Update: Basement fire at home near Westwood Village

December 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm | In West Seattle fires, West Seattle news, Westwood | 21 Comments

(Photos by Christopher Boffoli for WSB)
11:14 PM: Big response for a house-fire call in the 9000 block of 21st SW, near Westwood Village (map) – possibly a fire in the basement. More shortly.

11:29 PM UPDATE: Christopher Boffoli is there for WSB and confirms it’s a basement fire – very smoky, he adds. Via radio, we’ve heard firefighters declare it “tapped.” No injuries reported so far.

11:37 PM UPDATE: Update from Christopher – all the residents got out OK; they’re still doing inventory on pets – he says, “They grabbed their dogs but they say a couple of cats are inside.”

1. aww man that sucks. I was wondering hearing TONS of sirens for the last 15 minutes.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 11:17 pm December 24, 2013 #

2. the cats died :(

Comment by Westseaattle2u6 — 1:44 am December 25, 2013 #

3. So sorry to hear that.

Comment by WSB — 1:55 am December 25, 2013 #

4. What a bummer to hear about the kitties.

Comment by Kevin — 2:52 am December 25, 2013 #

5. aaww poor kitties.sorry.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 5:03 am December 25, 2013 #

6. This was my sister in laws apartment and they are all okay, except the cats. They do have a two year old though and we could really use any clothes in 2T or 3T that anyone may be able to donate today. We have the adults covered but with all the stores being closed today, we’re searching for clothes for the baby. If anyone can help, please call me at 206.200.2319 and I can come pick it up. Thanks so much.

Comment by Kari Finn — 10:30 am December 25, 2013 #

7. Kari, I took the liberty of posting a request, with a link to your comment, over on the WSB Forums Page:

I’m sorry this happened to your family, especially with the loss of the cats, and the time of year and such, but am glad that everyone else made it out okay.

Mike

Comment by miws — 11:41 am December 25, 2013 #

8. Boy or girl toddler?

Comment by Katie — 11:52 am December 25, 2013 #

9. Everything we’ve got is too big, but I wonder if anyone could get hold of WestSide Baby, if this is something they could help with. Probably a bit off protocol, but some sleep pants and a few bit of clothing would really help here.

Comment by Irukandji — 11:59 am December 25, 2013 #

10. Kari- I called and left a message too, but I can set you up with clothes and probably whatever else you might need for a 2 year old for a few days. I’m just a few blocks away.

Comment by Tia — 12:05 pm December 25, 2013 #

11. My son has moved past his 3t clothes. We have 2t/3t clothes and pull ups if needed. Does the kiddo need a christmas gift too?

Comment by Holly Geringer — 12:19 pm December 25, 2013 #

12. Who knows what they need? Has anyone heard? I sent a text but didnt receive a reply.

Comment by A — 12:48 pm December 25, 2013 #

13. How about bedding, shoes(size), diapers, etc?

Comment by Tia — 12:49 pm December 25, 2013 #

14. We’ve got some 2t boys clothes. Do you still need them?

Comment by Danielle — 12:52 pm December 25, 2013 #

15. We have 2t and 24 month clothes and some shoes we can donate if stuff is still needed. Let me know.

Comment by wendy — 12:54 pm December 25, 2013 #

16. Info would helpful on where to donate. Thank you.

Comment by Dustin — 1:00 pm December 25, 2013 #

17. Thank you so much West Seattle. We’ve received a huge outpouring of love and support and donations from you. I’m still catching up on all the calls and IMs, sorry if I haven’t gotten back yet. As of right now we’re totally set.Thanks again for all the support.

Comment by kari finn — 1:01 pm December 25, 2013 #

18. Not only am I choked up by what happened to this family, but I’m also teary-eyed by the generous response from this community. Love to all…

Comment by NeighborMom — 1:03 pm December 25, 2013 #

19. Found the number after all.

Comment by Dustin — 1:11 pm December 25, 2013 #

20. Oh no, love and prayers.

Comment by Bertha Christ — 1:13 pm December 25, 2013 #

21. I can’t even begin to imagine. Makes me teary eyed just reading about it. So thankful no one was hurt. And thankful we were able to donate a few things to the family. Best wishes to you.

Comment by westseagal — 1:59 pm December 25, 2013 #