West Seattle traffic alert: Collision at 42nd/Alaska

March 31, 2014 at 5:31 pm | In West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 10 Comments

5:31 PM: Fire/police response at 42nd/Alaska in The Junction – Christopher Boffoli is there for WSB and says a vehicle and scooter collided (see his photo above). Thanks also to Mike and NLB for alerts via Twitter.

5:37 PM UPDATE: Christopher reports: “Victim appeared to be a man in his 30′s. He was transported via AMR with non-life threatening injuries. SFD has left the scene now. SPD is still mopping up. Traffic westbound on Alaska is not really affected.”

1. Be CAREFUL out there on 2 wheels! I have no idea who was at fault here, but just remember when riding folks very often “don’t see” you. You have to ride as if you’re invisible. The closest I’ve come to being hit was by a Seattle police car pulling out onto Alki, it can happen to everyone. Motorcycles and scooters (and bikes) just don’t fit into folks brain when they’re “looking for traffic” before pulling out or changing lanes. Again, not saying who was at fault here, just general note…

Comment by David — 6:27 pm March 31, 2014 #

2. Let’s all slow down. So often reports say, “there were no life threatening injuries,” as if that is a benign event. Even small fender-benders cause stress or even trauma to those involved. More serious events, even when not life threatening, can cause lasting medical issues and ongoing mental, physical, and financial pain.
    The City traffic engineers have made a mess of Alaska Street, and it’s been the scene of several pedestrian/car accidents and now this one, just in the last month or so.
    Heart-felt wishes to all involved.

Comment by iggy — 7:47 pm March 31, 2014 #

3. Agreed iggy-Alaska St. is a huge mess! Hope both drivers are ok.

Comment by Marianne — 9:06 pm March 31, 2014 #

4. The rapid lane changes and iffy signage in both directions on Alaska between California and Fauntleroy simply means you have to expect all sorts of strange behavior from other drivers. Good thing the steady stream of buses isn’t hampered.

Comment by JTB — 9:25 pm March 31, 2014 #

5. I rarely drive that stretch of roadway but I did today when I had to shuttle my kids somewhere. I agree with other commenters it is horribly designed. Left turners caused backups with people veering around and the lanes seem to go all over the place. Signage is odd. Not intuitive. I expect it is fine once you are used to it but my impression is that it is badly done.

Comment by Hey — 9:47 pm March 31, 2014 #

6. Happy to report I was discharged this evening with no broken bones and a little road rash thank goodness for a full face helmet and motorcycle jacket. Thank you to the people of West Seattle who helped me out and kept me still and feed me a snickers. I hope the other driver of the vehicle is ok.

Comment by JP — 9:52 pm March 31, 2014 #

7. Driving around WS practically anywhere is becoming dangerous if you’re on two wheels or four. There ARE speed limits folks! The turning lanes are not PASSING lanes. How about leaving a couple minutes earlier where ever it is you are going and slowing down a bit? California has become a free for all for some drivers. God help you if your a pedestrian!

Comment by WSince86 — 10:39 pm March 31, 2014 #

8. So glad to hear you’re ok Jeremy! I hope you got to eat the rest of your snickers bars by yourself! I will say though, best request I’ve ever heard after a collision. Hope you have a speedy recovery! :)

Comment by Charline — 12:09 am April 1, 2014 #

9. We are so glad to hear it JP.

If the picture shows what I think it does, the person you got in an accident with, is an avid motorcyclist and is probably really devastated that this happened.

Heal fast!

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 5:44 am April 1, 2014 #

10. @Hey…. I agree! Cars are turning into the “Turn Only” lanes so they don’t have to wait behind a person turning left. It’s scary for those of us on bikes, believing that no one will be in that lane, because they’re blocked by the person turning left. Don’t believe it!

Comment by Cowpie — 3:17 pm April 1, 2014 #