West Seattle restaurants: Cassis menu preview, chef choice, construction plan

December 11, 2013 at 10:09 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 12 Comments

The buildout starts next week at 2820 Alki SW, future home of French restaurant Cassis, according to proprietor Jef Fike, who just shared this update, including a menu preview and news of his choice for chef:

Construction of Cassis begins this Monday the 16th. We are projecting opening within the first two weeks of February.

Although I’m sure there will be some changes between now and then, I am attaching the opening menu to give you an idea of what we’ll be doing. Our hours to begin will be Wednesday-Monday, closed Tuesdays. In April or May we will open for Saturday and Sunday brunch and in June open 7 days and nights through the Summer months. We will also be doing a happy-hour menu daily from 4-6.

My Chef is Andy Dekle, a neighbor in West Seattle, formerly Head Chef at The Ruins, Local Vine, and currently at Portage Bay through the end of the year.

I encourage folks to like our Cassis page on Facebook. I’ll be doing updates on our progress as we chug along towards the opening.

Cassis’s previous incarnation was on Capitol Hill a decade ago; the Alki plan has been in the works for almost a year, but the location – formerly home to Alki Arts (which still has its Harbor Steps gallery downtown) – wasn’t finalized until this fall.

1. Can’t wait! The menu sounds perfect; hope they’ll have a nice wine list too.

Comment by Jeanine — 11:44 am December 11, 2013 #

2. Looks great. Im cautiously optimistic. Since moving to West Seattle this past Spring, my husband and I have been totally underwhelmed by the local dining scene. If we are spending upwards of $130 on dinner plus a babysitter, I want someone to keep my glass filled and not ask me to hold my fork between courses. The food has been ok but the service at most of the finer establishments is lacking. We are close to giving up and just sticking to Ballard and Capitol Hill for date nights, but maybe Cassis will raise the bar.

Comment by Hopeful in WS — 12:09 pm December 11, 2013 #

3. O happy day! Loved Cassis on Cap Hill, am beyond excited it’s coming to West Seattle!

Comment by Ms. Picky — 12:13 pm December 11, 2013 #

4. At the end of the meal will the check arrive without a pricing feature?

Comment by Lux — 1:28 pm December 11, 2013 #

5. Great looking menu! Please please please bring in the appropriate beers to pair with all of these great flavors.

Comment by Paul — 1:49 pm December 11, 2013 #

6. As a vegetarian who understands that food is a very personal choice, I enjoy dining in West Seattle with my carnivorous, omnivorous, and fellow herbivore friends. I find that most Seattle establishments understand and welcome the diversity of diners by providing at least one or two vegetarian friendly entree items (i.e. beyond salads and side veggies). I hope that Cassis will be welcoming in this way as well and make some meatless choices available.

Comment by Kat in HighPoint — 3:26 pm December 11, 2013 #

7. Kat, as a fellow vegetarian, I was thinking the same thing. Then again, French food isn’t exactly a vegetarian’s delight. Nor is the foie gras on the menu! Regardless, I wish Cassis success.

Comment by Sonoma — 9:54 pm December 11, 2013 #

8. If I can get a great cassoulet without having to go downtown, I’m there. I’ll be interested to see how this place works out in that location, as well.

Comment by Petert — 8:25 am December 12, 2013 #

9. Best of luck. That’s a tough place for new restaurants.

Comment by sgg — 8:39 am December 12, 2013 #

10. Yeah, simply the presence of foie gras, AKA duck torture, will keep me away.

Comment by Christy — 9:57 am December 12, 2013 #

11. Cassoulet!

Comment by Dan — 5:57 pm December 12, 2013 #

12. I loved Cassis when it was up on the hill, so wishing them the best of luck!

Comment by Jeff — 8:51 pm December 12, 2013 #