What started as a house-fire call this afternoon – but was quickly downgraded – seemed so small when we went by, we weren’t even going to mention it – until our followup question to Seattle Fire spokesperson Kyle Moore brought news of a heroic teen:
At 1:38 p.m. a 911 call came into a firefighter/dispatcher reporting a dryer fire at a home located in the 5900 block of 26th Avenue SW in West Seattle. When Engine Company 11 arrived they found the exterior-dryer-vent fire was extinguished thanks to the quick work of a teenage occupant of the house. The teen used a fire extinguisher to knock down the flames on the outer wall of the 2-story house before crews arrived.
While the exterior flames had been extinguished, the fire worked its way into the wall. Firefighters were able to cut holes into the wall and knock down all of the flames and hot spots. The damage estimate is several thousand dollars. There were no injuries.
Moore says the vent fire started with lint – which brings an important reminder to check the one at your home; here are safety tips from the National Fire Prevention Association.
Sorry, comment time is over.
All contents copyright 2005-2015, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^