Update: Helicopter flybys along the shore

August 30, 2014 at 12:10 am | In Helicopter, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

Thanks to everyone who’s reported a helicopter seeming to be searching for something off the west-facing West Seattle shore. Don’t know yet what it’s up to, but wanted to let you know we’re trying to find out.

1:12 AM: No info so far.

SATURDAY MORNING: Commenter FM says they were searching for overdue paddleboarders. (Here’s hoping they turned up, safe.)

1. Aha, TR.I just KNEW you’d be on this first. Looks like US Coast Guard helicopter to me. Thanks, as always, for being always one of the first responders and our eyes and ears in West Seattle!

Comment by AlkiGirlWithMS — 12:17 am August 30, 2014 #

2. Definitely not law enforcement … I’ve been listening and there’s nothing up in this area … so without a corresponding ground response, we’re not having any luck so far, but if at any point tonight or beyond we do find out, we’ll update.

Comment by WSB — 12:32 am August 30, 2014 #

3. Hi, They’re coming by the North-facing side as well. Looks like Coast Guard to me. I just KNEW you’d be out ahead of the pack to.jump on his one. Congratulations

Comment by AlkiGrlWithMS — 12:33 am August 30, 2014 #

4. It was flying really low, not many feet above the water but had no search lights on. Finally decided to check the WS blog to see what was happening. Sure enough here is your story! Thanks, Tracy.

Comment by Out for a walk — 12:45 am August 30, 2014 #

5. We live on the hill overlooking the Bar-S field and watched as the helicopter made several circuits of the point by the lighthouse, with the spotlight aimed along the coastline. What was surprising to us was that it was flying no more than 100ft above sea level and maintained very low altitude throughout.

Hearing helicopter rotors is not unusual here on the point, but looking off my back deck and seeing a helicopter doing tight circles at eye level is not a common thing. It was remarkably low.

Comment by Thom — 12:54 am August 30, 2014 #

6. There’s this Mexican navy ship on the pier 66. Do any of you guys know if you have to pay to go in and see the ship? I know for sure you can I just don’t know if you have to pay or not ? I know it’s totally off topic I didn’t know where else to go.

Comment by Ana — 1:42 am August 30, 2014 #

7. Wish I knew for sure. Sounds like it’s free, though.

Comment by WSB — 1:58 am August 30, 2014 #

8. I toured that tall ship yesterday, and it’s free. Neat boat!

Comment by RS — 9:22 am August 30, 2014 #

9. The helicopter, along with a couple Coast Guard small boats and the fireboat Leschi, were out looking for several paddle boarders who had not returned to the rental shack near Marination and were several hours overdue.

Comment by FM — 11:17 am August 30, 2014 #

10. Thanks, FM. I hope they eventually returned – have not heard anything further this morning about a search (or worse).

Comment by WSB — 11:21 am August 30, 2014 #

11. Were these paddleboarders ever found? I’m a local paddleboarder and am pretty curious how this ended up.

Comment by markinthedark — 9:07 am September 1, 2014 #

12. No paddle boarders were lost.
    A stolen credit card was used to rent boards and they were then stolen.
    My staff did exactly what should have happened when we have a waiver and cc and 2 missing boards.
    That shack is Alki Kayak Tours and we still haven’t lost anyone after 10 years of turning people onto paddling Puget Sound.

Comment by greg — 1:24 pm September 1, 2014 #