Happening now: ‘Ribbon and Rhyme’ typewriters, High Point Library

Objects of nostalgia, objects of mystery, objects of utility … However you choose to regard them, antique human-powered typewriters are waiting for you right now at the High Point Branch Library as the second stop in Ribbon and Rhyme,” described as a “hands-on art installation.” Go type a few words. Listen to the keys as they meet the paper, through the ribbon. Look at your words, unpixelated.

The typewriters await, until 5:30 today.

14 Replies to "Happening now: 'Ribbon and Rhyme' typewriters, High Point Library"

• drahcir61 April 12, 2014 (4:11 pm)

I took typing as an elective in high school back in the late 70s, my friends just laughed at me.

With a girl/boy ratio of 18:2 I took the advanced class as a senior … & they all wished they had taken typing too.

Today, 85-90 wpm with very few errors … not too shabby. :)

• WSB April 12, 2014 (4:27 pm)

WTG! These days I believe most of us type far more than we speak. At least I do. I learned on a manual in 9th grade in Honolulu.

• Mark April 12, 2014 (5:12 pm)

I type. Therefore I am.

• miws April 12, 2014 (5:14 pm)

Now is the time for all good men to come for all good men to come to the aid of their Country.

• Jwws April 12, 2014 (6:34 pm)

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

• onion April 12, 2014 (6:57 pm)

The sound and feel of an IBM Selectric was oddly sexy. I loved the touch of a Selectric. I’ve worked on a lot of different computer keyboards — and some of them are really, really nice — but none has come even close to a Selectric keyboard.

• charlabob April 12, 2014 (7:50 pm)

Now I feel old. I’ve been old for a while but this makes me FEEL old. Where are the (remington?) typewriters with the metal key rims. Now those are historic. :-)

• miws April 12, 2014 (10:09 pm)

We had the Selectrics when I took typing class in Jr. High. They were cool, what with the “technology” of the typing ball that spun around and struck the ribbon so quickly.

charla, in the late ’60’s my Aunt had an old black typewriter. Don’t recall if it was a Remington, but sounds like it’s from the same era as you describe. Loved playing around on that thing!

• Sue April 12, 2014 (10:43 pm)

Now I feel old – I learned to type on one of those antiques. LOL!
    Onion, I totally hear ya on the Selectric. I miss it.

• Alki Girl April 13, 2014 (9:36 am)

I can text 85-90 wpm with no errors!!!! Auto correct :)

• miws April 13, 2014 (10:43 am)

Alki Girl, I can probably text 85-90 words per hour. :-)

And no errors? Hmmmm…..don’t know if I’d fully trust auto connect! ;-)

• Silly Goose April 13, 2014 (7:11 pm)

WOW I love these type writers, and I too learned to type every letter with the phrase “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog” like jwws, the good ole days…

• Alki Girl April 13, 2014 (9:56 pm)

Mike, you sound fun!!!! Wanna get married?!?!

• Martin April 27, 2014 (7:39 pm)

Hi typewriter lovers,

I also love typewriters but from a somewhat different perspective. I have been collecting 19th century ones (1880s & 1890s) for 25 years.

Please have a look at my collection and see the world’s first typing machines.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann