan-community-associations-spring-meeting/#comments Fri, 20 Apr 2018 18:59:17 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=914279 As always, the quarterly meeting of the Morgan Community Association quarterly meeting at The Kenney was packed with information and updates. First:

MORGAN JUNCTION PARK EXPANSION: Seattle ParksKarimah Edwards and Kelly Goold were on hand to brief MoCA.

It’s been four years since the property (formerly site of two businesses) was purchased, Edwards noted. GGLO will be designing the expansion and had architect Tim Slazinik in attendance.

The first public meeting is set for the day of the Morgan Junction Community Festival on June 16th. They’ll get design ideas there, said Goold, and build some schematic designs to bring back to the community – a process similar to what’s been done for the new West Seattle Junction park on 40th SW. The project has a budget of $1.3 million and “we want to make sure the design is cohesive,” Edwards said. A street or alley vacation is likely to be requested for SW Eddy, which cuts between the current park and the expansion site, Goold said. Planning will happen this year, Edwards said, with meetings 45-60 days apart, and “hopefully we can get to design” next year, with construction in 2020.

Will the budget include “fixing the alley”? asked one attendee. Answer: No, the money is for park development – the alley is SDOT responsibility. What about the contamination believed to be on site? Goold said that will be “dealt with from a different funding source” – site demolition has to be completed (removal of concrete slab, soil investigation) first. Will there be a restroom? Not for a park of this “neighborhood” size, said Goold. They cost about half a million dollars, for one. Any questions/comments? Contact Edwards at karimah.edwards@seattle.gov

HOUSING-AFFORDABILITY PROPOSAL: The group was briefed on a “permanent affordable housing” initiative that could require a Special Review District. inspired by the impending HALA Mandatory Housing Affordability upzoning.

A committee’s been working on this. The proposal that they’re developing “would affect single-family properties inside the Morgan Junction Urban Village that [are expected to be] rezoned to multifamily (280 parcels).” One of the people on the committee said that she believes upzoning is coming and residents need to work with it, so this idea “marries the MHA requirements from the city” to maintaining existing affordable-housing stock. This works with the Community Land Trust idea (explained here). The committee member said that her parents had sold some land in the area that was redeveloped into “two million-dollar houses” with four people total living in them, plus they paid a lot of capital-gains taxes, but the family could have had a tax break, and the neighborhood could have had greater density, if they had sold to a CLT, something they’d never heard of. This is in a very exploratory stage; those on hand voted to encourage the committee to keep working on it. There’ll be an update at the next MoCA meeting in July.

COUNCILMEMBER LISA HERBOLD: She visited MoCA for quick updates on a variety of things. She started by mentioning the Ready-to-Work program expansion she visited earlier in the week. She said the program has about 16 students right now, and explained how the expansion was the result of a budget vote last year.

Next: The council’s vote approving changes to the city’s parking rules, and how she had tried to make some changes she thought were “consistent with the spirit of the goals,” allowing the city, if needed in rare cases, to require that a project’s parking impacts be mitigated. That mitigation could have included requiring that transit passes be provided, among other “tools.” But her colleagues all voted against it. And in turn, she was the only person who voted against the package of proposed parking changes. “I didn’t make any friends among my colleagues that day,” she acknowledged. “We try not to have too many of those 8-1 votes each year.”

One attendee brought up the 66 apartments/no-offstreet-parking development plan at 2222 SW Barton in an area without some pedestrian features, and noted that city leaders need to be cognizant of the results of their votes – like that. Another attendee talked about Morgan-area impacts and wondered what the other councilmembers are saying and thinking. Herbold said that the most outspoken of them sincerely believe that the policies will result in fewer people having cars, that “when more buildings are built without parking, fewer people will choose to own cars.”

She also mentioned the citywide appeal of HALA MHA’s Environmental Impact Report (MoCA is a party, and also pursuing its own appeal) and said she’s “willing to play a role in mediation if people feel that’s something helpful I can do”; she said the City Attorney’s Office updated her a few weeks ago about potential talks between the city and the coalition and groups who are pursuing the appeal.

