West Seattle Crime Watch: Police arrest 1 after Admiral burglary

May 6, 2014 at 5:32 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 27 Comments

(Photo courtesy Rhonda Porter)
5:32 PM: A police search right now in the heart of the Admiral District is reported to be related to a burglary, according to scanner traffic. After texts about the search, we’ve sent a crew that way to find out more in person. We’ll add info as we get it.

5:45 PM: Radio discussion indicates police are looking for a specific potential suspect who lives in the area they’ve been searching.

(This photo and next one by WSB’s Patrick Sand)
5:58 PM: Police have detained the person they were looking for.

6:13 PM: A witness has been brought to identify the suspect; police tell us they’ll be looking for the stolen items next. The burglary was reported to have happened just a few blocks away.

6:43 PM: Southwest Precinct Lt. Alan Williams confirms the suspect was arrested and that the investigation is “ongoing.”

ADDED WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON: More details from the police report, which we obtained via SPD media relations. It started with a woman calling police at about 5 pm to say a strange man was in her house and had just left headed southbound on 45th SW. She said he was standing in the kitchen when she came home and told her he had been passing by and had seen “three teenagers in her house and chased them off,” according to the report. He also gave the woman his first name, age, address, phone number, and allowed her to take a picture of him with her cell phone. Looking at that photo, an officer apparently familiar with the suspect zeroed in on his address and matched a prior mugshot to the cell-phone photo. They found him at his residence and arrested him; he gave them permission to search for stolen property and didn’t find any.

Returning to her residence with police, the victim pointed out “long-handled garden tools that had been laid out very neatly for unknown reasons” and then inside, “numerous shopping bags that had been filled with random items from different ares of her house.” She also thought a rifle belonging to her roommate was missing. The roommate later told police two rifles and his wallet were missing.

The mystery of the three possible teenage suspects wasn’t solved, but the man was booked into jail for criminal trespass and an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in connection with earlier theft charges.

1. Large police presence, there was about 8-10 units circling Safeway and jack in the box

Comment by B — 5:35 pm May 6, 2014 #

2. it was pretty hair-raising to see SPD with guns pulled while you’re stopped at the light… I posted a blurry photo on my FB page…

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 5:53 pm May 6, 2014 #

3. Yeah, I have a message there asking if we can use it – thanks. Sounds now like they have a POSSIBLE suspect in custody …

Comment by WSB — 5:55 pm May 6, 2014 #

4. We live on 45th at Admiral… Just saw a police car driving down 45th with a woman in the back.

Comment by Molly — 6:00 pm May 6, 2014 #

5. A witness was being taken over to see if she could ID the possible suspect. Don’t know yet if it was the victim or what, still trying to get details.

Comment by WSB — 6:03 pm May 6, 2014 #

6. I saw someone suspicious at my mom’s today (a few blocks away from these pics) Can you tell us where the burglary happened?

Comment by tk — 6:26 pm May 6, 2014 #

7. I didn’t know if I should take a picture or call my hubby 1st… the blogger in me took over – photo 1st!

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 6:32 pm May 6, 2014 #

8. TK, I believe it’s the one from this call – 2300 block of 45th SW: https://twitter.com/SeattlePDW1/status/463849713624563713

Comment by WSB — 6:42 pm May 6, 2014 #

9. cannot access twitter; can you tell me what that link says?

Comment by Diane — 6:52 pm May 6, 2014 #

10. it’s a web link, it’s not in the twitter application. it’s what I wrote, 2300 block of 45th SW, burglary. residential. tweets unfortunately don’t ever have any more info than that (aside from incident #, which I can use to get the report from media relations tomorrow).

Comment by WSB — 7:04 pm May 6, 2014 #

11. I understand how twitter works; cannot access what is at the link; thought since you had posted the link, it might have more info; thanks

Comment by Diane — 7:08 pm May 6, 2014 #

12. Lives nearby?…wonder if this is the guy stealing Honda’s recently (including mine) from the same area and breaking into neighbors houses and graffiti in the area the last few months…

Comment by Eaglelover — 7:09 pm May 6, 2014 #

13. Any special circumstances that caused such a large police response? Cause that kind of response would have been nice to have when my wife caught 3 kids trying to break into our house in the Westwood area.

Comment by Eric — 7:33 pm May 6, 2014 #

14. Perhaps the report of a stolen gun, which would have made the suspect potentially armed. Won’t know for sure until we see the report.

Comment by WSB — 7:46 pm May 6, 2014 #

15. Were in the Safeway lot at about 3:30 this afternoon. My 8-year-old granddaughter noted that the same man had been walking around pushing a shopping cart when we went into Menchie’s (3:30) and when we left (4:05). She found it strange; was sure it was the same man. Just wondering if he’s “the suspect.”

Comment by Alki Bee — 8:04 pm May 6, 2014 #

16. I love it when the good guys win! Thanks SPD for catching the crook!

Comment by ttt — 8:28 pm May 6, 2014 #

17. I was right at Safeway when they we’re taking to a man in handcuffs. Then was stuck behind a man in a black BMW taking pictures of the scene with a really expensive camera. The shot he got was the second picture. Does he work for wsb? If he does, VERY unprofessional.

Comment by Cycleman — 9:00 pm May 6, 2014 #

18. Nope, no black BMWs here (or any other color). We drive green Hondas. No expensive camera, either. The second pic, in fact, was sent back by Patrick Sand (my co-publisher and husband) with his iPhone (though he also had our midgrade-at-best DSLR along, from which the third pic came). – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:25 pm May 6, 2014 #

19. …and for the record, the first picture was taken by me from our Mini Cooper :) while stopped at the light with my cell phone.

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 9:46 pm May 6, 2014 #

20. Was “Cycleman” driving a car?

Comment by Guy — 10:27 pm May 6, 2014 #

21. Thank you, SPD.

Comment by pupsarebest — 10:31 pm May 6, 2014 #

22. Eagle lover, not every street crime is always linked to one person, hate to break it to you but I’m sure there’s multiple criminals in this area,and all areas to be precise. I put money on him having nothing to do with the graffiti influx

Comment by moneeshot — 9:23 am May 7, 2014 #

23. Weird, right after I saw this story there was gentleman walking in the alley west of California with a small hatchet. Made me wonder if it was an accomplice? It was about a 40 minutes after the guy was apprehended.

Comment by Wes C. Addle — 11:43 am May 7, 2014 #

24. I have some additional details from a police report – it’s a convoluted tale and there might have been some other people in the area. Will add it as soon as I can – dealing with a bit of breaking news first.

Comment by WSB — 11:51 am May 7, 2014 #

25. will there be a mugshot made available, for us Admiral neighbors to be on alert when he gets out of jail

Comment by Diane — 2:55 pm May 7, 2014 #

26. Rhonda – any pic isn’t worth using your phone while you’re driving. Stopped at a light is no excuse. please be more responsible and a safer neighbor and just put the phone away when you’re operating a car. For the record, it is also illegal even if your stopped at a light.

Comment by zark — 3:12 pm May 7, 2014 #

27. Actually, holding it to the ear is what’s banned, not taking a pic from a stop.

Comment by WSB — 2:25 pm May 8, 2014 #