West Seattle restaurant followup: Fatburger for ex-bistro space

Two days after closing Bada Bistro at 61st/Alki, its now-former owners confirm that Fatburger plans to take over the space. Fatburger is a Los Angeles-based chain, founded more than 60 years ago, which made its first inroads into the Seattle metro area with outlets on the Eastside; so far as we can tell, this would be its first location inside the Seattle city limits. The Fatburger website’s “new locations” page mentions that Alki Beach is “opening August/September 2013.” Its closest current locations include Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond, and Federal Way. Fatburger’s arrival will make the 2700 block of Alki Avenue something of a hub of food/beverage chains – with Starbucks across the alley, and Subway soon to open in half of the three-years-empty space at 2758 Alki (as first reported here in May; a sign has just gone up this week). We’re hoping to reach the local franchisees for more information, and to find out if the plan includes the parent company’s wings sideline, as suggested by a liquor-license filing from earlier this year.

155 Replies to "West Seattle restaurant followup: Fatburger for ex-bistro space"

• comment-avatar
    wscommuter August 7, 2013 (12:15 pm)

Ahead of the inevitable complaining about another “chain” going in on Alki (and mostly, I’m with those folks …), just have to say …

Thank you God.

• comment-avatar
    BLB August 7, 2013 (12:17 pm)

Yay!!

• comment-avatar
    Curtis August 7, 2013 (12:19 pm)

Fatburger?! well, we know THEY won’t serve Merlot………….

Think this announcement calls for a visit to Pepperdock. I’m not normally a knee jerk anti-chain guy, but Fatburger seems a bit out of place in that spot. Will be interesting to see how the place does without parking – hard to imagine it working out. – What was wrong with the Alki Bakery again?

• comment-avatar
    Apey August 7, 2013 (12:24 pm)

This seems so out of place for Alki. West Seattle is slowly losing its quaintness :(

• comment-avatar
    smokeycretin9 August 7, 2013 (12:33 pm)

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!
    I used to live near Fatburger in West Hollywood. YES !!!!

• comment-avatar
    Lisa August 7, 2013 (12:36 pm)

Are Fatburger franchises owned by the operaters?

• comment-avatar
    MrElliott August 7, 2013 (12:38 pm)

Starbucks, Subway, and now Fatburger. Well, one local corporate food service brand out of three ain’t bad. Subway and Fatburger stores are actually franchises, no?

• comment-avatar
    Guy Olson August 7, 2013 (12:40 pm)

Yessss!!!!!!

• comment-avatar
    Alki Area August 7, 2013 (12:46 pm)

I’m surprised. But ok, I’ll give them their fair shot. If folks don’t like it, don’t eat their and IT will close too.

• comment-avatar
    wescatle August 7, 2013 (12:47 pm)

uh-oh……….a sign of the apocalypse….

• comment-avatar
    SrslySharon August 7, 2013 (12:52 pm)

Hellz YEA !

• comment-avatar
    a August 7, 2013 (12:56 pm)

Hell yes!!!!!!!!

• comment-avatar
    MindDrive August 7, 2013 (1:08 pm)

Overall that’s a good choice.  I will also partake.  There’s no good burger joints in a place that would do very well with one.  Three other individually owned establishments there have failed, so that business model is not working at all.  Yes we need to ensure W.S. is not overrun with chains, but I don’t see the sky falling on this one

• comment-avatar
    O August 7, 2013 (1:20 pm)

I like fatburger. It doesn’t feel so chain like and the food is decent.

• comment-avatar
    AE August 7, 2013 (1:28 pm)

Can I be morally outraged in theory and still go there for a burger?
    Never had one, but have questioned the choice of name. Don’t think I’d go there if I was watching my weight. I’ll enjoy it for its kitsch value.

• comment-avatar
    JG August 7, 2013 (1:30 pm)

I can live with that. I very rarely eat fast food but they make a pretty good product. Makes a lot of sense for that location.

• comment-avatar
    Brewmeister August 7, 2013 (1:36 pm)

Sounds Awesome. Might actually make it there. Summer crowds will likely pack this place.

• comment-avatar
    KBear August 7, 2013 (1:37 pm)

Can it be a 9-story Fatburger with no parking?

• comment-avatar
    Alex August 7, 2013 (1:39 pm)

Didn’t alki bakery originally leave because the rent was too high for them? It makes sense that nobody except a chain could afford it. There’s a reason you don’t see a lot of mom and pop restaurants at the mall.

• comment-avatar
    Jim Clark August 7, 2013 (1:42 pm)

I will stick with Zippy’s

• comment-avatar
    Amrakx August 7, 2013 (1:49 pm)

Yay another burger joint, how original!

• comment-avatar
    Dusky August 7, 2013 (1:51 pm)

Gross. Aren’t there enough greasy fast food options down there? Spuds, Pepperdock, Sunfish, just to name three in a two block span. I like all three I just don’t want another especially another chain restaurant.

• comment-avatar
    MJaros August 7, 2013 (1:53 pm)

There goes the neighborhood.

• comment-avatar
    Nick August 7, 2013 (1:54 pm)

I agree with Jim ill stick with Zippys as well for my burger needs

• comment-avatar
    East Coast Cynic August 7, 2013 (2:02 pm)

Had a Fatburger at the Bite of Seattle a bunch of years ago. Vaguely remembered that it tasted like a more flavorful Wendy’s burger and I like Wendy’s.

• comment-avatar
    Beach Drive Home August 7, 2013 (2:05 pm)

I get the ‘local’ choice, but to be HONEST Pepperdock is horrible. I LIKE the folks, and have eaten there many times (being the ONLY burger place on Alki) but to be honest they’re not in the league of something like Fatburger. And again, who cares, if you don’t like them, don’t eat there. I would have liked a local joint all things considered, but what is there? Dicks? They’re a drive in (and we KNOW folks on here don’t want MORE cars, so that’s out) and wouldn’t fit the space anyway.

• comment-avatar
    Diane August 7, 2013 (2:06 pm)

Shangri La has come to Alki. I’m never moving away…

• comment-avatar
    David Clark August 7, 2013 (2:11 pm)

I am going to miss Bada Bistro. The food and the staff absolutely rocked. They just never advertised enough and didn’t get discovered by enough people. This was simply the best food in West Seattle…

• comment-avatar
    CM August 7, 2013 (2:12 pm)

Why not another California Burger Icon–In n Out Burgers?

• comment-avatar
    Colleen August 7, 2013 (2:12 pm)

As far as I believe, they are franchises.

I am totally excited for this – I have always enjoyed their burgers (yea fried eggs) and perfer them over Zippys (I know, its illegal to admit that.)

• comment-avatar
    Gene August 7, 2013 (2:13 pm)

FATBURGER is exactly what WS/Alki needs– so welcome !!
    Doesn’t mean we won’t go to Pepperdocks or Zippys– live them too!

• comment-avatar
    trickycoolj August 7, 2013 (2:14 pm)

I’ve never heard of Fatburger. Is this comparable to something like Five Guys or like Cheeseburger in Paradise(which would be more fitting for the beach location) or Red Robin?

• comment-avatar
    donbishop August 7, 2013 (2:15 pm)

2 in the morning got a fat burger I have to say today was a good a day.

• comment-avatar
    Randall August 7, 2013 (2:16 pm)

File under: the popularity of overcooked ground beef never fails to amaze.

Though, I do like Zippy’s, so I am an hypocrite.

• comment-avatar
    Soren Norrgard August 7, 2013 (2:20 pm)

The best burger in West Seattle is at Ma’Ono. Heck, the best burger in SEATTLE is at Ma’Ono. Go up the hill and be happy.

(No I don’t work at Ma’Ono)

• comment-avatar
    Alkiguy August 7, 2013 (2:22 pm)

Of course a Red Mill would have been the perfect local place.

• comment-avatar
    pigeonmom August 7, 2013 (2:24 pm)

Meh. Five Guys or In-n-Out would make me excited.

• comment-avatar
    Amy August 7, 2013 (2:27 pm)

Yum, loved going there when I lived in California. It will do great in that location.

