Update: Car-flip crash on Admiral Way, 1 driver hurt

November 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle traffic alerts, WS breaking news | 39 Comments

(Photos by Christopher Boffoli for WSB – initial cameraphone photos replaced Wed. evening)
2:12 PM: There’s a report of a crash on the Admiral Way hill north of the bridge, 3500 block, with a major emergency response. We’re on our way to find out more.

2:21 PM: Added a photo. We don’t know yet about the condition of anyone who had been in the vehicle.

2:28 PM: Christopher Boffoli reports from the scene that the driver of the car, a Nissan Z, got himself out of the wreckage and does not seem to be seriously hurt. Both Christopher and co-publisher Patrick Sand, also there, report that some traffic is getting around the scene – but we’d still advise avoiding the area if you can.

5:04 PM UPDATE: The scene cleared some time ago, as noted by a commenter (we have since driven through the area as well).

A second vehicle was involved; we asked Seattle Fire spokesperson Kyle Moore about the drivers’ conditions, and he replied, “AMR transported a male in his 30′s in stable condition with minor scrapes to HMC. He was from the car that was rolled over. The female driver of the other car declined treatment or transport.”

1. One of the cars is upside down completely demolished perhaps even caught fire?

Comment by Near Alki — 2:18 pm November 6, 2013 #

2. I jut drove by, and it looks bad.

Comment by JH — 2:20 pm November 6, 2013 #

3. Happened right outside of my window (I overlook Admiral Way). Looks like a one-car crash, someone hit a tree. The car caught on fire, but the driver walked away, luckily. The car is a mangled mess, so glad driver is okay though.

Comment by velvetabby — 2:24 pm November 6, 2013 #

4. I have info now from one of our two people at the scene, adding. Indeed, it does appear the driver is OK, or at least not seriously hurt. Thank you – TR

Comment by WSB — 2:27 pm November 6, 2013 #

5. that looks like going down the hill – correct?

Comment by Colleen — 2:38 pm November 6, 2013 #

6. Up or downhill?

Comment by Christa — 2:41 pm November 6, 2013 #

7. Downhill. Just passed it and am not a rubbernecker so I can’t add any further details than that. Traffic is backed up from about 1/2 up the hill to single lanes.

Comment by J242 — 2:50 pm November 6, 2013 #

8. People drive way too fast up and down that hill. The speed limit is 30!!!

Comment by People Dust — 2:51 pm November 6, 2013 #

9. How the heck does one do that? Too fast for conditions (the driver’s condition or the roadway?) Weaved to avoid a coyote? A medical issue?— (doubtful since the driver self-extricated).

Comment by WestSide45 — 2:52 pm November 6, 2013 #

10. I passed just after it happened, thought because of how totaled the car was, maybe it came down that bank, but highly unlikely. Still a mystery how the car was so damaged tho, given that’s a 30mph zone.

Comment by shane — 2:59 pm November 6, 2013 #

11. southeastbound – the Viaduct signs are only along the side of the road headed toward the bridge. – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:02 pm November 6, 2013 #

12. I drive that hill many times, and many drivers go 40, even 50 mph both up and down Admiral. The driver is indeed very lucky to have walked away from this. Glad he’s OK.

Comment by JanS — 3:10 pm November 6, 2013 #

13. Jesus Christ!

Comment by enough — 3:20 pm November 6, 2013 #

14. It is cleared now.

Comment by Panda — 3:37 pm November 6, 2013 #

15. I saw the mangled mess and can’t believe the person walked away. Very lucky. I saw a tree that appeared to be hit, meaning the vehicle was headed downhill on Admiral. There was another car further down that was perhaps side swiped, parked in the brush. Though I don’t know exactly what happened, I’m gonna guess texting, because I see it so often. You can stand at the intersection of Admiral/Olga and see every 4th or 5th car texting.

Comment by steve — 3:45 pm November 6, 2013 #

16. YOWZA!!! Folks were luck to walk away from this….

Comment by Kalo — 5:15 pm November 6, 2013 #

17. That car saved his life!

Comment by justme — 5:45 pm November 6, 2013 #

18. I passed the wreck just as the Fire Truck was pulling away from the location of the first burnt out car. That car’s driver must have already been taken to HMC. The driver of the second car was just sitting in the grass by the side of the road looking dazed. Her car was parked further down the hill and did have some minor damage to it. Possible that someone got sideswiped as already mentioned, or clipped during an attempted lane change. I also was amazed that anyone could have survived. He’s very, very lucky that he didn’t end up in the oncoming traffic lane.

