West Seattle wildlife: Rare white pelican visiting

November 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm | In West Seattle news, Wildlife | 12 Comments

(Click image for larger view)
Trileigh Tucker has shared some beautiful bird photos here in recent years – but these are the first ones of an American White Pelican!

Even brown pelicans are seldom seen here in the Puget Sound area (though one visited West Seattle last winter). This one turned up in the Lincoln Park/Lowman Beach area; we also have a photo of the white pelican on the water, courtesy of Emily Austin:

Emily says this is the second consecutive day she’s seen the pelican. According to the Seattle Audubon website, their range in our state is usually closer to the Columbia River.

1. Thanks again to Trileigh for spotting another amazing critter!

Comment by k — 12:38 pm November 2, 2013 #

2. Thanks, K! I hope you can get down there and see him/her.

Comment by Trileigh — 12:44 pm November 2, 2013 #

3. maybe the wind blew him up here from the Columbia :)

Comment by JanS — 1:24 pm November 2, 2013 #

4. @ Trileigh – Thanks for sharing, so graceful!

Comment by Kip — 1:53 pm November 2, 2013 #

5. Nice photo, Emily!

Comment by kalo — 2:04 pm November 2, 2013 #

6. Add to the wildlife sightings just had two small flocks of snow geese flying over our house headed south. I know they are starting to arrive back up in the skagit area but never see them down this way

Comment by JimClark — 2:24 pm November 2, 2013 #

7. Wonderful photo, Trileigh!

Comment by Sonoma — 8:57 pm November 2, 2013 #

8. Beautiful photos Emily & Trileigh, would love to see this gorgeous pelican!
    -Alisa

Comment by seewhatsealionsstart — 9:45 pm November 2, 2013 #

9. Okay! I saw it flying around above/around Fauntleroy ferry terminal on Friday afternoon on my commute home to Vashon. At first I thought, great blue heron? But then I realized it was white. Kinda puzzled me but I shrugged it off. Two crows were following it around as it swooped around the cove. Very cool – glad I just spotted this post! Thanks WSB & neighbors!

Comment by Maggie — 6:19 pm November 3, 2013 #

10. Nice photos.
    It’s very unusual to see these birds singly.

Comment by KarenJo — 12:42 pm November 4, 2013 #

11. So glad that some other folks got to see this beautiful bird as well! There are additional photos in better light on my Flickr site at Flickr.com/photos/Trileigh.

Comment by Trileigh — 8:34 am November 5, 2013 #

12. just spotted an all white pelican circling tree tops for a landing above wetlands at south end of first avenue south bridge as i headed north around noon today. not like the brown ones i see in baja california, it had a huge wingspan like an adult bald eagle. amazing, didn’t think they made it this far north or west!

Comment by steve silver — 2:53 pm November 17, 2013 #