One attendee asked whether the entirety of HALA MHA would be on hold while neighborhood planning proceeded, if that was the result of the appeals, whether mediated or not. Herbold thought it might be more like “the minimum bump” would happen, while the planning proceeds.

What about the newly announced Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Levy? Herbold said she found out via the news release from the mayor’s office earlier in the day. She supports the expiring levies’ renewal and is hoping that when they are “moosh(ed) together into one levy,” it will work out. She hopes that maybe the levy can be cut down a bit because of state-mandated funding that should be covering more basic education costs, which the city was covering for a while. The council does have to finalize the package before it can be sent to the ballot for voters to approve or reject.

MoCA president Deb Barker asked Herbold for an update on “Civics 101” – how best to advocate for something. The City Council has 9 committees, each of which has areas of responsibility, and oversight of particular departments – she chairs Civil Rights, Utilities, Economic Development, and Arts. “Other committee names are even more inscrutable,” she joked. Once bills get proposed, they are heard in committee, potential amendments are discussed, and then after a committee involved, it moves on to the full Council. Best way to get involved is to know which committee deals with issue(s) that interest you the most, and sign up to get that committee’s agendas.

Other items of interest from attendees included tunnel tolls (Herbold didn’t have an update on that, which is a decision to be made by the state Transportation Commission later this year) and Sound Transit light rail (Herbold is on the Elected Leadership Group, which has its second meeting on May 17th). Regarding light rail, she also briefly mentioned something we had noted here earlier this week, a request for city advisory boards/commissions (such as bicycle, pedestrian, design, planning) to provide early input.

YET MORE HALA UPDATES: MoCA also is pursuing a Comprehensive Plan Amendment that’s “working its way through the system,” president Deb Barker said. That includes the City Council’s discussions and hearings. Whatever you think about it, “it’s important for District 1 to show up as District 1” at the upcoming open house and public hearing, “and express your District 1 opinions.” She’s been to the open houses/hearings elsewhere. Barker said the appeal is currently set for a hearing starting at the end of June, continuing with a week at the end of July. “That may change – stay tuned.” (You can see the Hearing Examiner’s calendar here.)

MORGAN COMMUNITY FESTIVAL: 10 am-4 pm on Saturday, June 16th, at Morgan Junction ParkPhil Tavel is in charge of it and says they are still looking for volunteers.

SOUTHWEST DISTRICT COUNCIL: The next first-Wednesday meeting will be May 2nd, with an environmental theme, and guests including Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, Duwamish River Cleanup Coalition, and State Rep. Joe Fitzgibbon, said Tamsen Spengler, who represents MoCA on the SWDC (and serves as its co-chair). She also provided a quick recap of the April meeting (WSB coverage here).

SOUTHWEST PRECINCT ADVISORY COUNCIL: Tavel represents MoCA on this group and mentioned the spike in outbuilding burglaries. When he mentioned police’s reminder “if you see something suspicious, call them” that led to a couple people telling stories about difficulty in getting police response, though it was not regarding “happening now” incidents. Tavel urged contacting Southwest Precinct commander Capt. Pierre Davis if you don’t think you’re getting the attention that’s required.

WEST SEATTLE RESOURCE ROUNDUP: WS Junction Association executive director Lora Swift told MoCA the story of how WSJA and the WS Chamber of Commerce collaborated to talk with local businesses and others about challenges and what resources could help solve them. The result: This report. But, as Swift explained, they didn’t want the information to just go and lay fallow somewhere. But now, info you can use, from the findings of the report t is all in one place – wsresourceroundup.com. Is it missing something? Let Lora know! (wsresourceroundup@gmail.com)

MORGAN MINUTES: Quick updates:
April 28th – disaster drill (as previewed previously) – volunteers/actor-participants wanted! Fauntleroy Church (9140 California SW) is the closest of the 3 sites

May 5thSound Transit‘s light-rail neighborhood forum for West Seattle – 10 am-12:30 pm at the Masonic Center (4736 40th SW) – “they really need input from people,” said Barker, who serves on the Stakeholder Advisory Group helping vet potential routing/station locations.

