Congratulations! Emmy Award for ‘Diver Laura’ James

June 8, 2014 at 2:11 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 15 Comments

West Seattle advocate/activist/photographer/etc. “Diver Laura” James – who often shares amazing undersea views with us here – is now also Emmy Award-winning “Diver Laura”! Saturday night, when the Northwest regional Emmy Awards were presented, she won for her photography in a collaborative report about sea otters and climate change, produced for a consortium including KCTS 9 – the report was honored as best “health/science feature/segment.” (We had mentioned the nomination back in April.) Thanks to Laura for sharing photos, including her REAL reaction, compared to the onstage decorum:

Here’s the full list of winners.

1. Congratulations, Laura! Well earned!

And great reaction! :-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 5:46 am June 8, 2014 #

2. Well deserved. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your work with us landlubbers.

Comment by onion — 6:16 am June 8, 2014 #

3. Congrats Larua~You are such a sexy woman!!!

Comment by justadude — 7:53 am June 8, 2014 #

4. Congratulations and well deserved! Laura’s work is inspiring!

Comment by k — 7:55 am June 8, 2014 #

5. Congratulations, Diver Laura! You are so deserving of this.

Comment by M — 8:26 am June 8, 2014 #

6. LOVE her coverage of our undersea life here and everything that’s happening. We are lucky to have her local. Thanks diver Laura!!

Comment by Abbyk — 8:26 am June 8, 2014 #

7. congrats.. you got it the old fashioned way.. you earned it!

Comment by JoB — 8:30 am June 8, 2014 #

8. Bravo, Diver Laura! We love you :-)

Comment by Enviromaven — 11:00 am June 8, 2014 #

9. Congrates!

Comment by Al — 11:27 am June 8, 2014 #

10. Congratulations also to West Seattle’s Brian Callanan who received an Emmy for best program host/moderator!

Comment by Caffeinated — 6:13 pm June 8, 2014 #

11. Yeah, Laura! (And you look fantastic, too.)

Comment by Kayleigh — 6:54 pm June 8, 2014 #

12. Congratulations, Laura!

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 8:10 pm June 8, 2014 #

13. Wow Laura! That’s fantastic! Congratulations from the Explorers Club children & staff at Providence Mount St. Vincent’s Intergenerational Learning Center. You are a treasure!

Comment by Abanna — 8:56 am June 9, 2014 #

14. Wonderful job Laura! Your work/art/passion is so appreciated – from the staff and residents of 3 North/South Providence Mount St. Vincent.

Comment by Eileen McCloskey — 10:45 am June 9, 2014 #

15. Thank you everyone!! It is such an honor to have had the opportunity to work on such a great project! It was a real team effort! 10 years ago I started easing in this direction, changing my life and priorities so that someday could realize my dream of sharing the undersea world of Puget Sound. But more than just share it, actually put it out there in a way that would convince everyone to love it and want to protect it as much as I do. It feels like this award is just the beginning, that I’ve finally reached the stepping off point and the past decade and all its sacrifices and starts, stops and hesitations have been 10000% worth it.

I have to say that I owe a goodly part of this award to my west seattl family. WSB posting my videos gave me confidence to keep making them and practicing, and everyones kind comments really really made the difference when I was worrying that I was tilting at windmills, and ‘would I actually make a difference with my art’, etc.. It takes village to achieve something like this and YOU are all part of my village, thank you from the bottom of my heart, a part of this pretty statue belongs to each and every one of you who tunes in regularly and watches the latests goings on from the edge of the deep green sea.

Abana and Eileen, I need to touch base with you all at Providence Mt. St. Vincent to come visit again, meet on the beach now that the weather is warming up and maybe even can set up a live dive for the intergenerational learning center.

Comment by DiverLaura — 3:12 am June 11, 2014 #