New Arbor Heights Elementary: Meeting set to consider zoning exceptions

February 3, 2014 at 9:10 am | In Arbor Heights, West Seattle news, West Seattle schools | 9 Comments

(Rendering from Bassetti Architects‘ 8/2013 presentation of new Arbor Heights design)
Only one West Seattle item in today’s edition of the city’s Land Use Information Bulletin: The first meeting of the “Development Standards Departure Advisory Committee” for the Arbor Heights Elementary rebuild. To translate – this is the advisory committee that will consider whether to recommend approval of zoning exceptions for the project. As spelled out in the official meeting notice, “the School District is requesting modifications for greater than allowed height, less than required parking, and on-site bus loading” – also mentioned when committee recruitment was announced in October. Here’s our report on the design presentation last August. All are welcome at the committee’s meeting, 6:30 pm Tuesday, February 18th, in the library at AHES (37th SW/SW 104th).

1. Hi, WS Blog. Correction: AH is on 104th. Full address (per SPS website) is 3701 SW 104 St, Seattle, WA 98146

Comment by Toni — 9:48 am February 3, 2014 #

2. Sigh, thanks. Second typo today. That’s my allotment for the entire month. Fixing.

Comment by WSB — 9:49 am February 3, 2014 #

3. Now all AH needs is a SAFE way for kids to get to school. Sidewalks??? Kids have to walk in the street to get to school or be driven, but it looks like the zoning will be asking for “less than required” parking.

Comment by Jason — 10:18 am February 3, 2014 #

4. I’m not clear what your point is. What does the amount of on-site parking have to do with how students get to/from school?

Comment by jwright — 11:24 am February 3, 2014 #

5. I agree with sidewalks. I drive my daughter to school and there are many kids walking down the middle of the street. It is very unsafe.

Comment by Bonnie — 11:43 am February 3, 2014 #

6. Those of you who are asking questions, please attend the meeting. I saw some of the early design specs (as part of the community advisory team) and was very impressed. If the designers have not modified the design significantly, I believe all the issues raised by above commenters will be thoughtfully addressed.

Comment by Toni — 12:24 pm February 3, 2014 #

7. How about enough parking for the STAFF?
    Has anyone in the district actually seen how much stuff teachers, on average, carry to/from?
    Educators’ jobs are arduous enough without having to carry extra burdens (pun intended).

Comment by happy — 12:56 pm February 3, 2014 #

8. Didn’t see mention of Pot Luck at Arbor Heights Elementary the evening of Feb 7, 2014. Great multicultural event w/ dance exhibition & student dance. My wife & I took our grandson. Only downside is that my grandson & I have Norovirus symptoms today. Wondered if anyone else was sick?

Comment by Mike Prisbrey — 5:43 pm February 9, 2014 #

9. Didn’t know about it in advance! A parent sent me a photo late Friday night but thought another one might be cleared for publication so if I get that we’ll publish them.

Comment by WSB — 6:07 pm February 9, 2014 #