Reader reports: Burglary attempt; stolen bike; stroller seen

October 16, 2013 at 11:00 pm | In Crime, Seen around town, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

Three reader reports to share tonight – starting with this one from a West Seattleite who doesn’t want to be identified:

I’d like to let people know about an attempted break-in (last) night near 34th SW and SW Henderson (by the Southwest branch of the library). The miscreant(s) removed an outdoor light that illuminated the area, slashed the screen in a back door, and then apparently used a baseball bat or crowbar to break the kitchen window. No one got in the house but it’s very unsettling to hear glass breaking when you’re sound asleep. I think it’s good for people in the area to be aware of these incidents so they can stay alert.

Second – be on the lookout for a little kid’s bike, spraypainted gold, stolen from a Highland Park home where its 4-year-old owner is heartbroken. More details and a photo are in this WSB Forums post.

And thanks to the tipster who spotted and photographed this abandoned – stolen? lost? -stroller:

It was spotted by the end of the Rite-Aid drive-thru in Westwood Village this afternoon.

1. Was over there tonight and noticed the stroller. It was still there as of about 10:45 pm

Comment by Me — 1:34 am October 17, 2013 #

2. Dang,

An attempted break night time in in my neck of the woods. Sorry to hear about that neighbor. Since this was written at 11 last night (Wednesday), I’m assuming the attempted break in was Tuesday night?

Tuesday night, I awoke to hearing what I thought was someone at my bedroom window about 9 pm. Shortly after, my neighbor was knocking on the door, it startled me, because I was thinking it was one of those knock to see if anyone is home type things. My neighbor just came by to give me his contact info, but I wonder about the sound I heard at the window. I know it wasn’t my neighbor.

Comment by Eric — 4:14 am October 17, 2013 #

3. Didn’t someone have a stroller stolen recently?

Comment by Eric — 4:14 am October 17, 2013 #

4. I finally just registered after being moved to comment.

Burglary and theft are quite obviously deplorable things – but stealing a little gold bike from a little four-year-old person?! This leaves *me* heartbroken too, and questioning the rationale of the villain.

I would happily chip in to restore the little gold bike if it isn’t returned to its owner.

Comment by MisterSmartyPants — 7:49 am October 17, 2013 #

5. a few days ago I did see a little bike in Highland Park by the bathrooms – it was upside down and i didn’t see the color – but when we walk the dog next time i will look around the park to see if it is still there

Comment by christie — 10:45 am October 17, 2013 #

6. It was never covered on the WSB but our neighbors in the 8800 block of 36th were burgled a couple of weeks ago. The police were made aware of it but not here. They’re in the ‘hood!

Comment by onceachef — 11:14 am October 17, 2013 #

7. Thank you Christie!

Comment by cs in hp — 11:24 am October 17, 2013 #

8. Our neighbors across the street in the 8800 block of 32nd also had an attempted burglary about 2 weeks ago. Sounds almost identical to this one. Slashed screen, etc. They were scared off by another neighbor’s dog… scary business.

Comment by LH — 2:33 pm October 17, 2013 #

9. Weren’t those 13 year old kids slashing screens to get in when they got caught breaking into someone’s apartment at night?

Comment by Eric — 4:19 pm October 17, 2013 #

10. I take the bus downtown to work. This morning about 7am I noticed a spray painted gold bike at Pine & 5th or 6th locked onto the bike rack. I can’t remember exactly which bike rack it was on. I thought it was really strange to see a kids bike locked to the bike rack by itself at such an hour. I hope it turns up again.

Comment by Emily — 5:37 pm October 17, 2013 #

11. Thank you Emily- my husband just went downtown to check it out, and he found the one you saw- but it’s not ours! Thanks for posting though and paying attention!

Comment by cs in hp — 8:51 pm October 17, 2013 #

12. We did have a stroller similar to this stolen from our porch back in June. I went down there tonight to see if was still around, but it was gone.

Comment by Gibby — 11:38 pm October 18, 2013 #