• comment-avatar
    G August 7, 2013 (2:29 pm)

Waiting for an In-n-Out. But Fatburger is better than nothing.

• comment-avatar
    DRW August 7, 2013 (2:29 pm)

Balance restored. One French restaurant goes in and one burger joint goes in. Happy me with all kinds of options within walking distance.

• comment-avatar
    Cami August 7, 2013 (2:30 pm)

This will be the first fast food chain on Alki since TACO TIME (if they open before Subway). I’m sure it will be a huge success.

• comment-avatar
    G August 7, 2013 (2:31 pm)

I almost live at In-in-Out in North Hollywood when I’m down there.

• comment-avatar
    chris August 7, 2013 (2:34 pm)

Actually Red Mill or Dicks would have been better but .. not a bad choice and probably a lot cheaper than Ma’Ono

• comment-avatar
    fred August 7, 2013 (2:34 pm)

Fatburger seems right for the space. Used to hit Fatburger in Redondo and Torrance in South Bay LA. Not your average chain, fo’ sho’.

• comment-avatar
    Barb on Alki August 7, 2013 (2:34 pm)

The parking thing is just silly. There are thousands of people on Alki Beach everyday in the summer and there are no big parking lots so it seems that many people find a way to get here. Some walk, ride their bikes, take the water taxi, take a bus and some drive and magically find parking (sometimes they even park in front of my house and then I have to park a few houses away. Oh the horror!)

• comment-avatar
    CanDo August 7, 2013 (2:34 pm)

HEY, I like Pepperdocks and they ARE NOT horrible! I’d much rather have a crunchy Pepperdock’s burger and bun than a fat greasy, slimy burger. Just sayin…

• comment-avatar
    hj August 7, 2013 (2:36 pm)

For those who are going to “stick with Zippy’s”: that’s great, but Zippy’s is decidedly not on Alki and is indeed a seven-mile drive away. Location, location, location; people who are actually on the beach are not going to give up their parking spot and cruise down to WC for quick lunch.

• comment-avatar
    Linda August 7, 2013 (2:41 pm)

Heart attack food on Alki…yea sounds like a perfect fit…

• comment-avatar
    Betsy Bertiaux August 7, 2013 (2:41 pm)

Would have much rather seen Burgerville there – local to PNW. I think the farthest north they go is Chehalis.

• comment-avatar
    Cait August 7, 2013 (2:48 pm)

Donbishop – HIGH FIVE.

• comment-avatar
    Twobottles August 7, 2013 (3:14 pm)

I’ll give it a try (in the winter, after the tourists). Some will like it, some will hate it, some won’t care and of course some will decry the death of “real West Seattle”. My feeling is let the market decide if it is “right” for West Seattle.

• comment-avatar
    good day in ws August 7, 2013 (3:19 pm)

They’re the best. Finally, a great, decent priced burger place in West Seattle. Their ground beef mixture is perfect for hamburgers. Take note all who use excessively lean, gristly, or frozen patties. It will be interesting to see how well they compete in W.S. My guess is, very well!

• comment-avatar
    reflectingonseattle August 7, 2013 (3:32 pm)

Welcome to the neighborhood and good luck!

• comment-avatar
    MB August 7, 2013 (3:32 pm)

@donbishop…yes! Now I must go listen to that song, thank you! Perfect day for it :)

@Soren Norrgard, if that’s your actual name, you rock. My brother is also a Soren! You are few and far between.

In regards to Fatburger…meh. Never eaten there, so I don’t have much of an opinion on the place itself just yet. I will just be happy to see a (hopefully) stable business in that space. Doesn’t do anyone any good to have it be a revolving door every few years.

• comment-avatar
    Papa J August 7, 2013 (3:43 pm)

The Brits exported fish & chips to Alki, and now London fatbergs?! What ARE they up to?
    I hope I’m misreading something here. (Ref: today’s ST article)

• comment-avatar
    Jack August 7, 2013 (3:57 pm)

Oh hell yeah. It’s a chain, but similar to Five Guys. Thumbs up.

