West Seattle schools: Lafayette Elementary says goodbye to Ms. Belfor and Ms. Rollins

June 12, 2014 at 10:51 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle schools | 9 Comments

For years, Lafayette Popcorns jump-rope performances have enthralled people around the peninsula – but student jump-ropers were onstage at the school last night for a bittersweet occasion: The PE teacher who kept the Popcorns hopping, Laurie Belfor, is retiring after 18 years. The Lafayette community threw a party last night for her and another longtime teacher who is saying goodbye, Sharon Rollins (below right) (31 years):

Good luck to Ms. Rollins and Ms. Belfor in their next adventures!

P.S. Anyone special leaving your school? Let us know!

1. We will certainly miss them! (My 10-year-old couldn’t stop crying long enough to go give Ms Belfor a hug at the party, last night.) We actually have 3 or 4 more staff members leaving Lafayette at the end of the year (A pretty significant one — Our VP Karmen Nordhougen, is going to be VP at another school next year), though I don’t believe they’re retiring.

Comment by Carrie Ann — 11:38 am June 12, 2014 #

2. Goodbye to two excellent teachers! We will miss you both.

Comment by SS — 11:43 am June 12, 2014 #

3. All the best to both Laurie and Sharon! Thank you for all you’ve given to so many of our kids over the years. You will truly be remembered well!

Comment by Marian J — 12:20 pm June 12, 2014 #

4. Thanks to Ms. Belfor for having such a positive impact on my life, as well as the lives of so many other kids, particularly her Popcorns jump rope team over the years. Some of my best memories (even now in my 30s) involve performing and competing as a Popcorn. It was so great to see Ms. Belfor, Mrs. Crabtree and a handful of my fellow teammates and old Cooper kids last night (I’m talking Cooper in the Boren building…and yes, we survived elementary school in that building and are even thriving adults now!). I’m glad a few of us could make it to celebrate one of our favorite teachers! Now, take some time to relax, Laurie!

Comment by The Original MB — 1:02 pm June 12, 2014 #

5. In elementary school I was fortunate enough to have had both of these teachers, Ms. Belfor every year for PE and Ms. Rollins for 3rd grade.They were both such wonderful teachers and I still fondly look back on my years at Lafayette. They both contributed so much and they will be missed by many students, both older and younger. Good luck to both of you going on from here, you’ve impacted the lives of many and I’m sure you’ll both continue to do so in many ways!

Comment by Casey W — 4:49 pm June 12, 2014 #

6. As a neighbor of the school it has been a pleasure to see the positive changes in Lafayette’s p.e. program after the arrival of Ms Belfor. Used to be like living by a military basic training camp, with sobbing children when it was time for gym.

Comment by gina — 7:45 am June 13, 2014 #

7. oh wow!! Ms Rollin’s was my second grade teacher!!!!! Way back in 1988-ish :)

Comment by AM — 9:20 am June 13, 2014 #

8. Congratulations! Wow, Ms Rollins looks the same. This is coming from my 1985 memory. I never had her but I do remember her. Have a great retirement!

Comment by LyndaB — 11:07 am June 13, 2014 #

9. I had Ms. Rollins back in second grade as well! 1987-88. She was a wonderful and giving teacher. What a great lady!

Happy Retirement, I hope you have a grand adventure.

Nikki Rice