Memorial Sunday for Mark Small: ‘West Seattle lost a legend’

November 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 6 Comments

In the center of that photo is Mark Small, a West Seattle High School graduate and former Major League Baseball player who died last week at age 45. The photo was shared by Jeff Jones, who’s at right in the photo (with Jim McCall at left, Joel Snow behind him). In e-mailing us about Mr. Small’s passing, Jeff said, “West Seattle lost a legend … Mark Small was a West Seattle grad in 1986 and went on to play in the big leagues for the Houston Astros. There are not words to describe how big a personality he was; everyone loved him. My heart goes out to his family and everyone lucky enough to have met him.” Mr. Small’s full obituary is published at SeattleTimes.com (WSB partner) and says that a celebration of his life is planned for 11 am this Sunday (November 3) at Alki Community Center, 5817 SW Stevens.

1. Gonna miss Markie Big Time! RIP pal

Comment by JJ — 2:38 pm November 1, 2013 #

2. Mark was a great guy. I’ll never forget all my childhood memories of him, especially because he was “the cool baseball player I knew”. He was one of the kindest and funniest guys I knew. It’s hard to believe he’s really gone. Lots of love to his family and friends.

Comment by Melissa — 3:20 pm November 1, 2013 #

3. Mark was one of my favorites among my son’s friends.
    He was hilarious, kind and would light up a room just by walking in. I loved having him around.

My heart breaks for everybody who loved him. He will be greatly missed by all.

He left us all with wonderful memories. RIP Mark.

Comment by kj — 9:34 pm November 1, 2013 #

4. Mark was the best athelete that I have ever had the opportunity to play with – we shared many great memories on Alki with Quincy Williams at the Alki Recreation Center. We are all so fortunate to have experienced Mark – unforgetable – our memories will live on forever.

Comment by JG — 11:39 pm November 1, 2013 #

5. I coach with mark. For 5 yrs. couldn’t been happier to always help any kid. My family will miss him

Comment by Don jackson — 6:40 pm November 3, 2013 #

6. Played with Mark at BCC and was lucky enough to meet up with him and watch him in the astrodome with the Astro’s. Great person and fun to be around. He will be missed.

Comment by BT — 10:11 am November 8, 2013 #