Followup: Inside The Bridge as it prepares to open new location

December 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 32 Comments

(MONDAY UPDATE: Jenny at The Bridge now says the new location opens THURSDAY at 5 pm)

The dilapidated exterior of 6301 California SW is now a memory, but the old Chuck and Sally’s Tavern sign lives on in the back of the building’s new incarnation as The Bridge. With it are two of the co-proprietors, Trevor Garand and Rita Dixson, in their Seahawks gear because they opened the new place to invitees for this afternoon’s game.

You should be able to watch the NEXT Seahawks game there, because they’re expecting to officially open on Friday (December 13th) Thursday 12/12.

The site is returning to life as a business for the first time since August 2007, when it abruptly closed, initially, as reported here in September of that year, with just a sign mentioning cooler problems. A “For Lease” sign went up in early 2011, but it continued to idle as a vandalized eyesore. Then this past May, as first reported here, Rita, Trevor, and partners Jenny Almukhtar and Ahmed Almukhtar signed a lease and confirmed The Bridge would renovate and move into the building. Its original building near 35th and Avalon, closed last week, is scheduled for demolition when a six-story, 160-unit, 162-parking-space mixed-use building goes up.

1. *Like*

Comment by Chuck and Sally's Van Man — 8:47 pm December 8, 2013 #

2. I didn’t frequent the previous location, but I am very excited for a closer location!

Comment by Yo — 8:49 pm December 8, 2013 #

3. we can’t wait to try it out! Looks great!

Comment by ttt — 9:00 pm December 8, 2013 #

4. I’m so glad they chose to hang the old Chuck & Sally’s sign inside! The whole place looks great!

Comment by iamseriodotus — 7:57 am December 9, 2013 #

5. There went the parking in the neighborhood.

Comment by MCJ — 8:59 am December 9, 2013 #

6. what was parking like when c&s was open?

Comment by lal — 9:39 am December 9, 2013 #

7. MCJ, there are businesses all up and down California–it is a commercial area. I don’t really think that a single new restaurant will significantly impact parking.

Funny how there is always a negative nancy for every story on here, even when it is a mostly positive occurrence (rehabilitated old building, new dining option in the neighborhood, more jobs, etc).

Comment by WestSea Neighbor — 10:21 am December 9, 2013 #

8. The site at least has some parking. We are kind of wistful because in the building’s quiet years, we often parked there for a few minutes while taking photos at the many charitable and otherwise-newsworthy events that have happened at Feedback Lounge (sponsor) and Beveridge Place Pub. But we’ll be OK :) The microhousing building on the drawing boards a block away is likely to be more of an impact (5949 California SW – http://web1.seattle.gov/DPD/permitstatus/Project.aspx?id=6356725 ). Or – perhaps it really will draw more carless residents, since there will be even more great places to walk to in the Morgan Junction business district. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 10:35 am December 9, 2013 #

9. @MCJ Complaints such as yours prove that there truly is no way to please everyone.
    A building is shuttered for 7 years with no prospective tenants in sight? Residents complain that the building is a neighborhood blight.
    That same building receives a tenant that completely renovates the interior and exterior and retains the rear parking lot? Residents still complain that the increased business traffic will take away their coveted parking spots.
    If you want guaranteed on-street parking, you might want to set your sites somewhere other than Seattle. It’s going away.

Comment by iamseriodotus — 11:03 am December 9, 2013 #

10. WSB, how about posting a picture of the revamped exterior? My mother-in-law lived for years just a stone’s throw away on Graham, and I’d love to send her a link that would show her the new face to the old building. Redirect me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t found any photos since the story you did in May.

Comment by Kathleen — 11:03 am December 9, 2013 #

11. @Kathleen: There’s a photo here: http://westseattleblog.com/2013/11/west-seattle-biznote-the-bridge-sets-final-day-at-original-location/

And also here: http://westseattleblog.com/2013/11/west-seattle-scene-sign-time-for-the-bridges-new-location/

Comment by iamseriodotus — 11:29 am December 9, 2013 #

12. “There went the parking in the neighborhood”

Comment by MCJ — 8:59 am December 9, 2013 #

While parking may be impacted the rat/mice population should go down. I am glad the new owners have fixed this dump up and welcome them to the neighborhood. The “clientle” will vastly improve compared to the old Chuck n Sallys days, trust me.

