West Seattle Crime Watch: One bike stolen, one left in its place

July 17, 2014 at 11:36 am | In Crime, Seaview, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

Mark is looking for both his stolen bike and the owner of a bike that turned up where his had been: “The curious thing was that whoever took my bike (adult size) left an almost brand-new child’s-size bike. I assume they felt mine was an upgrade.” It happened on Sunday afternoon in Seaview, 47th/Findlay (map). Here’s the bike left behind:

It’s a “small Giant,” he adds. His stolen bike is “a dark gray Diamondback Trace with Planet Bike fenders and a black rear rack.” Seen it? And/or have any idea who the left-behind bike belongs to?

7 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. Can you can “chip” a bike like a pet :)

Comment by sc — 1:14 pm July 17, 2014 #

2. There is as it happens a national bike registry. You register your bike’s make, model, and serial number for a small fee. If it gets stolen you report it, and if it turns up somewhere police can check the registry for who it belongs to.

Comment by datamuse — 1:46 pm July 17, 2014 #

3. I have observed quite a collection of bicycles from time to time along Utah ave S between S Dawson and S Brandon if anyone ever gets their bicycle stolen.

Comment by NW — 1:47 pm July 17, 2014 #

4. Did you take the Giant? Maybe your bike was stolen and then later some kid just happened to put his or her bike there.

Comment by D — 1:54 pm July 17, 2014 #

5. The giant in the picture resembles the bike I had stolen from my backyard about 3 monthly hs ago off of 14th in Elmgrove.

Comment by Beaujolais — 1:42 am July 18, 2014 #

6. That’s my daughter’s bike!!! It was a few days old when stolen on Saturday! I have a picture of her on it to prove. She will be so happy. How do I contact you? We live on 40th and Cloverdale. Sorry about your bike and thank you for posting.

Comment by Jp — 9:28 am July 18, 2014 #

7. My neighbors car was broken into the same night the bike was stolen. My guess is the same person stole the bike then.

Comment by Jp — 9:33 am July 18, 2014 #