Happening now: See the Wienermobile at Roxbury Safeway

December 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

Had no idea until Elissa sent that photo from Roxbury Safeway – the iconic (well, depending on your age) Oscar Meyer Wienermobile is there today. Checked online and discovered the appearance is scheduled until 5 pm. While writing this, we received another pic – thanks, Lawrence!

The store is at 9620 28th Ave SW. Elissa says they’re giving away tchotchkes including stickers.

1. They have the 2-tone whistles, but you have to ask for them.

Comment by Dapuffin — 3:10 pm December 12, 2013 #

2. My brother and I ran into the Wiener Mobile in 1961 or 62 in Torrance CA when we were little guys. Got a whistle also! If I remember right a small man popped out of the top and gave us our whistles. I’ve always remembered that.

Comment by timh2o — 3:33 pm December 12, 2013 #

3. Fun. The Dalai Lama was in town the last time the Wiener Mobile was around a handful of years ago? I now associate each with the other. Makes me smile :)

Comment by westseattledood — 3:40 pm December 12, 2013 #

4. Only reference we have here to a prior WS W-mobile visit was also Roxbury Safeway, September 2010.
    His Holiness appears to have visited in 2008. But nothing sez the W-mobile wasn’t somewhere in Seattle then too…

Comment by WSB — 3:44 pm December 12, 2013 #

5. Yup. But both were in town at the same time. My “handful of years” is getting bigger every year, I think ;)

Comment by westseattledood — 3:52 pm December 12, 2013 #

6. I am dying to see the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile. Is it possible for me to be alerted when that happens by e-mail.

Comment by elizabeth walden — 4:03 pm December 12, 2013 #

7. Elizabeth, I don’t know – follow the link in the story to the official website and see if they have alerts!

Comment by WSB — 4:20 pm December 12, 2013 #

8. Whew!!
    With that headline I thought maybe Huma let him out and he came here to run for office!!

Comment by 935 — 5:12 pm December 12, 2013 #

9. If he were involved, our headline would have a typo. We already had our typo for the quarter a couple days ago when I misspelled Seacrest while writing a headline with the iPhone. Whew indeed!

Comment by WSB — 5:14 pm December 12, 2013 #

10. The Wienermobile made a difficult turn around in North Delridge back in 2008. It was in a pinch at the intersection of Delridge Way SW and SW Edmunds Street as it tried to get in and out of what was then called Bubbles, and now goes by the name Pearls. It was a total gas as it looked so out of place and BIG. I shot a few pics. One is here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152143756814688&set=o.138557508552&type=3&theater

Comment by Mike D. — 9:28 pm December 12, 2013 #

11. That is funny – how in the world did we miss that? Anyway, thanks for sharing. That must be the one mentioned earlier as concurrent with the Dalai Lama’s visit, which was in 2008 … TR

Comment by WSB — 9:36 pm December 12, 2013 #

12. Great pic, Mike D.!

There’s so many, at least mildly NSFW, captions that could be applied to that! :-D

Mike