West Seattle development: Former Admiralty House Antiques building ‘unveiled’

July 14, 2014 at 9:22 am | In Development, West Seattle news | 15 Comments

(WSB photo taken Sunday morning)
Thanks to Martin for the tip that the construction cover finally came off 2141 California SW this weekend. The 1920s-era former home of Admiralty House Antiques – closed when its owner, the late Fred Dau, retired a year ago, and sold a few months later – has been undergoing renovations for about six months. It’s been under a white canvas/tarp for most of that time; according to the city’s online files, most of the renovations have involved window replacement/repair. Workers had also said early on that the space was being divided; no public word yet on tenants – city files mention “office” as the expected use. Plans to build townhouse/live-work units behind it, fronting SW Walker, are still going through the city permit process.

15 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. I love this old building such charm and workmanship, glad to see the new owner appreciates great architecture as well.

Comment by sillygoose — 9:43 am July 14, 2014 #

2. I think it’s a stretch to admire this building for its workmanship and “great” architecture. This basic design speaks more about simplicity and cost efficiency from a different era. I think it works because at one story its scale is the perfect proportion for pedestrians. And the shop fronts and row of transom windows seem to be a design language that people in Seattle neighborhoods readily embrace. I’m happy to see this structure being revived.

Comment by cjboffoli — 11:03 am July 14, 2014 #

3. I worker told me as I walk walking by that half of it will be a restaurant, and half will be an office.

Comment by Margaret — 11:52 am July 14, 2014 #

4. “the late Fred Dau”? when did he die?

Comment by Diane — 12:15 pm July 14, 2014 #

5. January. http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Fred-L.-Dau-98993432 – I spotted a quick mention at some point and reached out to offer to publish an obituary or write a story and the offer was politely declined. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:17 pm July 14, 2014 #

6. had no idea; sad to learn about this

Comment by Diane — 12:48 pm July 14, 2014 #

7. Thanks for the link, but there’s nothing there; really, the family or whoever said no story on the incredibly long life of this man? thankfully we at least have your story from last year; jeesh!

Comment by Diane — 1:03 pm July 14, 2014 #

8. Some people are very private, which I know is increasingly odd and unthinkable with social media. My friends and family are under warning that I will haunt them Paranormal Activity-style if they publish an obituary or anything similar when I die.

Comment by Alphonse — 3:31 pm July 14, 2014 #

9. One had been published for Mr. Dau’s wife Marjorie the year before, but who knows, perhaps it was indeed his wish to go quietly, and that’s why I didn’t publish. But he was kind enough to talk with us – I believe at the suggestion of the rep who handled the store’s closeout sale – months earlier, for the story Diane mentions (which is linked in this one).

Comment by WSB — 3:35 pm July 14, 2014 #

10. I love the workmanship and architecture as well; the simplicity “from a different era” is exactly what I find charming.

Comment by RG — 5:13 pm July 14, 2014 #

11. Thank you to the owners for not tearing this down and building another “modern Seattle” painted in multiple bright colors!!

Comment by admiral neighbor — 8:17 pm July 14, 2014 #

12. YES. nicer to see it wasn’t flattened for micro housing or some other greedy over development problem. GO OLD BUILDING! Just got back from a weekend in Portland SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING than the ugly nightmare of development thats happening here. They’re actually using their old buildings instead of wiping them off the face of the earth in the name of faux progress.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 10:39 pm July 14, 2014 #

13. Love this building — and the new facelift! Way to preserve and improve an interesting piece of architecture.

Comment by Alice — 11:46 am July 15, 2014 #

14. Fred and Marge Dau were two of the most wonderful people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.
    I am glad to see the former Admiralty House Antiques building preserved and spruced-up.
    I never pass it without thinking of Fred and Marge, their kindness and cheerfulness, and their shop’s many interesting and beautiful treasures.

Comment by pupsarebest — 12:23 pm July 15, 2014 #