Update: Driver hurt after flipping car across from Fairmount Playfield

August 17, 2014 at 12:42 am | In West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 15 Comments

(WSB photo by Katie Meyer)
12:42 AM: Police are closing the southbound side of Fauntleroy Way SW right now in the Fairmount Playfield area, between Dawson and Brandon (map), because of what we’re told is a flipped-car crash. At least one person is hurt, described as a woman in her 30s.

12:59 AM: Adding photos. Police say the woman has been taken to the hospital; the car is on its side, and officers are awaiting a tow truck to clear it away. Witnesses tell us a parked car was also hit. (added) Second photo from WSB’s Katie Meyer actually shows at least two parked cars damaged.

1. I live in a townhouse on Fauntleroy and was just trying to go to sleep when I heard sirens and now see flashing lights from the cop cars that have closed the street. I hope everyone is ok! I would go check the scene out, but I’m on crutches. Now I hear a news helicopter overhead.

Comment by Erin — 12:50 am August 17, 2014 #

2. This happened right in front of my apartment building and it sounded terrible! We ran out to try and help seconds later but others were already there and had the poor woman out of her car. It was a shocking sight to see, I really hope that she is ok.

Comment by breezygirl — 12:59 am August 17, 2014 #

3. Erin, that’s not a news helicopter … they don’t operate at this hour, or on weekends (except for special broadcast events). Guardian One (the law-enforcement helicopter) isn’t on this case either but could be passing en route to or from something else. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 1:05 am August 17, 2014 #

4. I also live in a townhome here, the sound woke me up and it seems that things are clearing up now. Hope she is okay.

Comment by JD — 1:08 am August 17, 2014 #

5. It hit one parked car and shoved that one into the car parked in front of it…so at least two parked cars crunched. :-(

Comment by Mookie — 1:08 am August 17, 2014 #

6. Just updated with that.

Comment by WSB — 1:11 am August 17, 2014 #

7. Geez. Another crash into parked cars. I am very glad it sounds like the woman will be okay (and that at least it was not a hit and run like so often happens), but I suspect texting and/or booze killed a new Toyota FJ Cruiser. Bummer.

Comment by Chuck and Sally's Van Man — 9:24 am August 17, 2014 #

8. What happened to the driver in the end?

Comment by Brian — 11:18 am August 17, 2014 #

9. Taken to the hospital, as noted in last paragraph. Whether she is still in the hospital, we have no way of finding out, not knowing her name.

Comment by WSB — 11:55 am August 17, 2014 #

10. I too hope this driver is okay but the question still looms how do you flip a car on a straight street, texting or sleeping or under the influence? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment by sillygoose — 12:52 pm August 17, 2014 #

11. We’ve had that discussion in other threads, I’ll look up the direct links later. I believe it was the south Admiral crash zone on Andover in which it came up …

Comment by WSB — 1:02 pm August 17, 2014 #

12. Wasn’t this street the victim of a road diet?

Aren’t road diets supposed to prevent these types of collisions?

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 2:17 pm August 17, 2014 #

13. @Sillygoose: I made a similar observation but mine got scrubbed for some unapparent reason. Hate when that happens… Unless for some medical reason (it happens), this HAD to be a case texting or DUI. Even swerving to miss a raccoon would likely not end in this kind of accident unless hampered in some way. Glad the driver will be okay. Also glad it was not a hit and run like so often seems to happen!

Comment by Chuck and Sally's Van Man — 2:37 pm August 17, 2014 #

14. This crash happened directly I front of where I live – my next door neighbors car was smashed possibly totalled by this car. What I can’t figure out is how a car (I assume traveling south bound- assumption made by how the three parked cars were hit) ended up on its side (passenger side down) facing north in the south bound side… My brain can’t even reenact how that could happen!!!

Comment by WSjme — 7:55 pm August 17, 2014 #

15. @wshipster — no, a road diet cannot prevent single-car accidents; nothing can absolutely prevent them, really, as they can involve a medical condition, inattention, a dog running in front of the car, etc. WSB has published articles that include stats on how road diets work.
    No doubt Google’s driverless car will take a big chunk out of all types of accidents, but will likely create other problems.

Comment by metrognome — 11:05 pm August 17, 2014 #