West Seattle Crime Watch: Another ‘flasher’ incident

July 18, 2014 at 1:42 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 28 Comments

1:42 PM: For the second time this week, a case of lewd behavior/indecent exposure – reported as a comment on our story about the first incident (Tuesday in Admiral):

I actually experienced a very similar situation yesterday at the corner of SW Myrtle and 36th around 4:30 pm. I was walking my dog around the park and was approaching 36th when a man in a silver SUV opened his car door with no pants on and masturbated in front of me – laughing and waving. Disgusting.

I first saw him in a silver SUV parked halfway in someone’s driveway and then saw him re-park in another driveway – I assumed he was lost. The incident happened about 5 minutes later when I walked around the block (at which point he re-parked again), which leads me to think he was following me. I didn’t have a phone on me, but thankfully I caught up with someone in the park who did, and we called 911 immediately. The police responded quickly and took the report – but by that time he had left. Unfortunately, I was so disturbed/unsettled that I didn’t get a good description (I ran towards 35th so as to be in a more public place). He was a bigger framed guy in a silver SUV. The police had mentioned that something very similar happened earlier in the week (I’m assuming it’s the same incident posted above). I hope they catch this guy – it’s very disturbing.

We are following up with police right now, asking questions including whether this case and the 38th/Stevens case are believed to be related, and if there’s any other information to report. We’ll add to this story when we hear back.

4:17 PM: Obtained the report on this second incident – which ends with an acknowledgment of the similarities to the Tuesday incident in Admiral. No other information besides what the victim points out above; she was not close enough to get the plate but would likely recognize the vehicle if she saw it again, she told police.

1. c’mon people; if you see this guy in this same silver SUV, calm down and get the damn license plate

Comment by Diane — 2:06 pm July 18, 2014 #

2. Diane that is really an incredible rude comment you made. Seeing a man masterubating and laughing in front of you is very scary. Sometimes in the moment your not thinking ” hey I better jot this pervs. License plate down”!!!!!

Comment by Runner Girl — 2:18 pm July 18, 2014 #

3. I agree with Diane. Smile and wave back if you have to – just get the damn license plate. Either that, or hit him with some pepper spray while his hands are busy.

Comment by anonyme — 2:46 pm July 18, 2014 #

4. The one months ago?

Comment by Wasn't the last guy a silver SUV — 3:00 pm July 18, 2014 #

5. not rude at all; factual; women need to take their power back and be smart; this dude is counting on women/girls being scared/flustered; he is obviously getting off on women/girls freaking out; stay calm, and get the license plate so the police can find him and get him off our streets

Comment by Diane — 3:34 pm July 18, 2014 #

6. I agree with Diane. Someone has to step up and get this guys license plate # and get him off the street!

Comment by WsBoB — 3:34 pm July 18, 2014 #

7. better yet, pepper spray his parts. Touching himself might be the last thing he’d want to do after that. :)

Not that I’m advocating approaching this guy but how satisfying would that be?

Comment by maude — 3:53 pm July 18, 2014 #

8. I also agree with Diane-while it would be very scary for a child to witness this behavior, a grown woman should keep her wits about her and get the license plate info.

Comment by marianne — 4:07 pm July 18, 2014 #

9. Did NOT seem that the license plate was visible in this situation. I noted that we were working to follow up with police. I just minutes ago got their report. The victim in yesterday’s incident was some yards away – close enough to see the car and see what the guy was doing but NOT close enough for the license plate, even if it were turned toward her – she was in the park, the vehicle turned up at the northeast corner of 36th/Myrtle alongside the park (this is in the corner by the water tower). Police did note the similarity to the incident in Admiral two days earlier. – TR

Comment by WSB — 4:14 pm July 18, 2014 #

10. Am I correct in the locations that these two incidents both took place ver near community centers–Hiawatha and then High Point CC? I would like to know how/if staff at WS community centers have been notified about this. And what precautions are/can be taken.There are many kids and young adult (staff members) participating in the summer camp programs, and the brazen behavior of this guy should be a major concern.

Comment by Comm Centers — 4:47 pm July 18, 2014 #

11. Good question, don’t know, and won’t be able to find out at this hour. In the first incident, the victims had been walking home from Hiawatha but I believe 38th/Stevens is a few blocks away at least; 36th/Myrtle is ~3 blocks from HPCC. Both of these incidents wouldn’t have come to our attention without having heard from the victims – e-mail in the first case, and the story comment in the second case.

