West Seattle businesses: Jamba Juice closing at Westwood

February 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 54 Comments

A sudden shutdown at Westwood Village – this is the last night of operation for Jamba Juice, which is on the east end of the shopping center’s east-west breezeway. After a tip from Edgar (thanks!), we went over to talk with the staff and confirmed the imminent closure (about half an hour from now).

The staff said they had only found out a day or so ago. We heard too late in the day to check with center management about whether another tenant is lined up for the space.

SIDE NOTE: Other changes are under way at Westwood – the liquor store has moved from the center of the mall to a space on the north side by DaVita; a Carter’s children’s-clothing store is still on the way, as we first reported in November, and is now affirmed on the Carter’s website (and the WWV leasing map). City permits say it’s going into the space the liquor store vacated.

1. Wow. I love that place and was just there the other day. I wonder if it was a corporate decision out of nowhere or something else. Please keep us informed if you find out details!

Comment by Alyxx — 7:42 pm February 4, 2014 #

2. it is pretty much empty during the winter months, now that there is a school near by I think a Jimmy John’s sandwich place would be nice

Comment by Pauline Aldrich — 7:50 pm February 4, 2014 #

3. We stopped going to Westwood after the mess of incidents last year. I wonder if others stopped shopping there, too.

Comment by hawkbit — 7:59 pm February 4, 2014 #

4. Wow – I was just there yesterday after a bit of a haitus (was a regular customer for some time). That is a bummer!

Comment by add — 8:18 pm February 4, 2014 #

5. Another victory for Starbucks.

Comment by Alki Bee — 8:31 pm February 4, 2014 #

6. I like the idea of a neighborhood pub in this spot. I miss the Keg for just that reason. Please make it happen.

Comment by Friend O'Dinghus — 8:38 pm February 4, 2014 #

7. Wow that is surprising. I definitely swing in there every few Westwood trips. I figured with a packed gym right next door they’d be in great shape.

I second Jimmy John’s! Do we even have any local places that do a similar basic sub? (Not subway) Husky Deli and Bakery Nuveau are awesome but a little high end for every sandwich craving.

Comment by Trickycoolj — 8:48 pm February 4, 2014 #

8. Tricky – have you ever tried the Sub Shop (I forget which # it is) at California/Graham?

Comment by WSB — 9:02 pm February 4, 2014 #

9. Is this a second move for the liquor store? Also, Trenton is the only thing North of DaVita

Comment by LBJ — 9:04 pm February 4, 2014 #

10. There is already a sub shop by QFC.

Comment by Paul — 9:05 pm February 4, 2014 #

11. @trickycoolj: Fruit juice isn’t really compatible with typical gym goals. I checked at random one of the juices on their website– “Orange Apple Pineapple Ginger”– and a 12oz serving has more calories (170) than a classic 12oz can of Coca-Cola (140). 43g of carbs vs. Coke’s 39g. The next one I picked (“Orange Berry Antioxidant Juice Blend”) clocks in at 38g of carbs yet still gives you 160 calories. There’s a valid argument to be made that fruit juice is generally healthier than canned corn syrup but if you’re counting the raw numbers for a weight-loss program, then juice isn’t the way to go.

Comment by hj — 9:07 pm February 4, 2014 #

12. tricky,
    There is a sub shop a few doors down from Starbucks in Westwood… and it’s really good! Classic subs, way better than Subway or Jimmy Johns.

Comment by Christina — 9:13 pm February 4, 2014 #

13. WSB I believe there is actually one of the sub shops in Westwood Village, near the pet store? Maybe not…

Comment by Brandon — 9:14 pm February 4, 2014 #

14. Yes, there is. Also a “Sub Shop” but different #. (Edit: As Christina commented while I was typing this) Somehow haven’t ever gone there but we have stopped by the California/Graham shop now and then, a bit closer to us.

Comment by WSB — 9:18 pm February 4, 2014 #

15. Too bad Westwood can’t attract better businesses. Carter’s?? I know the brand -but a stand alone shop? Good luck.
    I don’t blame Starbucks for Jamba Juice leaving- if folks wanted Jamba Juice they’d go there. Obviously enough didn’t.
    Also in an odd spot- if you weren’t familiar with Westwood & came in off Barton you might be hard pressed to find it.
    The whole place seems a bit shoddy these days- in need of an update & an infusion of new shops.

Comment by Gene — 9:34 pm February 4, 2014 #

16. Not a fan of Jamba Juice, but am real sorry for the folks who may be out of work :(

Is it just me or is Westwood have really poor flow for shoppers? Each time I’m there it feels like I have to ‘work’ to get where I want to – sidewalks don’t flow well, etc.

