Simultaneously inspired West Seattle neighbors open two new Little Free Libraries

January 27, 2014 at 6:06 pm | In West Seattle books, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

Each “Little Free Library” that springs up is a little bit of magic all its own. But two brand-new ones in West Seattle have come to life with what Monika explains, sharing the news, was “a lovely bit of synchronicity”:

This past weekend, on the 4800 block of Rutan Place SW, two sets of neighbors, completely unaware of each others’ activities, assembled and installed Little Free Libraries on their respective properties. Once aware of this “duel,” they enjoyed a healthy and hearty competition on the way to the installation of their libraries.

Both LFLs are now up, stocked and ready for the neighbors!

Karen and Bob White (pictured far left and far right immediately above this line) host the LFL at 4812 Rutan Place SW, while John and Monika (top photo) host the one at 4802. Feel free to stop by and see two different styles of libraries.

You can build one from scratch or order one from the LFL site.

Synchronicity is the coming together of inner and outer events in a way that cannot be explained by cause and effect and that is meaningful to the observer.
~ Carl Jung

Thanks!

Monika Lidman

1. A wonderful reminder of why I love West Seattle. Thanks you guys!

Comment by CEA — 6:26 pm January 27, 2014 #

2. We have had one on 19th ave SW in Pigeon Point for a couple of months now.

Comment by Pete — 6:46 pm January 27, 2014 #

3. It gives me a bit of faith in mankind to see these good “works” happen. I give thanks for such great neighbors.

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 6:47 pm January 27, 2014 #

4. I <3 West Seattle

Comment by AmandaKH — 6:57 pm January 27, 2014 #

5. “A child who reads will be an adult who thinks.”
    anonymous

Comment by sc — 7:03 pm January 27, 2014 #

6. Cool! And they both look awesome.

Comment by heather — 7:16 pm January 27, 2014 #

7. I’m kind of dumb, are these “exchanges” or Libraries?

Comment by Gary E — 7:59 pm January 27, 2014 #

8. Gary E. From what I understand, both exchanges and libraries. Which is part of what makes them attractive. (others who actually have had one feel free to chime in). I like the idea and have considered hosting one.

Comment by JayDee — 8:17 pm January 27, 2014 #

9. LFL is for everyone. Take books or leave books,return them if you wish or keep forever. We had books taken from both Little Free Libraries as we were stocking them on Saturday, titles that caught readers’ attention.
    More info here: http://www.littlefreelibrary.org
    And that is why we did it, to share.

Comment by karen — 10:11 pm January 27, 2014 #

10. Thanks for the great coverage! Monika and I had a blast doing it, and look forward to sharing with the neighborhood. If you’d like to see and read more about our experience building our library, feel free to visit our blog: https://verkstad.squarespace.com/blog/2014/1/28/welcome-to-our-little-free-library
    Thanks!

Comment by John Kieltyka — 10:29 pm January 27, 2014 #

11. I love this1 We talked about doing this in my neighborhood. I’m sure it will come to fruition at some point.

Comment by Joan — 8:39 am January 28, 2014 #

12. Congratulations and nice job on both builds! So great! I’ve been considering building one with my neighbors. The Little Free Library website has a map of little free libraries all over the world. http://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap
    You can click on the little icons to see what other communities have created…VERY inspiring!

Comment by JO — 9:45 am January 28, 2014 #

13. So lovely!!! I’ve been meaning to build one for some time now. Thank you for the inspiration.

Comment by Cause — 8:58 am January 29, 2014 #