Happening now: North Delridge prefab townhouses flying into place

December 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm | In Delridge, West Seattle housing, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

Across from the 13th hole of the West Seattle Golf Course, in the 2800 block of SW Genesee (map), a crane is lifting three prefab townhouses into place, module by module. We reported on the modules’ arrival back on Saturday; now, the installation is a hot ticket on the cold, shady side of the street:

Of course, we, our fellow newspeople, and the spectators could leave at any time. Not an option for the crew working to make sure it’s all done correctly and safely – no mean feat given the size of the lot:

As noted in our previous story, the dozen or so modules comprising Method Homes‘ 3-unit, 2-building townhouse project were trucked in from the factory in Ferndale and parked along 26th SW west of Delridge Community Center/Park, a temporary staging zone:

The work is scheduled to continue tomorrow, with intermittent lane closures on Genesee while it’s under way.

P.S. For three quick video clips from the midmorning module lift, check out the WSB Instagram feed.

1. So cool. For a few years I’ve been looking at building a house this way. There are so many companies doing these great, modern designs that it is hard to make up my mind which way to go. Though I’ve definitely admired Chris Pardo’s architecture for a while now.

Comment by cjboffoli — 2:10 pm December 3, 2013 #

2. just recently drove by one…looked very odd, almost like a small office bldg. amongst the rest of the older houses.

Comment by JanS — 3:31 pm December 3, 2013 #

3. There goes the neighborhood…it has just been improved BIG TIME.

Comment by Genesee Hill — 6:05 pm December 3, 2013 #

4. http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2013/03/sorting-out-what-happened-at-the-social/
    He’s a winner!

Comment by Mike — 10:44 pm December 3, 2013 #

5. I find it interesting that he may not be a licensed architect in WA.

Comment by Mike — 10:50 pm December 3, 2013 #

6. wow; thanks for the link Mike; I met Chris and Laura few years ago, when they were “building their empire” on Cap Hill; even had a big magazine spread; then I saw on fb not long ago that Laura went to court over the Social, and Chris seems to be doing a lot in Palm Springs; but had no idea about all the details of all the other stuff; explains so much
    ~
    it was also Chris’s company that prior to the recession had bought the wonderful old brick apt bldg on Alki that he was going to demolish and replace with modern; Tracy ran a story with the rendering of the super glossy modern condos planned; that was one really good thing to come out of the recession; the apt bldg went into foreclosure and has since been bought and beautifully restored; I always forget the name of that apt bldg, across from Alki Auto; it has been saved and is gorgeous now, inside and out; I toured when they started renting, really well done

Comment by Diane — 2:15 am December 4, 2013 #

7. Diane, that would be the Shoremont Apartments Building.

Can’t believe that proposed project is from over 5 1/2 years ago!.

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:57 am December 4, 2013 #

8. Creatives aren’t always such good businesspeople I guess.

Comment by cjboffoli — 9:18 am December 4, 2013 #

9. ah yes, Diane- so glad that awful design for Alki never materialized in place of the older brick apt. building!

Comment by sam-c — 9:18 am December 4, 2013 #

10. Side note, while Chris Pardo’s name is familiar, until reading some of the associated links here, I hadn’t recalled that Dave Biddle was his partner in PB. For anyone else who follows city permits/development closely, they will recognize that name from many of the applications for projects funded by West Seattle-based Blueprint Capital (which to be clear is NOT involved with this project).
    But again, to also be clear for anyone just casually jumping into this thread: Method Homes is the company building this project on SW Genesee. Chris Pardo is listed as their design/architecture partner. But as far as I can tell, he does NOT own or have any other interest in Method Homes. Method also works with other architects, as noted in this profile from last year: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/print-edition/2012/07/06/building-blocks.html?page=all – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:33 am December 4, 2013 #

11. Re: Dave Biddle and Blueprint; thanks Tracy; and omg, how the plot thickens; or clarifies; I never made that connection; that explains so much more about Blueprint tactics
    ~
    thanks Mike; for the name, and the link; so grateful the Shoremont was saved
    ~
    as I was reading through the story and comments last night about Chris/Laura, so revealing; it reminded me of “Catch Me If You Can”, one of my favorite movies that I’ve watched countless times, always amazed what a young kid could pull off; one of the last comments in the Cap Hill story was someone from Palm Springs, talking about Chris now doing the same thing out in PS, where no one knew him or his reputation; when I met Chris, I was surprised how very young he looks/acts, even giggly; Laura, seemed very mature/classy; ever since meeting them, I wondered how they were financing everything; god, what a nightmare
    ~
    also, btw; Laura told me she grew up in West Seattle; I was trying to get her to open a PoDog here
    ~
    Method Homes has gotten tons of publicity past couple days, with komo4 doing repeated long story about these prefab townhomes being installed; interviewing Method Homes rep, and realtor; zero mention of Chris

Comment by Diane — 2:11 pm December 4, 2013 #

12. Diane, even though I could most often come up with the name “Shoremont” without giving it much thought, I have to admit that I had to look it up this morning! ;-)

Mike