And this new grandma-to-be loves that a Carter’s will be coming!

Comment by Breezy — 9:41 pm February 4, 2014 #

17. I am there every day as I walk my dog around the shopping area.

The truth is that the whole shopping area has a down vibe. The homeless people and beggars camped at most entrances to the area really help make the place oh so inviting. At least the tag team group outside of Target is not there every damn day.

The issues with the busses and the nearby drugs and violence seem to be making it a non-destination.

Comment by Ray — 9:53 pm February 4, 2014 #

18. I have to agree with Ray even though I keep going there, the same homeless people with their signs jobs wanted for the last two years kind of has worn my patience especially when they have their damn dogs. Really if you are homeless a dog should be something you give up for their sake, and the guy with the dog always seems to be tweaking a little if you ask me. Better shops bring better peeps and that is really where it needs to go, although it is way better then when we first moved here and there was just Target and Radio Shack so I am hopeful.

Comment by rhonda bleck — 10:08 pm February 4, 2014 #

19. Are you saying there IS a Carters store coming to Westwood?

Comment by alki resident — 10:35 pm February 4, 2014 #

20. AR, yes, it is now on
    -city permit listings for tenant improvements (which is the source of our Nov. report)
    -Carter’s own website (linked in this story)
    -the latest version of the Westwood Village tenants/vacancy map
    I believe the Carter’s website mentions an April opening.

Comment by WSB — 11:03 pm February 4, 2014 #

21. Westwood might be able to attract more customers if they increased the width of the parking spots.

Comment by Kevin — 11:04 pm February 4, 2014 #

22. That is awesome, I recently became a grandma. Thank you wsb.

Comment by alki resident — 11:05 pm February 4, 2014 #

23. Dang it I was gonna go there for lunch tomorrow!

Comment by Cait — 11:21 pm February 4, 2014 #

24. I go to Westwood several times a week since that QFC is our neighborhood supermarket, but I rarely go to the other stores, aside from Rite Aid, Target, and the post office. (Though the Thai restaurant has improved since I was previously there, so I’ll probably go there more often.)
    The layout of the place has always been terrible, very dated to when that style of outdoor shopping plaza was more of a thing. Traffic flow is awful–I’m amazed I’ve never been in an accident there since the layout is confusing and I routinely see people ignore stop signs–and it’s not very welcoming to walk around, either, with big blank stretches along the sidewalks. Ironically, since it wasn’t designed for them, the easiest way I’ve found to get around Westwood is by bicycle.
    It was shoddier when I moved to West Seattle, though. Anyone else remember Liquidation World? (I rather miss that place, they had some great deals.)

Comment by datamuse — 11:44 pm February 4, 2014 #

25. Amen to Kevin. Crazy bad parking, plus terrible access for pedestrians.

Comment by Jerald — 11:55 pm February 4, 2014 #

26. It’s funny to hear Westwood Village being “shoddy” when remembering what Westwood Village was in the early 90′s. Over half empty with run down stores that were there and layouts that were horrible. Westwood is far better these days, though I do miss the Keg.

Comment by Eric — 4:49 am February 5, 2014 #

27. Bring back the Sea Galley! lol jk

Comment by cruzer — 6:46 am February 5, 2014 #

28. Westwood suffers from a lot of things – the bus stopover, for one. The panhandlers, gang bangers, etc. Too bad they can’t get Stuart Sloan or Kemper Freeman to take over the place. Either one could shape the place up in a jiffy.

Comment by WestofJunction — 7:30 am February 5, 2014 #

29. I enjoy walking thru Westwood to shop just wish there were more mom and pop places. The corp stores just dont feel as neighborly. The Thai does have good food and I agree we really need a pub we can walk to and From!!!

Comment by vb — 7:36 am February 5, 2014 #

30. dm, I remember Liquidation World, in the old Ernst Hardware location, which is now Staples. (Or is it the new Ernst Store, since it was was built for them to move into, when their old building was demo’d to build the Target Store?) ;-)

I was rethinking my thoughts about Westwood in general, just the other day, as I was heading Home on the bus on the 25th side, and looking at the property.

I was thinking back to 2005-ish or so, the time of the latest reno. At that time, I remember thinking it was really nice looking, although laughing to myself that for a place that had several proposals over the decades to through a roof on the Mall, just like what happened to Northgate in the ’70′s, that it had been rebuilt with a lot of parking lot between the buildings. Roof not gonna happen now!

