You have to start thinking about college even before you get to high school. Denny International Middle School scholars learned that lesson during a special week of activities, as principal Jeff Clark reports:
Last week, at Denny International Middle School, our scholars enjoyed a week-long focus on preparing for future success in college. As a part of this theme and celebration, college-focused lessons were taught daily; special activities, including a college fair, were held during lunchtime; and, on Friday, all three grade-levels went off to college on an exciting field trip!
Plans for the week included:
· Monday, 5/19: Intro to College lesson taught in Language Arts
· Tuesday, 5/20: What’s important in High School lesson taught in Social Studies
· Wednesday, 5/21: Major and Career Awareness lesson, including presentations from City Year, taught in Science
· Thursday, 5/22: Financing College lesson taught in Math
· Friday, 5/23: Whole-school Field Trip Day!
o 6th grade: All scholars went to Seattle Central Community College
o 7th Grade: ½ went to South Seattle Community College and ½ went to Highline Community College
o 8th Grade: All scholars went to the University of Washington (top photo)
On our field trips, our scholars enjoyed College tours, attended classes, and experienced an afternoon on campus!
Thank you so much to our College Week Planning Team: Roxana Amaral, Meva Beganovic, Lisie Monahan, Francis Sutton, Becca Gross, and Patricia Rangel! Go Dolphins!