Comment by WSB — 5:05 pm July 18, 2014 #

12. Any more detail re: “silver SUV” – like a sedan SUV (e.g., Subaru), pickup, jeep-type, 4×4. There are many types so would help for those on the lookout.

Comment by Ray — 5:06 pm July 18, 2014 #

13. Make sure you hit him in the face with pepper spray THEN hit his wanker. It WILL hurt… a lot.

Comment by WTF — 5:43 pm July 18, 2014 #

14. 36th & Myrtle is that newer park next on the grounds as the water tower (close to Guadalupe Church) – NOT HighPoint CC. Are we assuming the perb is a white guy? West side of 35th.

Comment by BMC — 5:45 pm July 18, 2014 #

15. I believe the commenter was just remarking that it is not far away. 1st guy was white, per the victim, as I added here: http://westseattleblog.com/2014/07/west-seattle-crime-watch-flasher-reported-in-admiral-area – the second person has a better description of car than perp as explained above … TR

Comment by WSB — 5:54 pm July 18, 2014 #

16. If I spot him – I promise to personally remove him from the streets :).

Comment by Judgement Day Donny — 8:52 pm July 18, 2014 #

17. My fiancé had a very similar experience while on a run a couple weeks back, she said she noticed a white Toyota 4runner with a bike rack on it and that it seemed to keep popping up while on her run. As she was running up California Way Sw near Hamilton park she noticed the vehicle again and as she passed she looked in the window and a guy was masturbating.

Comment by Tony — 9:08 pm July 18, 2014 #

18. So many of you operate so perfectly in every situation it’s hard to imagine we could ever have more than one incident of any kind around here with all the smartest, calmest, pepper-spray armed individuals living here.

Comment by Jason — 10:36 pm July 18, 2014 #

19. With all the camera phones around today how come no one has a photo of this Jackhole or his car? Get a photo of the license plate as he drives away please.

Comment by Noelle — 10:49 pm July 18, 2014 #

20. This is disgusting. This pervert’s doing this to children and adults. Probably not much longer until he escalates.
    I hope this is top priority for SPD.

Comment by ScubaFrog — 1:25 pm July 19, 2014 #

21. Jason – Some of us have it more together, yes.

Comment by Fabulous Phabian — 2:09 pm July 19, 2014 #

22. If this ever happened to me and I had my wits about me, I’d point, laugh and yell ” it looks like a penis, only smaller!”
    Then snap a photo and run off.

Comment by Fj — 6:57 pm July 19, 2014 #

23. Phabian – ‘together’ is subjective. Telling victims they’re doing a bad job is not really a sign of togetherness in my opinion. Some of you most together folks will put anyone down, even for the simple act of witnessing a man flashing. How many crimes have you folks solved this month?

Comment by Jason — 8:05 pm July 19, 2014 #

24. Jason, you are spot on with your comment. I guess these folks have not been followed before, since the first instinct for an average person is to quickly run away… fight or flight, right? But congrats to all those brave, calm, take_the_power_back people that will not run but actually stop, get closer and take a picture, take a long and good look at a license plate, pepper spray or get close enough to kick this dude in the balls. That sounds so reasonable, so I will be waiting for that report when this guy does it again.

Comment by HaveBeenFollowed — 9:10 pm July 19, 2014 #

25. Incredibly sad that so many people are blaming the victims. Telling them to stop and get closer when this perp could take the next step and grab them is not a good option. If they have the ability or opportunity to get more info great but better to be safe. And yes I understand the need for more info in order to get him off the streets and address the behavior. Neighbors blaming victims for doing what they need to to feel safe is dissapointing.

Comment by Saddened — 11:51 pm July 21, 2014 #

26. I had a similar experience tonight while I was out walking on Beach Drive. Guy in his vehicle pretending to ask for directions – masturbating. Was in a tan SUV, so don’t know if it’s the same guy. Got his license number and description, and police went to his house. He’s a sex offender. So, maybe we’ll get this guy off the streets!

Comment by CaughtHim? — 10:41 pm July 22, 2014 #

27. Sorry to hear it happened but will check the case tomorrow, “Caught” – if you have a case # and would consider sending it to us, in case I have trouble finding it on the police log … editor@westseattleblog.com

Comment by WSB — 11:15 pm July 22, 2014 #