May 9thOpen house for District 1 (West Seattle/South Park) HALA Mandatory Housing Affordability, 6 pm at Louisa Boren STEM K-8 School (5950 Delridge Way SW)

May 27th – First of five community cleanups organized by volunteer Jill Boone, 9:30-11 am, meet at the ATM by the Shell station on California south of Fauntleroy (full announcement is in the WSB Event Calendar)

HUB BOX THEFT: The on-site emergency-preparedness box at Morgan Junction Park was stolen in February. It contained donated tools, irrigation equipment, folding table, radio, other items worth a total of about $600. “It was a heavy, heavy unit, so it was obviously a multiple-person operation.” Applying for a grant to replace it would be a lot of work, so they’re trying to handle that another way – they can round up some donated items but the box itself might cost up to $780. Those on hand voted to authorize funding for a replacement. (MoCA has no formal membership or dues – anyone on hand gets to vote, if there’s something on which a vote needs to be taken.)

How would they keep it from being stolen again? For one, said Barry White of Friends of Morgan Junction Park, it’ll be bolted into a concrete slab next time.

NEW OFFICER: A new member of the MoCA board was elected at the meeting – Marianne Holsman will succeed Cindi Barker as Public Information Officer.

The Morgan Community Association meets on the third Wednesdays in January, April, July, and October. Watch morganjunction.org for updates between meetings.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/park-expansion-affordable-housing-district-concept-more-morgan-community-associations-spring-meeting/feed/ 8
NEIGHBORHOOD NOTES: Fauntleroy Community Association recaps Food Fest, previews festival fundraiser, more http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/neighborhood-notes-fauntleroy-community-association-recaps-food-fest-previews-festival-fundraiser-more/ Tue, 17 Apr 2018 05:00:08 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=913815 Toplines from this past week’s monthly meeting of the Fauntleroy Community Association board:

(WSB photo from March 20th Fauntleroy Food Fest – Washington State Ferries table)

FOOD FEST WENT WELL: The annual membership meeting on March 20th at The Hall at Fauntleroy, the Food Fest, was a big success – big turnout and many membership renewals (WSB coverage here). Board member David Haggerty said more than 160 people attended, and for the first time in a few years, the barrel collecting donations for the West Seattle Food Bank was filled to the brim.

BUT ONE THING DIDN’T: Many of the A-boards used to promote the event (and other Fauntleroy happenings) were vandalized, their hinges broken, the board faces spray-painted black. The only ones spared were the three closest to The Hall. Replacements will be sought before future events, especially the Fauntleroy Fall Festival.

(WSB file photo, Fauntleroy Fall Festival)

SPEAKING OF WHICH: The festival’s new chair is David’s son Reed Haggerty, who has served on its board for the past four years. He’s looking at trying some new things during this year’s free afternoon festival (usually held in October) and he’s excited to get going. The annual Endolyne Joe’s (WSB sponsor) fundraiser for the Fall Festival, by the way, is coming up on Tuesday, April 24th – dine at Joe’s (9261 45th SW) that day/night and part of the proceeds will go toward helping keep the festival free and fun. (Look for raffles at the restaurant, too.)

9250 45TH SW: FCA continues to watch the site that, as we first reported last October, has an early-stage proposal for rezoning and redevelopment, but so far, nothing new’s been filed, and no formal application yet. FCA has registered with the city as a party of interest, so whenever something does happen, they’ll be notified.

UPCOMING: Events of note that were mentioned include the Washington State Ferries Long-Range Plan meeting, 6-8 pm May 17th at Fauntleroy Church (9140 California SW) and the District 1 HALA Mandatory Housing Affordability public hearing, 6 pm June 5th at Chief Sealth International High School (2600 SW Thistle).

The FCA board meets second Tuesdays most months, 7 pm at Fauntleroy Schoolhouse (9131 California SW).

Share This

]]>
CLEANING IN THE RAIN: ‘Small but mighty’ effort by South Delridge Community Group http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/cleaning-in-the-rain-small-but-mighty-effort-by-south-delridge-community-group/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/cleaning-in-the-rain-small-but-mighty-effort-by-south-delridge-community-group/#comments Sun, 15 Apr 2018 02:46:18 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=913986

Thanks to Connie Wolf for the photos and report!