Comment by Born on Alki — 12:02 pm December 9, 2013 #

13. Perhaps I was a bit grumpy earlier with the parking comment.

It does look fantastic and I’ve heard that they are great people. I am happy to see the change.

Cheers and success to the Bridge.

Comment by MCJ — 12:05 pm December 9, 2013 #

14. I knew it would look amazing but Trevor, Rita and co. really outdid themselves. I can’t wait to see it in person!

Comment by HelperMonkey — 3:44 pm December 9, 2013 #

15. What an improvement to the area! Good luck to the owners, and for those who complain about parking, free parking in front of where you want to go is not a right that comes with owning a car!! Bring on more density and businesses- and walk a couple blocks or 3, or 4,…..

Comment by WSSgal — 5:04 pm December 9, 2013 #

16. I for one will be walking over. Can’t wait!

Comment by Robert — 7:54 pm December 9, 2013 #

17. Glad they kept the “Suck & Chally’s” sign. ;-)

Comment by MrB — 8:56 pm December 9, 2013 #

18. As a long time neighbor, I remember the days when the drunks would pour out of Chuck and Sally’s. Loud, obnoxious behavior, fights and near fights, car door slams and revving engines, and basically a total disregard for anyone trying to sleep in the dark homes nearby. Welcome back Chuck and Sally’s. Last night (a Monday!) was an unwanted flashback. I did not fall asleep until 1:30, or should I say, was not allowed to. I was first woken up at midnight by loud talk and laughter and revelry (which then turned to what sounded like a fight brewing), and later a guy in his diesel truck waiting on a friend down the street for easily 10 minutes before racing off (mostly likely drunk by his aggressive driving) did not help. So let me ask the new owner’s: do you have a plan for helping keep the peace, or do you care? I did not call the police to report the intrusion, but I will not hesitate in the future. If last night was a harbinger of things to come (I can only imagine weekend festivities…) this is not going to sit well with me or the rest of the neighbors trying to sleep. I don’t mean to be “that guy,” but a loud bar in a quiet neighbor is not a good a mix. And so it begins.

Comment by Lost Sleep — 9:06 am December 10, 2013 #

19. Lost sleep – sure sounds like a bummer about your quiet. The bummer being that your home is apparently next to a busy street with a bar. Poor choice of home location if quiet is your goal. Don’t blame the business, it’s not like a loud neighbor in an otherwise quiet residential neighborhood.

Comment by rico — 9:24 am December 10, 2013 #

20. @MCJ, really great to see a nice follow-up response, refreshing! Looking forward to checking out the new Bridge soon. Now the eye-sore will focus on the nearby mini-mart. Wouldn’t it be nice to see that place cleaned up?

Comment by Trevor — 9:34 am December 10, 2013 #

21. So Rico, what time did YOU leave the bar? And yes, I do blame the business, and will. Just because it’s a bar does not excuse it from its responsibility to operate in a quiet, acceptable fashion–including its patrons. I can only imagine how unsufferable it will be for the people trying to sleep in the apartments right next door.

Comment by Lost Sleep — 9:36 am December 10, 2013 #

22. Trevor, if you hadn’t heard, the city is buying that site for a park, though the matter of development money for the park will be separate, so the commercial building is likely to be there a while longer.

Comment by WSB — 10:02 am December 10, 2013 #

23. Please, oh pleeease put some (good) vegetarian options on the menu, Bridge folks. West Seattle needs an awesome bar that is also veg-friendly (french fries and gardenburgers are played out).

Comment by your neighbor — 1:06 pm December 10, 2013 #

24. Umm, I have not been to a bar in many months. Just pointing out that your recent need for quiet (recent because apparently was not a concern when you moved in) does not justify criticizing a business. Do you really think a business can control its’ patrons once they leave. That does not even work with one’s own kids once they leave the house.