• comment-avatar
    AlkiGrl August 7, 2013 (3:59 pm)

Ugh. SUBWAY and a burger chain? I live here and won’t be caught inside either.

• comment-avatar
    panda August 7, 2013 (4:04 pm)

I like to support the local Pepperdock… but really the burgers are awful. I’ll still go for the ice cream. See you soon Fatburger!!!

• comment-avatar
    a August 7, 2013 (4:14 pm)

What does Peter Steinbrueck think of a Fatburger at this location? Oh wait, it doesn’t matter what he thinks cuz no one cares! Can’t wait to come back to the west after a Sonics or NHL game and go have a greasy fat a$$ burger! Today was a good day! It’s ironic, I had the booze she had the chronic, Steinbrueck couldn’t beat the Supersonics!

• comment-avatar
    a August 7, 2013 (4:16 pm)

Alkigirl- maybe you should move to Portland? Or Ballard?

• comment-avatar
    Mike August 7, 2013 (4:17 pm)

You always want an independent business like Bada Bistro in a community like West Seattle and Alki in particular. The problem has always been getting a business that has the deep pockets to afford to survive the lean seasons, the ability to capitalize on a positive opening, and the type of food that people will want to go back to consistently. I don’t think Bada Bistro had any of those qualifications, particularly on the prices they were charging for the dishes they offered. I always thought they were a little on the expensive side. There was no question about the quality, but it doesn’t mean we can afford it consistenly. I wish the owners nothing but the best.

• comment-avatar
    Steve f August 7, 2013 (4:19 pm)

Glad for Fatburger. No to Dick’s. Deluxe is okay but the fries need arms to swim in their grease

• comment-avatar
    Joe Szilagyi August 7, 2013 (4:20 pm)

I would rather have a Dick’s down there, but hey–it’s a good burger.

• comment-avatar
    Mr Teach August 7, 2013 (4:23 pm)

Mmmmm …. Fatburger or Marination Ma Kai…my complaint is that me decision-making for tasty treats on Alki has just gotten more complicated. Do what I do, park up by the bridge and walk, run, skate, or board on down. It solves the parking and the calorie concerns! Welcome to our hood!

• comment-avatar
    DTK August 7, 2013 (4:35 pm)

I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

• comment-avatar
    boy August 7, 2013 (4:50 pm)

Anything is better then sogi under cook fish and fries from spuds. Oh an yes spuds is a chain.

• comment-avatar
    DF August 7, 2013 (4:54 pm)

Gotta say, I like Fatburger. Not at all like most QSR chains. That corner is a non-intuitive location for a sit-down burger joint, but at least it adds something new to the Alki options.

I predict it will do well during the winter when we’re craving warmth and comfort.

• comment-avatar
    smokeycretin9 August 7, 2013 (5:16 pm)

Welcome to our new burger overlords. what be thy bidding master?

• comment-avatar
    West Seattle Hipster August 7, 2013 (5:24 pm)

Awesome, I have gone to the Fatburgers in Vegas, Bellevue, and Federal Way and never had a bad experience.

“Will they have any gluten free offerings?”

• comment-avatar
    Jeff August 7, 2013 (5:35 pm)

Awesome, and unlike Dick’s it tastes good even if you aren’t high as a kite at 1am.

• comment-avatar
    Mongo August 7, 2013 (5:55 pm)

… at least we’ll still have Phoenecia and Celtic Swell as options on Alki for restaurants that have good food and interesting character …

• comment-avatar
    pupsarebest August 7, 2013 (6:22 pm)

One of the worst things to ever befall the world is corn-fed beef.
    Terrible for the environment, terrible for our health, terrible for the cattle who deserve better than the hellish lives they live from start to finish.
    Anyone wanna go grab a burger?

• comment-avatar
    SWS August 7, 2013 (6:39 pm)

Never been to a Fatburger. Can anyone tell me if you can have it your way – that is, choices of removing condiments on their standard burger. That’s why I don’t like In-n-Out or Dick’s because they won’t customize. How about Zippy’s – do they allow you to exclude “secret sauce,” etc.?

Ok, yes I’m picky. I’d give Fatburger a try if they fit my criteria.

