Update: Police response in Highland Park starts with stolen-car crash

June 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm | In Crime, Highland Park, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

2:09 PM: If you’re noticing a heavy police presence in Highland Park right now, here’s what’s going on (per scanner, though we have a crew arriving in the area): A car reported as stolen crashed through a fence on 11th SW; at least one person ran from the car and was caught by a citizen on 12th SW. Some confusion over the latter location ensued, briefly, but has been resolved.

2:31 PM UPDATE: Adding photo of the crashed car – which, from the plate and appearance, is this one tweeted by SPD just this morning:

(No word so far whether it was stolen in WS or elsewhere.)

The suspect was taken to the Southwest Precinct.

1. Now THAT’S what I’m talking about!

Comment by Beth — 2:19 pm June 9, 2014 #

2. This absolutely has to stop. Every day there is a car stolen around here, and two reported within minutes of each other today.

Comment by alki resident — 2:42 pm June 9, 2014 #

3. I hope that isn’t the amazing garden on 11th and Elmgrove. She is the nicest person ever.

Comment by melissa — 3:13 pm June 9, 2014 #

4. Oh heck yeah!!

In my best RoboCop voice: “Thank you citizen. Your bravery is noted and appreciated. Criminal apprehended. Now please return to your domicile.” Haha. I always love futuristic movies where they use the term “citizen.” And VERY GLAD this one got involved. In all seriousness, thank you.

Comment by Yes, yes, yes. — 3:20 pm June 9, 2014 #

5. Only word I really had – not knowing if male, female, adult, teenager, bystander, resident, passerby … still don’t know, as our person photographed that scene and then hustled over to check out the original scene. Maybe they, or someone who knows them, will find this report and tell us more eventually! – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:31 pm June 9, 2014 #

6. thats weird, I saw that guy walking away (east on holden) when I went out to see what was going on. The must’ve seen him and brought him back around???

that dude is NOT a friendly neighbor.

Comment by PW — 3:35 pm June 9, 2014 #

7. melissa, judging from the plantings, it *is* her yard. She is indeed very nice. Professional plants woman, as I recall. That spot is right where a lovely newish orangey-pink rose has been pleasing my passing eye on my walks. I love her year-round sparkly lights too. Dang punks. Probably all tweeked up. Sigh. Again.

Comment by westseattledood — 3:43 pm June 9, 2014 #

8. The problem is that these older cars are just stupidly easy to steal. My car is a 2012 model and a fairly basic one. It’s alarm is designed to kill the engine block completely in some sort of magical bypass. Unless you have the key fob the car is nearly unstealable. We’re gonna be dealing with this crap for a looooooooong time until all older cars are aged out of the supply. Say, 2030? 2040? Once that’s here they’ll move on to stealing other things but at least the cars will be fine.

Comment by Older cars aging out will end this — 3:50 pm June 9, 2014 #

9. What’s the cross street?

Sadly, I’m assuming this will result in yet another catch-and-release.

Nice work by the civilian in apprehending this dud!

Comment by Dave — 3:53 pm June 9, 2014 #

10. It is on the corner of 11th and Elmgrove.

Comment by melissa — 4:03 pm June 9, 2014 #

11. dave, the handcuffs pic is at 12th & Holden. Thats the expedition with the alarm that goes off all night :(

Comment by PW — 4:04 pm June 9, 2014 #

12. This homeowner is the best neighbor and has the best garden in neighborhood. My dog is seriously T.O.’d about this senseless crime! Shame on the perp…

Comment by mike anderson — 4:56 pm June 9, 2014 #

13. This occurred at our friend Debbie’s house where she takes great pride in her beautiful yard. Sorry to see some brainless criminal thief had to destroy this gift to our community. To the loser who stole this car and could have killed someone, time to open your eyes if you have a soul and make a serious lifestyle change

Comment by Jenni — 6:55 pm June 9, 2014 #