A small but mighty group of neighbors got together on this drizzly morning to pick up litter around Westwood Village.

For the past two years, the South Delridge Community Group has been meeting monthly to clean up in and around our neighborhood. Got a suggestion for which main streets, side streets, and alleys we should tackle next? We’d love to hear it! Even better, join us at a cleanup – we always meet the second Saturday of each month from 10-11 am. It’s a great way to start the weekend, keep our streets clean, meet neighbors, and build community!

Send your suggestion to sdelridgecommunitygroup@gmail.com.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/cleaning-in-the-rain-small-but-mighty-effort-by-south-delridge-community-group/feed/ 4
FOLLOWUP: Fairmount Ravine neighbors’ 26th annual cleanup, beneath and atop the bridge http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/followup-fairmount-ravine-neighbors-26th-annual-cleanup-beneath-and-atop-the-bridge/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/followup-fairmount-ravine-neighbors-26th-annual-cleanup-beneath-and-atop-the-bridge/#comments Mon, 02 Apr 2018 07:34:50 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=912930 (First two photos courtesy Fairmount Ravine neighbors)

Back on Thursday, we previewed the 26th annual Fairmount Ravine cleanup, and neighbors’ plans to hold the city accountable for taking care of the publicly owned greenspace and right-of-way. Above are the volunteers who showed up to pitch in on Saturday, including Matt Algieri, who tells us how it went:

15 interested area residents each donated three hours of their time, cutting ivy from trees, cleaning Admiral Way Bridge sidewalks and removing garbage and debris from under the bridge.

There was a lot of garbage under the East side of the bridge, more than we anticipated. That generated most of the 40 bags of garbage collected and shown in the pictures.

Many ravine trees had ivy removed, ensuring their health and vitality, and both bridge sidewalks are now clean and clear. 15 people working three hours gets a lot of work done!

One note, Seattle Public Utilities sent a crew at 8:30 AM Saturday morning, the start time of Ravine cleanup, to paint over graffiti under the bridge. Yes, 8:30 am, the Saturday before Easter. John Lang asked a person, who we believe was the crew supervisor, about the crew’s work and timing of the work order for this work, and did not get a specific answer. In any case, we worked around the crew and experienced no problems.

Overall the event was a great success. The next step is obtaining Seattle City ownership removing garbage and debris under the bridge.

Here are links to our coverage from past years – 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/followup-fairmount-ravine-neighbors-26th-annual-cleanup-beneath-and-atop-the-bridge/feed/ 8
Highland Park Action Committee: Crime; camp; Find It, Fix It followup… http://westseattleblog.com/2018/04/highland-park-action-committee-crime-camp-find-it-fix-it-followup/ Mon, 02 Apr 2018 02:02:51 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=912900 Toplines from the monthly Highland Park Action Committee meeting, last Wednesday night at Highland Park Improvement Club:

CRIME-TRENDS UPDATE: First up, Southwest Precinct Operations Lt. Ron Smith, with updates on Highland Park trends.

Burglaries are up, year to date, from last year – 10 reported through mid-March in 2017, 21 this year. The precinct will be talking with Assistant Chief Steve Wilske soon about adding emphasis patrols to address this trend. One positive trend in southeastern West Seattle – crime in the Westwood Village area is down 30 percent from a year earlier. Lt. Smith says business owners at the shopping center are working with officers and that’s helped bring the decrease. They’re still working on reducing liquor shoplifting.

CAMP SECOND CHANCE RENEWAL COMMENTS: Picking up from the comments he delivered at the recent community meeting about city extension of Camp Second Chance‘s permit, new HPAC co-chair Charlie Omana reiterated that Highland Park and vicinity have had their share of encampment-hosting (dating back a decade now to the original “Nickelsville” just east of the Highland Park Way hill) and that it’s time for other neighborhoods to step up. He’s reviewing the letters that HPAC has sent to the city regarding camping in the area as well as policing and cleanup on the east side of Myers Way, outside the sanctioned encampment on the west side. (Comments on the proposed one-year extension of Camp Second Chance’s permit are due by Thursday, April 5th; you can e-mail homelessness@seattle.gov – include “Myers Way” in the subject line.)

