WSB Lost/Found Pets happy ending: Sampson the big, friendly dog makes it home, with help!

June 5, 2014 at 1:16 am | In Pets, West Seattle news | 24 Comments

We often hear about happy endings from lost/found pets posted on the WSB Lost/Found Pets page – but we don’t often get to see them. Sampson “the big, friendly dog” is finally home tonight and one of his people, Steve, shared the reunion photo. Most lost dogs are reunited relatively quickly – but Sampson was away for four days, and it played out in an unusual way: A commenter on Sampson’s WSB post spotted a “found dog” flyer and mentioned it:

Sampson’s person Steve had difficulty getting his messages returned … but then:

We know from the viewing statistics on the Pets page that some people look at it regularly just so they can be of help if they see a stray pet – or a flyer! – so, thank you to everyone who has continued to help to reunite lost pets and their people.

P.S. Speaking of which, another pet came home this week after an extended absence, thanks to sharp-eyed WSB readers – a “found” pet posted here turned out to be a cat also posted as “lost” six weeks earlier, and now Babycat is where he belongs.

P.P.S. The top of the Pets page explains how to send info/photo if you have lost a pet or if you have found one that is in your custody.

1. The picture says it all!

So happy for Sampson and his People, and huge kudos to all that had a part in making this reunion happen!

Mike

Comment by miws — 5:50 am June 5, 2014 #

2. That dog is beautiful, now wishing I had one like him. Congrats on getting him back, its scary that someone has him and is thinking of keeping him, he’s clearly an awesome dog.

Comment by alki resident — 6:25 am June 5, 2014 #

3. love…

Comment by Marianne — 6:37 am June 5, 2014 #

4. oh YAY! so happy to see this morning! I kept seeing the comments on that lost dog post show up in my RSS reader and kept hoping I’d soon see a comment that he was reunited with his owners! he seems like a big loving part of that family.

Comment by sam-c — 6:59 am June 5, 2014 #

5. Yay!!! I have been following this daily, and having dogs of my own, I know the anxiety Steve must have had. So happy to take a peek at the blog this morning and see this happy story! :)

Comment by ML — 7:10 am June 5, 2014 #

6. What a moving photo!! So glad you got your pup back.

Comment by Sandal41 — 7:12 am June 5, 2014 #

7. Awesome story & pic! I’d be devastated if I lost my dog, I’m sure you guys are ecstatic … congrats!!!

Comment by drahcir61 — 7:42 am June 5, 2014 #

8. Love seeing good stories on the WS blog. Since we’re talking about pets, is there any update on Lulu – the unfortunate dog that had been hit? I’ve been looking for any updates but haven’t seen anything. It would be great to know how she and her people are doing.

Comment by Kravitz — 8:26 am June 5, 2014 #

9. Awww great news! I saw the sign this morning at my bus stop and hoped he’d be found soon. He just looks so cuddly and sweet.

Comment by Lindsey — 8:37 am June 5, 2014 #

10. Love this photo!!

Comment by add — 8:54 am June 5, 2014 #

11. Awesome news! But do I interpret the story correctly in that it took 30 hours of wrangling with the “caretakers” to get the big fella back? It was stated they also fell in love with him.. I hope I’m just not fully caffeinated yet, as that would be emotional distress of the highest order, and just wrong on so many levels. But I’ll focus on the good news (as are the owners, I’m sure!) and send a hearty congrats!!

Comment by Yes, yes, yes. — 8:54 am June 5, 2014 #

12. I believe by “wrangling,” judging by part of the comment dialogue (my screen grabs represent 4 out of 16 comments on the original lost/found post), Steve had a hard time getting a hold of them.

Comment by WSB — 8:57 am June 5, 2014 #

13. This picture made my morning! Thanks for posting this.

Comment by Gwen — 9:34 am June 5, 2014 #

14. Glad Sampson made it home. Re: wrangling; I found a lost dog at Westcrest called many times the number in the tag, no reply so I took him home for safety. Went back up and found the distraught caretakers as the owners were on vacation! All ended well but sometimes it’s hard to link up with the owner for a variety of reasons. But really glad Steve and the big boy are reunited

Comment by Steve f — 11:45 am June 5, 2014 #

15. What a great photo and awesome story! Made my day!

Comment by Jen — 12:00 pm June 5, 2014 #

16. OMG I’m here at work eating my lunch and reading the blog…and I see this and now I’m so happy I’m crying into my salad!!!
    So, so happy for Sampson and his family that they’re together again!!!!

Comment by payrollgirl — 12:57 pm June 5, 2014 #

17. was the dog chipped?

Comment by sc — 1:28 pm June 5, 2014 #

18. Two years ago on the 4th, our dog got spooked by fireworks and somehow escaped the fence. Within three hours, this community asset of a site reunited us when a couple found her blocks and blocks away.

Comment by Candrewb — 3:36 pm June 5, 2014 #

19. YEAH! I see Steve walking Sampson past my house all the time. I instantly fell in love with the big fella, my heart broke when I saw that he was missing. So glad that he is home safe!

Comment by Ben Rupp — 3:43 pm June 5, 2014 #

20. Chipping is irrelevant, sadly. While many animals are chipped very few owners actually keep their information updated, so no way to get in touch with them.

Comment by Ray — 3:44 pm June 5, 2014 #

21. This picture is so awesome. Made my day.

Comment by raybro — 9:41 pm June 5, 2014 #

22. I think Steve should put that dog to work. I would pay to get a hug from Sampson!

Comment by wallofjenn — 2:26 pm June 6, 2014 #

23. Kravitz- I was informed that Lulu’s people were located but ultimately relinquished ownership (possibly due to the high vet bill?). I believe she is being fostered currently. Not clear on what will happen next.

Comment by Jennifer — 2:30 pm June 6, 2014 #