At that time, I acknowledged that the style and color of the buildings weren’t among my favorite, I still liked it.

I had a moment of thought the other day; “It really isn’t all that great looking, what the hell was I thinking back then?“.

Then I remembered that anything was better than the reno of around ten years previous, which still had many of the original buildings, and much of the original layout.

The thing that stands out in my mind about that reno, and what I thought was the most ridiculous aspect, was the metal “Grand Entrance” signage structure, that I believe was just west of the 26th Av street alignment, that IMHO was too flashy, and included two upright, perforated columns, that were just perfect for idiots to stuff litter into.

There was a bit of a space between the bottom of those columns, and their bases, but pretty much just barely enough for a Maintenance Person to get a broom into. Nowadays I suppose they’d just use a leaf blower to blow them out, but I don;t think those were so prevalent back then.

But yeah, not very pedestrian friendly, with as someone mentioned upthread, the lack of continuous sidewalks.

Oh, and the Homeless people? I just give them a nod and a “Hi” as I walk by.

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:04 am February 5, 2014 #

31. Anyone else notice the overwhelming “air freshener” you get to breath when walking between Target & B & N. Assuming the reason for that is that someone is using that area as a bathroom.-It’s not very pleasant. I agree-WV has taken a downturn-had high hopes when Chicos, B & N, Pier 1-moved in. Love EATS Café. I think the potential is there for it to be a much more vibrant place-with more relevant shops/restaurants-but better pedestrian flow-parking-lighting-safety need to be addressed-. With the WS Junction getting busier-parking sometimes harder to find-it would be a perfect opportunity to revamp WV—here’s hoping!!

Comment by Anne — 8:31 am February 5, 2014 #

32. Ha! Maybe it’s a pinch of Karma. A few summers ago my daughter left her purse with money and her cell phone at one of their outdoor tables. We called down there and the girl who answered said she could see it out there but refused to bring it in and put it in a safe place! She said Jamba Juice couldn’t be responsible for it, liability issues, blah blah. Then how about just being a decent person? We went down to get it but by then it was gone. Plus I hate how when you put a tip in the jar they say “Tip tip hooray!” How stupid is that?

Comment by leamk — 9:25 am February 5, 2014 #

33. @Anne that wonderful smell is the fake grape aroma they intentionally disburse from the rooftop of B&N and Target with the intent to keep the birds away. I’d rather trudge through four feet of bird carcasses than experience that horrific stuff they spew out, so I keep away from that area.

@WSB out of curiosity, what ever happened to the plans for Panda Express? Maybe there’s something else planned for the vacant space next to the tanning/jerky store?

Comment by motorzen — 9:33 am February 5, 2014 #

34. M/zen – They went out to bid in the fall and it seemed like construction was imminent – but nothing since, and we keep looking. Company didn’t answer inquiries. Sometimes things fall through BUT sometimes they just take a long time.

Comment by WSB — 9:46 am February 5, 2014 #

35. Comments above, Ray, Rhonda, and Anne all nailed it in my opinion. ” Westwood now has a “down vibe.” The parking, layout, etc., wouldn’t be an issue if it felt good to be there!

But the beggars at every entrance with their dogs, the transients, and the overall vibe just makes it depressing.

The bus hub only makes it worse, especially when you’re stuck behind a stopped bus just waiting to move forward enough to get into Westwood!

Westwood is laid out like University Village– we could have a similar vibe as that.

It’s too bad its gone down hill. Not surprised about Jamba Juice, it seems like most of the businesses there have suffered lately. I’m just holding my breath when Barnes closes, that will be THE tipping point, when the rest of the mall goes down hill further.

I don’t see the liquor store lasting in its new “hidden” location, QFC has gone down hill compared to others– the mall really needs to step up the overall vibe.

Comment by Josh — 9:50 am February 5, 2014 #

36. Chipotle please!!!

Comment by Monosyllabic Girl — 10:37 am February 5, 2014 #

37. Please don’t invite Kemper Freeman to our neighborhood. The one thing going for us is that he doesn’t like the city (Seattle).

Comment by Neighbor — 11:17 am February 5, 2014 #

38. Jamba Juice is simply an unhealthy fattening product so most of us in the know stay away. It didn’t go out of business for any other reason.

