VIDEO: Hate-Free Delridge’s illuminating support for #ShineALight

WSB photos and video by Leda Costa

At 7 tonight, the moment that the mayor suggested people stand outside to #ShineALight showing support for immigrants and refugees, Hate-Free Delridge gathered on the Delridge pedestrian overpass.

HateFreeDelridge_ShineALight_1

WSB photojournalist Leda Costa reports about 30 people turned out and were greeted with honks from many passing vehicles during their gathering on the overpass.

No Ban No Wall Sanctuary For All

HateFreeDelridge_ShineALight_4
(Jodi Keyes and nephew Lewis Thompson held candles during #ShineALight)

Hate-Free Delridge is the community group formed last summer following a hate crime targeting a Pigeon Point family.

7 Replies to "VIDEO: Hate-Free Delridge's illuminating support for #ShineALight"

• JoB February 2, 2017 (7:16 am)

• Malcolm February 2, 2017 (9:05 am)

I want to thank these people for speaking up and shining a light of hope during very dark times.  Such bravery!  Walls and borders only divide us.  I have an idea, which I hope will take off.  How about we organize a date for us all leave our front doors open for the night, with sings saying “Refugees Welcome”?  I think this will be an effective front against the intolerance and bigotry that we’re seeing these days.  Any refugees who wander in can stay the night, and we can pack food and supplies for them to take on their journey!  Who will join me?

• Martha February 2, 2017 (9:11 am)

I personally know the gentleman holding the sign to the right of the photograph, and he has done the wonderful deed of housing four young Syrian men for the past two weeks.  I wish more of us would follow his selfless example.

• Martha February 2, 2017 (11:21 am)

Obviously this was made in jest, but I wonder how many of us would really be willing to accept refugees in our homes?

• JoB February 2, 2017 (12:37 pm)

Martha.. i think it depends on whether or not we have room.
    i couldn’t even if i had room  because of my not people friendly blind dog…
    but i don’t let the pup stop friends from dropping by..
    even friends who live in tents and may or may not have papers…
    when we have open hearts we don’t need to leave doors open

• AJP February 2, 2017 (4:00 pm)

I have been to the Anne Frank museum many times. I have literally stood in the Hiding Place at Corrie ten Boom’s house. I have thought a lot about what I would do if I were in a situation like that. I hope I would be brave enough to shelter someone who is afraid for their life and has no where to turn. For now, I welcome refugees into my community. I have donated time, money, and goods to help refugees (and homeless, and vets). If it comes down to it… I’ll find a way to shelter someone and then send them on their way with as much as I can give them.

• justme February 2, 2017 (4:19 pm)

But, do we really want to become another Sweden? That’s my worry.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann