West Seattle scene: Birds of a feather, photographed together

December 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 8 Comments

Thanks to Chris Frankovich for sharing another stirring scene, photographed Christmas Eve morning; he explains, “It was a little gray and hazy but caught two spectaular occurrences: Two eagles in the tree (a first) and the Kenmore airplane flying by.” Click the image for a larger view.

1. Hmm. My Spidey senses are telling me that this looks like a very clever composite of two images.

Comment by Christopher Boffoli — 7:59 pm December 25, 2013 #

2. Ya think? I was thinking it must have been taken from a tall building across the street from the eagles, on the north side of Alki point. Pretty tall structure to be as tall as that tree. Or maybe from another aircraft.

Comment by Wednesday — 9:32 am December 26, 2013 #

3. Is this West Seattle? This photo would require a tight cove, which we don’t have many (any) of. I looked via google earth at our coastline and couldn’t find the location.

Comment by Alan — 9:39 am December 26, 2013 #

4. It does seem implausible. However maybe the location is Lake Washington.

Comment by dsa — 9:49 am December 26, 2013 #

5. I think it was shot from above Seola (Marine View Drive, near 35th) towards Three Tree Point. A powerful telephoto would compress the distance, giving the impression of a smaller cove and make the plane appear to be closer to the eagles than it was. Nicely done.

Comment by Alan — 10:01 am December 26, 2013 #

6. Lake Washington maybe???

Comment by payrollgirl — 3:58 pm December 26, 2013 #

7. It is tough to be 100% sure. But if you zoom in there seems to be disturbed pixels around the eagles and vegetation in the left foreground.

Comment by Christopher Boffoli — 9:21 pm December 26, 2013 #

8. Alan – You are correct! However the Kenmore Air plane was actually much closer than you would have thought. I was using my 70-200 lens to photograph the two eagles when I was surprised to see the sightseeing plane fly by the upper bank just as my timer released to take another picture.

Comment by Chris — 10:55 pm December 26, 2013 #