• comment-avatar
    NotMe August 7, 2013 (6:50 pm)

Yes, SWS… you can. They have a really good chicken or turkey burger, too.
    I love the Merlot comments. I laugh every time I see that. What restaurant was it that said they would never carry a Merlot? Are they still around?

• comment-avatar
    JoB August 7, 2013 (6:51 pm)

the summer crowd will be ecstatic

• comment-avatar
    Smitty August 7, 2013 (7:01 pm)

“Anyone wanna go grab a burger?”

Me, me!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow though. Still full from that filet mignon I finished about 30 minutes ago…..

• comment-avatar
    Beach Dr Home August 7, 2013 (7:13 pm)

Ha, maybe overlord McGinn will weigh in and tell us whether or not he’ll allow us to have this restaurant. Are they union? Is their beef organic free range and hormone free? Do their employees get meditation breaks? LOL Some days it’s like we’re living the parody of Portlandia. It’s JUST a burger joint! Relax! We have dozens (McD’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, Red Robin, Dicks, Burger Master, etc, etc, etc). It may succeed (like Dukes or Catcus) or may flop. We’ll see. As long as it meets the zoning laws, the owner of the building can rent to anyone they want. If it greatly offends the local community, it will fail.

• comment-avatar
    Twobottles August 7, 2013 (7:22 pm)

Celtic Swell? I used to love that place, but went again a couple of months ago and it was horrible! Menu is maybe one quarter the size it used to be, with most of my favorites gone. No sliders, no fries, baker or mashed potatoes with a variety of toppings (curry, pork and beans, etc) and just one or two token Irish dishes… Never again.

• comment-avatar
    a August 7, 2013 (7:27 pm)

pupsarebest- yes I would love to grab a burger! Thank God for corn fed beef! yum yum!!!

• comment-avatar
    Chris W August 7, 2013 (7:35 pm)

The Merlot joke lives!!

• comment-avatar
    B August 7, 2013 (7:45 pm)

Their turkey burger is REALLY good!

• comment-avatar
    Margaret in Vashon August 7, 2013 (8:07 pm)

Yes, they are a franchise. Yes, they prepare burgers to your specifications. Yes, they have a “gluten-free bun” option — however, as with any fast food place, I’d be leery of cross-contamination with all of the activity going on in that kitchen on shared grills, condiment spreaders, etc. Oh, and most of them serve beer and wine. Haven’t seen this number of comments so quickly in a while. I think West Seattle is craving a greasy burger.

• comment-avatar
    Last53BusRider August 7, 2013 (8:10 pm)

My giddy aunt! This is by far the funniest news I have read all year! I am a vegetarian and couldn’t give a diddly-squat about burgers. But the name Fatburger is just too exquisite to not have on Alki – and I can’t wait to see if it becomes a lure for bus drivers to pick route 50.
    “God is in His Heaven, and all is well with the Universe!”

• comment-avatar
    Zoltan August 7, 2013 (8:22 pm)

+ 1 for In n Out as they are one of my favorites.

But even better would be Shake Shack!! Now that is a great burger. If they can put one in Dubai they could put one in WS. I may need to lobby Danny Meyer.

Fat Burger? meh…

• comment-avatar
    evergreen August 7, 2013 (8:30 pm)

I used to love Fatburger, can’t wait to see if they are just as big and delicious as remembered!

• comment-avatar
    AlkiGrl August 7, 2013 (9:03 pm)

@A – wow, that was original.

• comment-avatar
    zipline August 7, 2013 (9:04 pm)

I look forward to eating at Fatburger. I hope they can open in August.

• comment-avatar
    Gosh August 7, 2013 (9:19 pm)

Another attraction for teens & south-KC folks to drive to alki…

• comment-avatar
    Marcus M August 7, 2013 (9:24 pm)

Hopefully everyone will avoid Subway. ugh. what a gross sandwidch

• comment-avatar
    Mr Teach August 7, 2013 (9:53 pm)

No Subway and no corn-fed beef…dang, I usually have enough to worry about w/o worrying that someone I do not even know is worrying about what I may or may not eat.

