West Seattle coyotes: Backyard sighting caught on camera

November 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm | In Coyotes, West Seattle news, Wildlife | 17 Comments

(Click image for larger view)
Joe shared that photo a short time ago after spotting the coyote in a backyard in the 3900 block of 55th SW (map). “This one looks like a big one,” he observed. As always, a reminder – best thing to do if you see a coyote relatively close-up is to scare it away, yelling, waving your arms, throwing things. And as a state wildlife biologist told a recent meeting at West Seattle’s Camp Long, an even-more-important action to take to make sure people, pets, and coyotes stay apart is to reduce food sources – including pet food, bird feeders, unsecured trash. Here’s the official state info-sheet with more on all of the above advice, and then some.

1. That’s a wolf yo.

Comment by keith — 2:28 pm November 22, 2013 #

2. Now THAT would be breaking news.

Comment by WSB — 2:52 pm November 22, 2013 #

3. WOW that does look like a wolf!!!

Comment by payrollgirl — 4:46 pm November 22, 2013 #

4. I saw it this morning on SW Thistle about 2 blocks from Sealth High school

Comment by Jackie — 5:33 pm November 22, 2013 #

5. Explains the missing cat posters on every telephone pole in West Seattle – certainly a very well-fed coyote – or wolf. We have watched coyotes hunting in backyards, sniffing under back porches…

Comment by WS Family — 5:35 pm November 22, 2013 #

6. Wow that is a nice looking coyote. Not a wolf, snout is a bit pointy and the longer and thinner legs make it likely a coyote.
    Keep your cats and the snack sized dogs inside.

Comment by Eric1 — 6:14 pm November 22, 2013 #

7. Saw my first coyote today down by beach drive and Lowman beach this evening at about 4:00. It was kind of cool!!

Comment by Coyote spotter — 9:32 pm November 22, 2013 #

8. That is an aggressive stance. looks to have little to no fear.
    wish that ‘yote would come to my backyard – one less songdog to worry about and I’d have a sweet pelt.

Comment by 935 — 9:42 pm November 22, 2013 #

9. I didn’t think coywolves range came this far west, but it sure looks like one. Could explain why people are always commenting about how big and healthy they look. Coywolves are a hybrid between coyote and wolf – extensively documented as an urban species. You can read about them on the national geographic website.

Comment by Tony — 7:58 am November 23, 2013 #

10. For those who don’t like wildlife: move. Move to a center city with nothing but concrete. Please leave our happy nature cohabitation alone

Comment by Michelle — 6:29 pm November 23, 2013 #

11. My neighbors saw a coyote sunning himself in my yard this afternoon. Right next to the Eddy Street Ravine.

Comment by Brian — 6:47 pm November 23, 2013 #

12. I saw one on 48th Ave SW between Charlestown and Andover last night. He was coming right for my small dog who was in my front yard. It was dark, and at first I thought it was one of the neighborhood cats, but then I realized it was a coyote. I had to shoo him away. I’ve seen them near the golf course but never in my neighborhood before.

Comment by Rich — 12:37 am November 25, 2013 #

13. In the Fairmount ravine we hear excited yipping and howling every night, often so close it’s as if they’re in the yard. I’m pretty sure they’re taking down prey, and the other night it sounded like they got a dog. Any reports of coyotes killing a dog recently?

Comment by les — 1:53 am November 26, 2013 #

14. @Michelle. In fact, I was here first. Seriously. I was born in West Seattle and grew up playing in the greenbelts, and there were no coyotes. Why is my safety in my back yard less important than your happy nature cohabitation from your kitchen window?

Comment by Tony — 2:16 pm November 26, 2013 #

15. Had a coyote in my backyard this afternoon about 1/2 hour ago. 6300 block of 21st SW. As soon as he saw me, he galloped away. Keep your kitties and small dogs inside.

Comment by Judy — 4:03 pm November 27, 2013 #

16. 2013/12/7, 2:00pm, Bonaire Drive SW green belt.
    We saw a big coyote, larger than a German Shepard, a wolf?
    It was bold and approached the three of us (adults). We retreated to the car.

Comment by John — 4:08 pm December 7, 2013 #

17. Spotted a small coyote at 48th SW and SW Dawson around 7pm. It then came back around through the alley and headed west down SW Dawson St.

Comment by Paula — 9:37 pm December 9, 2013 #