FIND IT, FIX IT FOLLOWUP: The last major item of the night was a review of what’s happened since last year’s Find It, Fix It Walk.

(WSB photo from May 2017 Find It, Fix It Walk in Highland Park)

While HPAC members acknowledged progress had been made on some trouble spots, some questions remain, including improving Metro bus service to the area, and maintenance of some trails in Riverview Park. HPAC will stay vigilant in following up with the city and discussing at future meetings.

Highland Park Action Committee meets fourth Wednesdays most months, 7 pm at HP Improvement Club. Watch hpacws.org for updates between meetings.

Share This

]]>
GOT ANSWERS? Fauntleroy Community Association survey closes in a few days http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/got-answers-fauntleroy-community-association-survey-closes-in-a-few-days/ Fri, 30 Mar 2018 17:35:22 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=912697 You’ve got answers – they have questions. The Fauntleroy Community Association‘s every-other-year neighborhood survey is closing soon, Shannon Ninburg from the FCA board reminds us:

If you live in the Fauntleroy area, you still have until the middle of next week (April 4th) to participate in the Fauntleroy Community Association’s survey. Every two years the FCA conducts a survey to ask community members about issues important to them. The results help guide the FCA’s focus over the next couple years. Fauntleroy area residents can take the survey via the FCA website. We’d love to hear from you!

The community is also always welcome at FCA’s monthly board meetings – next one 7 pm April 10th at Fauntleroy Schoolhouse (9131 California SW)

Share This

]]>
FAUNTLEROY FOOD FEST 2018: Honors, volunteers, and samples http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/fauntleroy-food-fest-2018-honors-volunteers-and-samples/ Thu, 22 Mar 2018 05:25:39 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=912023 (WSB photos by Patrick Sand)

Above are Fauntleroy Community Association president Mike Dey and Irene Stewart, one of two people honored last night at FCA’s annual Fauntleroy Food Fest membership meeting. Until recently, Irene was volunteer website and social-media manager for FCA. Also honored: outgoing FCA board member and Ferry Advisory Committee liaison Gary Dawson:

We mentioned Gary’s departure announcement in our coverage of last week’s FCA board meeting. He’s been on the board for more than 20 years. The honors were a reminder that community groups run entirely on volunteer power – countless hours given by people including Judy Pickens:

Judy is editor of the FCA newsletter, which we’re fairly sure is the last printed-and-mailed community council news publication in West Seattle. She was at the FFF on behalf of the Fauntleroy Watershed Council and its new stewardship fund. Other volunteers there, talking with community members, included Cindi Barker and FCA’s Gordon Wiehler on behalf of the Emergency Communication Hubs:

As for who put the “food” into the Fauntleroy Food Fest – local purveyors included Lonjina from Wildwood Market:

And from Endolyne Joe’s (WSB sponsor), Annette and Kelsey:

The turnout:

And, the FCA board elected last night:

If you live/work in Fauntleroy but didn’t get to the FFF to renew (or start) your membership, you can do it online here.

Share This

]]>
Tackling the triangle, park, road, and more @ Westwood-Roxhill-Arbor Heights Community Coalition http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/tackling-the-triangle-park-road-and-more-westwood-roxhill-arbor-heights-community-coalition/ Tue, 20 Mar 2018 05:34:28 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=910701 By Tracy Record
West Seattle Blog editor

The Westwood-Roxhill-Arbor Heights Community Council continues to evolve.

Co-chair Kim Barnes says it’s now meant to function as more of a “support group for committees” – each one, small now and hoping to grow, taking on a particular area of interest. If any are of interest to you – or if there’s something else you’d like to help make happen in the area – jump in!

Among those areas of interest discussed at this month’s WWRHAH meeting:

ROXHILL PARK: The recent kickoff meeting for getting Roxhill into the Park Commons project went well. This would be a two-to-three-year project, Barnes said, “for us to develop ways and means” – some through assistance, some through guidance – “to create more interactive activities in the areas of the park that are less utilized and need ore positive activities in them.”