• comment-avatar
    CMT August 7, 2013 (9:53 pm)

@twobottles – I totally agree! Very disappointed in the changes to Celtic Swell!

• comment-avatar
    SLC August 7, 2013 (10:03 pm)

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A decent burger place in WS. Zippy’s doesn’t count…it’s a great place for a burger but ya don’t always want to drive to White Center! Hooray!

• comment-avatar
    SLC August 7, 2013 (10:04 pm)

+1 @Beach Dr Home!

• comment-avatar
    Andrea August 7, 2013 (10:33 pm)

Donbishop!!! Yes!!!

• comment-avatar
    justme August 7, 2013 (11:06 pm)

Gross and fattening. No thanks!

• comment-avatar
    E August 7, 2013 (11:16 pm)

Ugh. Wish it was a quality burger place – like Uneeda, Little Woody’s or Blue Moon. Weird how excited people are for low-quality processed “food”.

• comment-avatar
    Athena August 7, 2013 (11:35 pm)

Elliot Bay has the best burger & beer
    Not a fan of the big chains… But I have 2 growing boys who love Alki, so we will give it a shot!

• comment-avatar
    monosyllabic girl August 8, 2013 (12:45 am)

• comment-avatar
    T August 8, 2013 (2:27 am)

I miss Alki Bakery :(

• comment-avatar
    Ray West August 8, 2013 (5:34 am)

First Subway and now Fatburger? West Seattle people must have done something really bad in a past life to deserve this. I think Subway just sucks and Fatburger just sounds like a glorified McDonalds. Alki is such a special place, and I hate seeing franchises taking a bigger foothold here.

• comment-avatar
    smokeycretin9 August 8, 2013 (5:40 am)

the Beastie Boys mention it in “The New Style”: “I chill at White Castle ’cause it’s the best / But I’m fly at Fatburger when I’m way out west.”

• comment-avatar
    smokeycretin9 August 8, 2013 (5:44 am)

oh..for all you complainers… Fatburger only serves 100% LEAN, GRAIN FED BEEF and they do have veggie burgers too.

This aint some Wendy’s, Jack in The Box crap, they really do a nice burger.

• comment-avatar
    E August 8, 2013 (7:13 am)

Smokycretin – factory farmed grain fed beef isn’t a good thing. Quality wise – not much different from Wendy’s.

• comment-avatar
    GW August 8, 2013 (7:46 am)

@smokeycretin9 – Gran Fed Beef is evil poison. Cows didn’t evolve 4-chambered stomachs to eat grain.

• comment-avatar
    Ex-Westwood Resident August 8, 2013 (7:49 am)

Ray and E,

You guys OBVISOULY have not eaten at a FatBurger. It is 1,000,000 times better that your standard McD/JitB/BK/Wendy’s. It is better than Red Robin, which makes some great burgers, but nowhere near as expensive.
    There is one in Issaquah which I stop at everytime I head east over the pass and coming back.
    Personally I think their burgers are a bit better than Zippy’s with MORE options and better fries.

• comment-avatar
    Last53BusRider August 8, 2013 (7:52 am)

Ray West is possibly onto something. In so many comment streams on WSB, one senses an overriding angst about a deliberate intent to destroy the quality of life in West Seattle – via mega-developments, transit cuts, invasion of big-box and big-chain stores etc. – with the villains being everyone from SDOT engineers and Metro planners up to the CEOs of greedy corporate giants. (There is also a manic obsession with Ballard….)
    Personally, I think it’s a big, long-running cosmic joke that has been playing out here for decades to an extremely amused audience somewhere out there in the universe…

• comment-avatar
    Gene August 8, 2013 (8:04 am)

This is a fairly good sized place-so one can eat in-or take out. Taking out to the beach will be nice. There are lots of places in WS to get a great burger-all mentioned here already -but not what I would categorize as “fast food” options-though most would let you order to go.
    Dicks-chose somewhere else to open it’s newest place(despite a perfect spot at the old Charlestown)-In-n-Out-(my personal favorite) won’t be coming here anytime soon I think. Five Guys-Red Mill-both great places as well-but maybe just weren’t interested. Fatburger will be a welcome relief from Jack in the Box & McDonalds-also a good addition to Alki-year round & pretty much for all day(a problem I think Bada Bing had).
    With Subway moving in-there will be more choices. More choice is a good thing.

