Yes, there IS an Alki Beach Polar Bear Swim on New Year’s Day!

December 31, 2013 at 1:55 pm | In Holidays, Seen at sea, West Seattle news | 9 Comments

(New Year’s Day 2013 photo by Nick Adams)
Four people have asked about it in the past half-hour, so we’re thinking more than a few missed our first word on December 22nd that the Alki Beach Polar Bear Swim is definitely ON again tomorrow. So – here’s the reminder! 10 am New Year’s Day, gather on the beach across from Duke’s (map); better to be early than late, says organizer Mark Ufkes. As he observes, “This is a great way to wash away the complexities of 2013 and welcome the unlimited possibilities of 2014.”

1. It’s much more fun (and amusing) than you think it will be. Try it, you’ll like it.

Comment by Dale R — 2:47 pm December 31, 2013 #

2. It’s also fun to be a spectator. Thanks to Duke’s for serving their delicious clam chowder to the polar bears.

Comment by polar bear — 2:57 pm December 31, 2013 #

3. It’ll be fun to see the pics of the event, posted here on WSB, while staying warm at Home. ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 4:14 pm December 31, 2013 #

4. This will be year #3 for me – it is a LOT of fun.

Comment by Lisa — 6:54 pm December 31, 2013 #

5. Saw this last night and thought What the heck? Trying to branch out for 2014. I did it and it was great. Highly recommended!!

Comment by DH — 11:06 am January 1, 2014 #

6. Photos to come shortly!

Comment by WSB — 11:09 am January 1, 2014 #

7. Big turnout this year!

Comment by polar bear — 11:28 am January 1, 2014 #

8. I didn’t drag myself out of bed last year and this year I thought — I need this. My first time of many. I love the WS community and this made me feel rejuvenated. Thanks!!!

Comment by Megan — 2:09 pm January 1, 2014 #

9. We have published our story on this: http://westseattleblog.com/2014/01/west-seattle-new-years-day-2014-biggest-polar-bear-swim-ever/

Comment by WSB — 2:14 pm January 1, 2014 #