Comment by rico — 1:56 pm December 10, 2013 #

25. Thank you The Bridge for cleaning up this corner of the Morgan Junction, I am sure the value of my house down the street has gone up due to all your hard work renovating this eyesore. As to the noise complaints The Bridge is not the only establishment in the Morgan Junction that is open till 2am. I have had overflow from The Feedback and Bev Place and heard people getting to their cars at all hours and guess what, you learn to live with it. I chose to live in a city and with that decision comes that understanding that this is city living, with all the perks (walking distance to stores and great establishments) as well as some of the cons- tight parking, noise from the large population in a dense neighborhood etc. Also lets not forget, before The Bridge came, there was a van permanently parked out back, there were junkies hanging out back, lots of cons. They are a positive change that I embrace wholeheartedly. For the weekends I’ve purchased myself some ear plugs and I find this to be a small compromise I am willing to make in order to have that eye sore gone forever.

Comment by morgan junction resident — 2:29 pm December 10, 2013 #

26. Not to point out the obvious or anything, but @Lost Sleep, The Bridge isn’t even open until Thursday so it couldn’t have been noise from there that you heard last night.

Comment by Elisaid — 3:06 pm December 10, 2013 #

27. El – actually they have had friends/family events dating back to Saturday or so. Last night, I believe, was “industry night” – a chance for others in the local restaurant/bar scene to come get a sneak preview; Rita mentioned it when she called Sunday to invite us to come take photos, something we’d been nagging them about for a while – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:13 pm December 10, 2013 #

28. Ahh.. I knew that they had an event Sunday for friends and family, I wasn’t aware they had one last night as well. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Comment by Elisaid — 4:07 pm December 10, 2013 #

29. For the record, I am hugely appreciative of the renovations the Bridge has undergone. Yes, it likely improved my property value and I am glad to be rid of the vagrants. Having said that, I value my sleep and last night was (I fear) a bad precedent. Learning that it was in industry function is telling; those who sell drinks know how to do it up. I’m crossing my fingers that under normal patronage there will be a reasonable expectation of quiet. ‘Cause I’m not moving and chronic complaints are not a good thing for a liquor license. Just sayin’. Here’s to good food and good neighbors (I hope).

Comment by Lost Sleep — 4:49 pm December 10, 2013 #

30. Here’s an idea, Lost Sleep, and others whose first course of action is to anonymously call the police and/or threaten the reputation and livelihood of a business based on a single occurrence: Go into the establishment during a time that’s not typically busy, ask for the manager or owner, and discuss your concerns. (You know, like someone who’s not from Seattle.) Explain that you’re a neighbor and come up with an escalation path if things get too rowdy or noisy outside for your liking. I’m guessing that owners who just made a substantial investment to move their business and make a major upgrade to the neighborhood would like the chance to be good neighbors.

Comment by Alphonse — 11:20 pm December 10, 2013 #

31. Personally I am excited that a new bar has made it down to Morgan Junction. There are a lot of new bar business owners in the neighborhood who believe in supporting the neighborhood and the community as a whole, such as the Bridge and the Skylark Cafe (sorry if I have missed anyone). I know from speaking with the owners of both establishments that they are engaged and they want to work with their immediate neighbors. How can that be a bad thing?

Comment by Tracy — 11:34 pm December 12, 2013 #

32. We live a block away from the “new” Bridge, and are thrilled to have it have in the neighborhood. They have done a spectacular job with the remodel, and we are so happy not to have to look the eyesore that was Chuck & Sally’s any longer. We had never been to the previous Bridge location until they announced the move to Morgan Junction, so we went there primarily to check out the food. They have a wonderful brunch menu, and we have been to the old location a number of times since. Eager to eat at the new location since they are now a short walk away. We are happy to have another good eating establishment in the neighborhood to join Abondonza, Zeke’s, Kokoras, and Feedback. As far as the noise, we’d much rather have The Bridge than yet another “fugly” apartment building or townhome cluster like the ones that keep popping up all over West Seattle.

Comment by Dr. S — 5:45 pm December 14, 2013 #