That would get more people flowing through the park and could dovetail with the ongoing project to rescue Roxhill Bog. The more committee members working on this, the more possibilities they have – art installations, for example. They talked about reaching out to other park constituencies – even into White Center, as the park is close to the city-county line and is of interest to the south too. More discussions are planned, including starting simple, such as senior-geared programs that could involve people from the Daystar retirement center on the park’s east side.

DELRIDGE TRIANGLE: In this case, the triangle refers to the public space adjacent to the bus stop near Delridge/Barton.

triangleshot
(2017 photo)

A Friends of Delridge Triangle group is being created, and will likely apply for a city grant until later in the year.

Related to the area near the triangle, – Barnes went to the recent Southwest Design Review Board meeting for a future storage complex at 9201 Delridge Way SW. She told the board that the proposal she describes as a “giant box” is not desirable for the neighborhood goals, though she knows the zoning allows it. She said “the board ran with” her request that they at least “scrutinize the options thoroughly” for it fitting into a walkable, safe neighborhood, “turn(ing the building) more toward Delridge.” She also said the architect talked with her outside the meeting and wanted to know more about the community’s concerns, interests, and plans for the area.

ROXHILL ELEMENTARY: Friends of Roxhill continues working on the playground project for the school’s move to >EC Hughes in the fall, and will have options soon to be voted on, with a construction bid to be awarded soon, too. The community will have opportunities to help with the project build in early June.

26TH SW: Earl Lee had an update on the ongoing problems along the stretch north of SW Barton that sees hundreds of bus trips daily, damaging the road and shaking houses. He says a new environmental study is planned, and that a subterranean study was done recently.

ENCAMPMENT MEETING: Those in attendance were urged to go to the city meeting tomorrow (6:30 pm March 20th, Joint Training Facility) about whether sanctioned encampment Camp Second Chance will get a permit for another year at the Myers Way Parcels. Overall, it was noted, less unauthorized camping had been observed in the area recently.

HALA APPEAL: WWRHAH is part of the citywide coalition appealing the Environmental Impact Statement for HALA’s Mandatory Housing Affordability component, and Barnes noted the hearing before the city Hearing Examiner is now scheduled for June. She reminded those in attendance that the appeal is not in opposition to affordable housing: “We are for affordable housing, very much so – the basis of the appeal, just to remind everyone, is that the appellant believes the EIS was not (properly done),” that it is “one size fits all” and needs to take neighborhoods’ unique characteristics and challenges into account.

The Westwood-Roxhill-Arbor Heights Community Coalition meets first Tuesdays, 6 pm, at Southwest Library. Check wwrhah.org for updates.

Share This

]]>
VIDEO: Sub Pop party discussion #2, plus HALA upzoning appeal, @ Alki Community Council http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/video-sub-pop-party-discussion-2-plus-hala-upzoning-appeal-alki-community-council/ http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/video-sub-pop-party-discussion-2-plus-hala-upzoning-appeal-alki-community-council/#comments Sat, 17 Mar 2018 04:44:01 +0000 http://westseattleblog.com/?p=911510 Two big topics on the agenda for last night’s Alki Community Council meeting, and we have video of both. First – the week’s second discussion of Sub Pop Records‘ August 11th Alki Beach 30th-anniversary megaparty:

“We’re really excited,” declared Sub Pop CEO Megan Jasper as she led the briefing and discussion, as she had at the Admiral Neighborhood Association meeting two nights earlier. Most of the details were the same – as reported in WSB coverage that night – but we heard a few other details, as well as Alki residents’ questions:

The event’s fundraising component will benefit the Alki-based Southwest Seattle Historical Society (whose executive director Jeff McCord was present, as he was at ANA on Tuesday night) and a to-be-announced nonprofit “serving the homeless communities.”

As noted earlier, Alki Avenue will be closed between 57th SW and 63rd SW (you might remember that closure footprint from some of the “car-free day” events in past years). There will be four stages – one on each side of Alki Bathhouse, one by Blue Moon Burgers (57th), and one focused on family/kid entertainment on Alki Playfield. Two acts have been announced already for that stage – The Not-Its and the West Seattle School of Rock. The party’s full lineup will be announced May 29th, Sub Pop said in Admiral on Tuesday. The final band, Jasper promised last night, will be a “wonderful band and not crazy-crazy loud.”

