‘You’re only as old as you allow yourself to think you are’: Ultra-senior tennis stars in film co-produced by West Seattleite

April 28, 2014 at 10:33 am | In West Seattle news | 8 Comments

Need some Monday inspiration? Check this out. West Seattle resident Heather P. Olson e-mailed to tell us about a documentary she’s co-producing called “Gold Balls” (with another area connection, editor and Vashon Island resident Eric Frith). The quote in our headline is from the trailer, narrated by Seattle actor Tom Skerritt. Info forwarded by Olson explains that it’s about “the world of ultra-senior tennis … where the players actually look forward to getting older, if only every 5 years when they age up into the next category and have relative youth on their side.” As with so many creative projects these days, they are crowdfunding, with less than a week left – their Kickstarter link is here. But even if you’re not interested in contributing, watch the trailer when you have a few moments. It gives a new meaning to “bucket list”!

1. Jolly good show for the male uber-oldsters.

Wouldn’t it be even more awesome if there were ultra-senior women? Where are they, I wonder?

Comment by 50+ Love — 10:55 am April 28, 2014 #

2. Thank you so much Tracy and the West Seattle Blog for sharing our story! We truly appreciate your support.

Comment by Heather Olson — 11:00 am April 28, 2014 #

3. Thanks Mr. Skerritt. That’s awsome! They should play this at the ymca in west Seattle. I loved watching you in ‘leverage’ I’m also an actor in Seattle. Thnks Al Semple

Comment by Al. — 11:13 am April 28, 2014 #

4. “50+,” looks like there are some: http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=139942

Comment by WSB — 11:19 am April 28, 2014 #

5. As the director of this film, I want you to know that we definitely want to include some of the senior women in this film and have interviewed several VERY impressive ladies including the #1 in 80+, and #1 in 75+. Our ability to include them (and craft a compelling story) hinges entirely on getting the funding to do this as a full-length feature film. Please help us spread the word so we can bring these great stories to life!

Comment by Kate — 12:14 pm April 28, 2014 #

6. Kate. If I can help. Send me an email. Almco@aol.com Al

Comment by Al — 4:48 pm April 28, 2014 #

7. Every one of them can destroy me on the tennis court. I wish I was able to play like they can and I’m 50 years younger than some of them.
    Bonus for having Viper as narrator.

Comment by Mike — 7:07 pm April 28, 2014 #

8. I can’t wait to see this movie. These guys have ridonkulous games and witty lines to match – “what keeps you young in this game are the young ladies.” LMAO. Nice work!

Comment by Small Gold Balls — 9:29 pm April 29, 2014 #