West Seattle weather: Tonight’s dramatic, dark clouds

September 2, 2014 at 8:47 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle weather | 9 Comments

8:47 PM: It’s often the clouds that make a sunset spectacular … even if they seem ominous. Our somewhat stormy evening brought dark-cloud views in two directions – above, Jacqueline’s photo looking westward; below, Lise’s photo looking to the northeast:

Thanks for sharing!

9:28 PM: We should mention, these clouds brought big rain to some other parts of the area. And even more beautiful sights here – Mark Dale has shared this:

Newest forecast says clearer, warmer weather will return, so summer’s not quite done yet.

9:50 PM: And shortly after we updated … the rain began here, in earnest, as you are probably well aware!

9 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Here was the view from the north end of Vashon Island at about 7pm! https://twitter.com/sudsymaggie/status/506985328599924736

Comment by Maggie — 9:05 pm September 2, 2014 #

2. I was secretly hoping for a Sharknado.

Comment by Steph — 9:28 pm September 2, 2014 #

3. And NOW, after I add a third photo, I can hear it starting to rain.

Comment by WSB — 9:32 pm September 2, 2014 #

4. Recorded a brief hyperlapse of one band of clouds blowing over downtown. http://youtu.be/x7X-v_RRgQs Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Kevin — 9:36 pm September 2, 2014 #

5. As someone who travels a lot around PS seeing clients, I can say the weather here is always more beautiful, more likely to be sunny, and have less rainfall than other parts of greater Puget Sound or Seattle!!! Go check out the weather stats! I have been watching this for years. I am a long time resident of western West Seattle. BUT, please don’t let this get out as we will be overrun by folks wanting to move in!!!! Mums the word!!!!

Comment by Out for a walk — 9:52 pm September 2, 2014 #

6. I was taking pictures from my balcony. Reminded me of weather I knew in more southern states a long time ago. From far north of me I could see the cloud swirl going west, to the direct west of me coming at me headed east and now and then dropping clouds and dramatically colder air. I kept asking my self if a cyclone was going to evolve out of it. First the whole cloud mass headed north then it changed its mind and came back.

Comment by cj — 11:06 pm September 2, 2014 #

7. definitely ominous. Was at Admiral Safeway, parked on the upper lot, and just sat there and watched them for a bit before leaving.

Comment by JanS — 11:19 pm September 2, 2014 #

8. We did just learn that there’s been a small power outage for several hours in Fairmount Ravine, attributed by City Light to a tree; the resident (one of 21 households that are out, per the map) saw a branch on wires and suspects that’s the culprit. Wind did kick up for a while.

Comment by WSB — 11:27 pm September 2, 2014 #

9. This is what was chasing me from Everett southward down I-5. Great pix Jaqueline! Something wicked this way comes indeed.

Comment by JayDee — 7:28 pm September 3, 2014 #