West Seattle Crime Watch: Car theft; suspected gas theft

April 28, 2014 at 9:40 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 9 Comments

Two West Seattle Crime Watch notes this morning:

STOLEN CAR: Watch for Brian‘s car, a “light blue 91 Toyota Camry stolen last night from in front of my house on 60th and Admiral.” (map) As noted in the SPD @getyourcarback tweet (which includes the plate #), please call 911 if you see it.

STOLEN GAS? From Jon at 38th/Graham {map):

I want to report what seems to be a case of gas siphoning from my vehicle. This morning at 5:20 am, I came out to my truck to go to work. As I was waiting for it to warm up (it’s an older truck) I noticed the gas gauge dropping down to empty. I had just filled up last week and had only done 73 miles, so it should have been over 3/4 full. When the gauge hit zero, I turned the engine off and checked underneath for a fuel leak – nothing. I looked at the gas cap door and saw that it was bent and easily opened. I don’t have a locking gas cap, so I think someone has been siphoning off gas from my truck.

Jon’s household also has a car but he says it was not touched.

1. Not blaming the victim but maybe we shouldn’t leave gas in our gas tanks around here.

Comment by Rick — 10:12 am April 28, 2014 #

2. Which leads me oddly to wonder if electricity can be stolen from electric vehicles …

Comment by WSB — 10:23 am April 28, 2014 #

3. We clearly need to monitor the buyers of garden and plumbing hose…hoses used with malicious intent.

Comment by heather — 11:27 am April 28, 2014 #

4. then what, should we outlaw hoses altogether? it’s not malicious, but watering the garden is a waste of perfectly good potable water! and require people to water with only what they capture in rain barrels.
    I jest.

i’m sorry someone stole the gas, sounds like a hassle

Comment by sam-c — 12:01 pm April 28, 2014 #

5. …was being silly

Comment by heather — 12:18 pm April 28, 2014 #

6. yes, and so was i… (was also assuming Rick’s comment was in jest as well)

Comment by sam-c — 12:55 pm April 28, 2014 #

7. don’t know the year of your truck, but this certainly worked well to thwart a gas stealing teenager in my dads old car.

Comment by west-side — 2:40 pm April 28, 2014 #

8. Not sure of your parking situation, but IF your gas cap is on the passenger side AND you park in an alley you can always park really close to a fence or garage so that they don’t have enough room to access the gas cap.

They also make a “coil-like” thingy that makes it impossible to run a hose all the way down into the gas tank.

Comment by watertowerjoey — 5:00 pm April 28, 2014 #

9. The gas bandit blocker is great, so are locking gas caps, but if someone really wants your fuel, they will cut your filler neck hose – the hose that runs from where you put the gas in down to your tank.
    Not a whole lot you can do (aside from parking in a garage, which not everyone has access to) to keep thieves at bay.

Comment by westcoastdeb — 8:04 pm April 28, 2014 #