Remembering Greg Riddle, 1954-2014; celebration of life Saturday

April 6, 2014 at 3:05 pm | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 15 Comments

A celebration of life is planned next Saturday for Greg Riddle, 59. His fight against cancer made news here two months ago when his family’s home near Roxhill Elementary caught fire, forcing them to find somewhere else to live, which they did, thanks in part to suggestions from WSB’ers when Mr. Riddle’s daughter Kristine Elliott asked here for ideas and assistance. Now, she shares this remembrance of her dad:

Family and friends will gather Saturday, April 12th, at 11:30 a.m. at Boulevard Park Place Retirement Community, 2805 S. 125th St. in Burien, for a Celebration of Life.

William Gregory Riddle passed away March 27, 2014. Greg was born October 24, 1954, to William (Bill) Cecil & Flo (Sue) Riddle, the 6th of 7 children, in Redding, California. He met the love of his life, Eileen Turgeon, in 1978 and they were married in 1982. Together, they raised their 3 children.

He was a highly skilled carpenter who had a unique bond with animals and loved to fish for salmon in the Hoh, Sol Duc & Bogachiel Rivers in Forks, Washington. Greg also loved the outdoors and spending time with his family. Some of his happiest times were coaching Little League Baseball. He knew how to bring out the players’ full potential, taught them to play as a team, and how to win or lose with pride.

Greg is survived by his wife Eileen, daughter Kristine and son-in-law Ryan Elliott, son Trevor Riddle, daughter Catherine Riddle, and daughter Jessica Riddle; four grandchildren Luke, Reese, Blake, and Chase Elliott; brothers Derryl Riddle and Tim Riddle; sisters Pat Henk and Mary Riddle. He was preceded in death by his father Bill, mother Sue, brothers Chuck Riddle and Kenny Riddle.

You will always be loved and forever missed…

(WSB publishes obituaries by request, free of charge. Please e-mail the text, and a photo if available, to editor@westseattleblog.com)

1. Kristine….this makes me so very sad. I don’t know you, nor did I know your dad. But I do know cancer…and it’s a beast of a disease. It really doesn’t play fair . Your dad was way too young to have passed away, and I send condolences and hugs to you and your family.

Comment by JanS — 5:22 pm April 6, 2014 #

2. I am sorry for the loss of your Dad Kristine. I’m sure you have many memories. His photo captured a moment but know that you can always remember your dad seeing u off to school, saying goodbye! How was your day? Memories. So sad.

Comment by Dale — 7:55 pm April 6, 2014 #

3. Kristine, Very nice picture and lovely obit. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I (or my kids) can do, please don’t hesitate to ask! All my love, Lisa

Comment by lisa hegle — 10:16 pm April 6, 2014 #

4. Thank you so much. Our family has been so overwhelmed by the kindness and outpouring of support the West Seattle community has shown us. It’s just another example of why West Seattle is so special.

Comment by Kristine — 10:59 pm April 6, 2014 #

5. Condolences to you and your family, Kristine…

Mike

Comment by miws — 7:21 am April 7, 2014 #

6. So sorry for your loss Kristine and family. Condolences

Comment by TG — 8:42 am April 7, 2014 #

7. Sending heartfelt condolences to your family, Kristine. You’ve been through a lot lately…I feel for you.

Comment by Enviromaven — 9:35 am April 7, 2014 #

8. I have the pleasure of working with Trevor and also lost my Dad to the same kind of cancer. Trevor, your Dad raised a good man, and wherever he is he is watching over with a sense of pride only a father knows. My sympathy to you and yours.

Comment by Dalen — 10:42 am April 7, 2014 #

9. Kristine..first off, I love ya girl. May you find peace in your time of pain. It will never go away, but will get easier as time goes. Prayers to you and yours. XO

Comment by Jennifer Johnson — 11:01 am April 7, 2014 #

10. Kristine and Ryan, I am truly sorry for your loss. I know how much your family means to you and can’t imagine how hard this has to be for your family. You guys are absolutely the most wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work with. You are in my thoughts and I wish your family happier times.

Comment by Sarah Babcock — 7:02 pm April 7, 2014 #

11. I knew Greg when he and my brother were in Cub Scouts together. My condolences go out to the family.

Comment by Tony Momsen — 7:47 pm April 7, 2014 #

12. Dear Eileen, Kristine, Trevor, & Katherine,
    Words cannot express how sad and how much we are all going to miss Greg. He would be extremely proud how all of you kids have pulled together to help your mom with anything she needs in this sad and very trying time. Greg has been a friend of both of ours for too many years to count and I can’t imagine this life without him in it anymore. All of you guys have our love and support and if you need anything, please call.

Comment by Larry & Jan — 8:43 pm April 7, 2014 #

13. “When through one man a little more love and goodness, a little more light and truth come into the world, then that man’s life has meaning.”
    Alfred Delp

Comment by sc — 9:38 pm April 7, 2014 #

14. Thoughts and prayers with you Kristine! !

Comment by shannon — 6:10 am April 8, 2014 #

15. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, (all of our loss). Even though he’ll be missed very much, we know he’s in a better place. Remember that he is not behind you in memory, but ahead of you, waiting on you. It is we who are behind him, for the moment.

Comment by Charles Henk "Charlie" — 5:08 pm April 15, 2014 #