Jasper again recounted Sub Pop’s 25th anniversary party success in Georgetown – which had three stages, closed Airport Way, and drew 30,000 people. “It went very, very well.” They also got feedback afterward that it had “lifted the community” and introduced attendees to Georgetown businesses that are still feeling the boost five years later. (SWSHS’s McCord confirmed that a major supporter of his organization, West Seattle and Georgetown property owner/entrepreneur John Bennett, vouches for the success of the party five years ago.)

A full third of Sub Pop’s staff (including Jasper herself) are West Seattleites, she reiterated: “We show our faces here, we’re proud to live here, we want this to be positive for everybody.” That includes being sure that local residents will be able to get to and from their homes.

Planning has been under way for months already (even before the party was publicly announced in January) and Sub Pop is focusing on every detail possible: “We will have toilets everywhere, trash containers everywhere, volunteers” … and that includes an extra post-event cleanup on Monday, August 13th, partnering with Puget Soundkeeper. “Our goal is to leave the space better than we found it.”

They’re working on transportation, from bikeshares to buses and beyond. And Southwest Precinct Operations Lt. Ron Smith, in attendance at ACC as usual, confirmed they are meeting with police to plan as well – he said the SPD Traffic Section is already planning to have all-hands-on-deck that day and night.

Discussion/question touched on a wide range of topics, including the need to work more closely with Seattle Parks given how much of the public space in Alki is under its auspices, and attention to details such as tides (event day is a new moon with a 12-foot high tide at 6:33 pm, we note from the tide chart).

One attendee suggested that road closures go beyond the 57th/63rd extent listed, and Lt. Smith confirmed they’re looking at a “soft closure” that could go as far as California/Harbor. Another wanted to be sure all groups that regularly use Alki are fully informed of this – the Alki Volleyball Association, for example.

Alki Playfield will be the location of one of the three planned beer gardens. What if park property is damaged? asked one attendee. “We have good insurance,” Jasper replied. And in response to a safety question a few minutes later, she said they plan to have many additional security staffers, in addition to the police who plan to work the event.

Again, you can listen to the 43-minute unedited video above to hear the entire briefing/Q&A session. Sub Pop offered to come back to each monthly ACC meeting before the event, promising “continued conversation.”

HALA UPZONING AND THE APPEAL: The City Council continues its consideration of the proposed legislation for upzoning in urban villages and multifamily/commercial property citywide, for the Housing Affordability and Livability Agenda‘s Mandatory Housing Affordability component. Meantime, the appeal filed by a coalition of community groups around the city is also proceeding, challenging the Final Environmental Impact Statement for HALA MHA as insufficient in addressing neighborhoods’ unique components, among other things. One of the local groups involved in the coalition, and pursuing its own appeal, is the Junction Neighborhood Organization; Christy Tobin-Presser from its Land Use Committee talked to the ACC about where things stand, from her perspective as a volunteer neighborhood advocate:

Following Tobin-Presser’s presentation, the ACC talked about whether to join the appeal coalition, which would require a $750 buy-in. After a somewhat extensive discussion, they decided to table the motion and pick it up again, likely next month unless the board considers it between monthly meetings. Tobin-Presser reiterated what appeal participants have said previously – they are not seeking to stop HALA MHA, but to get environmental-impact studies for each neighborhood, so unique factors are addressed. In Q&A, when asked where new Mayor Jenny Durkan stands, Tobin-Presser said they believe she’s “open to compromise” but that she might not have been if an appeal wasn’t being pursued.

The hearing before the city’s Hearing Examiner, by the way, is now scheduled for June. Other next steps, along with City Council meetings/hearings, include open houses and hearings in City Council districts – the ones for West Seattle/South Park, aka District 1, are set for May 9th and June 5th (details here).

The Alki Community Council meets on third Thursdays most months, 7 pm at Alki UCC (6115 SW Hinds).

Share This

]]>
http://westseattleblog.com/2018/03/video-sub-pop-party-discussion-2-plus-hala-upzoning-appeal-alki-community-council/feed/ 12