Comment by westseattlite — 5:58 pm November 6, 2013 #

19. Any ideas on what’s slowing traffic down now? Been sitting on the viaduct for 30 minutes and barely moving.

Comment by wsborn&bred — 6:10 pm November 6, 2013 #

20. Just got word of three-car crash SB 99 by the bridge.

Comment by WSB — 6:15 pm November 6, 2013 #

21. Those things are way too dangerous. Crashes every day. They really should be banned. They call these ‘accidents’. Every day there’s a fresh new crop of ‘accidents’.

Comment by I. Ponder — 6:54 pm November 6, 2013 #

22. does anyone know what kind of car he was driving?

Comment by M — 9:37 pm November 6, 2013 #

23. What one of our crews observed is in the story.

Comment by WSB — 9:45 pm November 6, 2013 #

24. This driver was lucky, but this new generation of cars tips over so easy they should have roll bars.

Comment by dsa — 11:52 pm November 6, 2013 #

25. I am glad the driver in the rolled over car was unhurt. It is hard to imagine that result given how his car looks. Amazing!

Comment by Lisa — 9:12 am November 7, 2013 #

26. I was text n driving or drinking it was meerly an accident. Im just thankful we both walked away.

Comment by Sara — 11:12 am November 7, 2013 #

27. Recent comments seem to indicate they were just driving along and car flipped over and demolished itself. Silly car!

Comment by I. Ponder — 11:52 am November 7, 2013 #

28. I’m confused by Sara’s comment above. Is she admitting to texting AND drinking and driving? And the phrase “merely an accident”…that is the most disturbing thing I’ve heard in a long time. If indeed it was caused by texting and driving it was not merely an accident – it was an avoidable disaster that sent one person to the hospital, cost thousands of dollars in material damages, inconvenienced scores of other drivers, and required the response of taxpayer-funded services. If drivers who cause wrecks by being selfish idiots on the road were charged for the total cost of the “accident”, we might see a drop in idiots on the road.

Comment by higgins — 2:02 pm November 7, 2013 #

29. Sara, were you the other driver? Are you saying he was drinking or texting, or you were? So glad everyone was relatively okay, I drove by afterward and it looked really scary!

Comment by WSHIP — 2:36 pm November 7, 2013 #

30. Higgins, my interpretation of the comment is that she (if truly she was involved, I don’t have a way to verify, by name or otherwise) was saying NOT texting and driving. FWIW.

Comment by WSB — 2:40 pm November 7, 2013 #

31. Lol i wasn’t texting or drinking stupid auto correct. I believe i was trying to be passed and in doing so he had to speed up when he did i think he hit the side which pushed him back into me which seems to have set his car airborne but really it all happened so fast its hard to pin point just glad the gentleman survived.

Comment by sara — 11:09 pm November 7, 2013 #

32. Sara you speed up so that he could not pass and you were on your phone, why not just let the other driver pass?

Comment by melissa — 10:53 am November 8, 2013 #

33. Melissa I WAS NOT ON MY PHONE….. you should re-read he sped up to pass,geez is the whole world guilty b4 innocent?lol and it was neither his fault or mine…..IT WAS AN ACCIDENT HE WASNT GOING SUPER FAST I THINK HE JUST HIT THE CURB THEN ME JUST RIGHT AND WE WALKED AWAY SO I JUST THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT WERE ALIVE!!!

Comment by Sara — 11:13 am November 8, 2013 #

34. I’m glad you’re okay, Sara. May I gently suggest that you carefully proofread what you write before hitting send?

Comment by MCJ — 1:20 pm November 8, 2013 #

35. Sara, why would you speed up and cause this horrible accident that almost cost another person their life?! Not to mention texting and drinking while driving.

Jeez some people.

Comment by Tom — 1:53 pm November 8, 2013 #

36. I’m not sure what is more tragic — the auto accident that resulted in a flipped and destroyed car, or the inability of some WSB commenters to actually READ what sara wrote… ;)

Ok. Tom must be joking. But everyone else knock it off!

Comment by Layne Benofsky — 2:25 pm November 8, 2013 #

37. Omg you people REALLY NEED TO READ AND I SURE HOPE YOU DONT HAVE A LICENSE BECAUSE YOU WOULD THINK THE STOP SIGN IS A GO SIGN……RLMFAO IM DONT REPEATING MYSELF

Comment by Sara — 2:29 pm November 8, 2013 #

38. Thanks Layne i was begining to wonder if anyone could read,lol and poo on the rest of you and im glad he was okay!! I did call and check on him they wouldnt give me his name just he was doing good. God was looking out for us that day not to mention he is super hot and EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON JUST WAITING TO SEE WHAT THAT REASON IS:-) maybe to appreciate life more or to tell me that there is more to life then work. I have definatley been humbled by this and i will not let negative comments get me down because the only people who can judge is me and him.
    HAVE A BLESSED DAY AND APPRECIATE EVERYDAY GOD GIVES YOU BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS!!<3:-)

Comment by Sara — 3:55 pm November 8, 2013 #