Followup: Farewell to former Fraker’s Grocery at 4808 SW Alaska

March 26, 2014 at 3:16 pm | In West Seattle history, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

That backhoe, recorded on video by neighbor Sara, brought the final chapter today to what once was Fraker’s Grocery at 4808 SW Alaska, vacant and slumping for years, but the source of many warm memories, as discussed in comments on past stories:

frakerthen.jpg

We first reported last December that it was slated for demolition so a single-family home could be built.

The lot was split off from the house next door a few years back. Former proprietor Dean Fraker died in 2009 at the age of 87.

1. Hopefully the new house will not be the rectangle box type!

Comment by sc — 3:57 pm March 26, 2014 #

2. Thus dies my dream of restoring it and making a killing selling snacks to Ercolini kids and parents.

Comment by Jeff — 4:38 pm March 26, 2014 #

3. I’ve been told that yes, in fact, it will be a box type house. I’m just so glad townhomes aren’t going up!

Comment by Sara — 5:50 pm March 26, 2014 #

4. I still think the box homes look so odd in the neighborhood.

Comment by sc — 6:45 pm March 26, 2014 #

5. That’s funny, I’d thought of the same restoration project.

Comment by Fiwa Jcbbb — 11:39 am March 27, 2014 #

6. Those box homes are disgusting! I’ve been calling them “Lego Homes.” I think Isola is one of the manufacturers. I call that company “Eyesore.

Comment by SueY — 6:18 pm March 27, 2014 #

7. Another Minecraft box house? Three times as big and tall as everything surrounding it? Great. We will love the view of the giant box…NOT!

Comment by ttt — 9:17 pm March 27, 2014 #