Comment by JJ — 11:26 am February 5, 2014 #

39. I’ll take a Gravity Bar revival please.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 11:42 am February 5, 2014 #

40. JJ- But Mickey D’s is still in business.

Comment by WestofJunction — 12:27 pm February 5, 2014 #

41. Be careful what we wish for, they could tear that whole thing down and building a stinking massive Wal Mart.

Comment by T Rex — 1:14 pm February 5, 2014 #

42. I have a great little sandwich shop on 35th and Henderson I make the original hoagie sandwhiches at a great price!!!

Comment by Jeanette Cummings — 3:41 pm February 5, 2014 #

43. It’s called Jc’s Deli across from the library come in a see me

Comment by Jeanette Cummings — 3:43 pm February 5, 2014 #

44. i’ll check out out JC! :)

Comment by steve — 6:24 pm February 5, 2014 #

45. Do *not* invite Kemper Freeman to Westwood if you love to support your local businesses. He only cares about bringing in high class, corporate, well established businesses.
    I worked at Bell Square for many years in my college days and he was responsible for kicking out all the mom and pop stores. Various rumblings from the store owners along the lines of “not being part of the *vision* of the type of clientele he wanted to attract to the mall”.
    Visited that mall several months ago and the place just feels so standard, cookie cutter, and ‘sterile’.

Comment by justducky — 10:52 pm February 5, 2014 #

46. Justducky, I don’t believe the two areas have the same demographics. West Bellevue’s population changed, so the mall had to, also. Westwood is middle class/working class, so places that offer $50 shaves would be a bad fit. The point is that both Freeman (Bellevue Square) and Sloan (U Village) have clean, safe and well run facilities – and keep them at or close to full occupancy.

Comment by WestofJunction — 6:14 am February 6, 2014 #

47. Are there still plans for a Yeti Yogurt to open? I swear I saw something a while ago, but I can’t recall. We live very near here, and I shop here several times a week. Never went in Jamba, but I do like a number of the independent restaurants in there.

Comment by K — 7:49 am February 6, 2014 #

48. K – that is no longer listed on the YY website, I checked and would have mentioned it here if it were. http://www.yetiyogurt.com/locations/

Comment by WSB — 8:06 am February 6, 2014 #

49. Speaking of local shops, I noticed the Skate Shop across from the gym closed, anyone know why? Seemed like they had a nice profile/following from the WSB post when they opened.

Would the Jamba Juice space be big enough for a little pub, like “local” or something of that nature. Seems that’s what Westwood lacks.

Comment by Josh — 9:42 am February 6, 2014 #

50. Westwood lacks a lot of things. I’m not opposed to a Pub- Restaurant- or decent Fast Food place- maybe having more of those places would encourage more people to go there . What is really needed is a more upbeat vibe- vision for this huge property- more good retail – that combined with the discount shops & more fun places to eat– maybe even a movie theatre??
    Westwood could be awesome – it would take some time- but it has to start somewhere.

Comment by Anne — 11:09 am February 6, 2014 #

51. @Anne: You have a lot of great ideas. WS is desperate for a good movie theater and I think Westwood could be an ideal place for it. I’m not sure where they’d put it, but there’s got to be space somewhere for at least a few screens. I don’t understand what’s keeping one of the theater chains from moving into WS. I can’t be the only one who doesn’t necessarily want to go off the peninsula every time I want to see the latest movies.

I’d also like to see more sit-down restaurants come in. The Keg was before my time, but I can see that being a draw. I second the Chipotle suggestion above, or, even better, a locally owned Mexican(ish) restaurant. I’d like more reasons to spend time at WW, especially if they can do a better job addressing safety concerns. As things stand now, I mainly go there for specific errands (PO, UPS dropoffs at Staples, Target, BB&B), then I get the hell out of there. Also, I only go on weekdays due to safety and parking issues. I hate the parking at QFC, so I only go there if I’m desperate.

Comment by AJ — 2:07 pm February 6, 2014 #

52. Is it me, or is the parking outside Big 5 the worst in the world? It takes me about 5 back-and-forths to
    squeeze my Toyoter’ into a stall. I park at Staples and walk over.

Comment by steve — 9:13 pm February 8, 2014 #

53. Bring back the Pickwick! Long live the Pickwick! I miss Sea Galley too. I bet Rite-Aid would do better if they turned back into Sea Galley. There, now that we’ve solved West Villages problems, let’s all have a beer. Cheers!

Comment by steve — 9:24 pm February 8, 2014 #

54. Yup – Mickey D’s remains and Jamba Juice goes. Do try JC’s deli though – great Reubens and a “bag” deal with chips and a drink that can’t be beat…
    AND -she’s very friendly and nice.. Can you say that about many places around? Perhaps not :-)

Comment by nancy — 10:42 am February 10, 2014 #