• comment-avatar
    Amy August 8, 2013 (8:09 am)

@donbishop – Awesome. Now I have to go listen to it!

• comment-avatar
    irishgrassfedcow August 8, 2013 (8:09 am)

Wow as a grass fed cow it is wonderful to see people think that the inferior cornfed cows taste better. That allows me to live a long life.

Ps: where can this cow find good “chips” as in fish and chips? And fries posing as chips do not count.

• comment-avatar
    G August 8, 2013 (8:15 am)

Irish bars in West Seattle are expensive, cheesy imitations of the real thing. $7 for a Guiness that is poured like a cheap Hammn’s? Nope.

• comment-avatar
    Jordan August 8, 2013 (8:18 am)

Fat Burger should do really well at Alki. I used to go to the Redmond store years ago and was never disappointed in the burger. Yeah I like Zippy’s (I think a better burger) and I enjoy Luna Park’s burgers too, but neither is on Alki. I don’t think it will beat out Ma Kai for my dollars, but it should be a good addition to the neighborhood.
    I’m still trying to hit Ma Kai sometime when there isn’t a line out the door. Hit the place at 8:00p on Tuesday night thinking that it might be slower, nope, line out the door even then. Their Kalbi beef tacos are amazing.
    So we each get to vote with our dollars. Make your vote count for what you want or don’t complain.

• comment-avatar
    Last53BusRider August 8, 2013 (8:19 am)

I forgot to mention our politicians – small and big. They are not in on the joke, but they are highly suggestible and have been instrumental in keeping the show running!

• comment-avatar
    namo August 8, 2013 (8:39 am)

Not a fan of a “chain” greasy burger coming…but PLEASE PLEASE will the people who live on top PAINT the outside of your building!!!!!!!I can’t stand that ugly faded peachy color!!!! It would look so much better if they painted it a neutral!! Somebody please help.

• comment-avatar
    Bonnie August 8, 2013 (10:10 am)

If we’re going to have a chain of burger places why not Kidd Valley? I like that place much better.

• comment-avatar
    modern city dweller August 8, 2013 (10:23 am)

bring back Alki Bakery

• comment-avatar
    jg August 8, 2013 (10:43 am)

G not sure where you get your Guiness but the Swell does a perfectly proper pour with theirs.

• comment-avatar
    Carol O. August 8, 2013 (11:59 am)

Namo, those are renters not the owners.

• comment-avatar
    Sam August 8, 2013 (1:09 pm)

Alki land owners are selling out once again. More fast food? Really? So gross.

• comment-avatar
    G August 8, 2013 (1:14 pm)

ig, it was Terrible Beauty. Maybe I’ll try Swell again, a little pricey as I remember.

• comment-avatar
    Gene August 8, 2013 (1:16 pm)

May be mistaken here-but seem to recall part or maybe all of the reason Alki Bakery left was that an agreement could not be reached on rent with property owners. There’s no “bringing back” something if the business can’t afford the rent.
    I for sure don’t know how the rental market availability works–seems like if a prime location like this was for rent-interested parties would find out about it-whoever has the money for the rent-gets the space.

• comment-avatar
    Carol O. August 8, 2013 (1:48 pm)

That’s why you get big chains in prime areas that take away the character of a community, all for money. Disgusting.

• comment-avatar
    West Seattle since 1979 August 8, 2013 (1:59 pm)

Whatever we would have got in that space, chain or local, fast food or slow, whatever kind of food, I’m sure some of us would have complained about it! :)

• comment-avatar
    Gene August 8, 2013 (2:18 pm)

Right you are WS since 1979- no way to please everyone! I say welcome & good luck to FATBURGER !
    Carol O – I have no problem with a property owner getting whatever they think they can for rent. If no one can pay- they’ll lower the price- or- if the owner can afford to let it sit empty they will.
    What IS the ” character” of that space anyway?? It’s had several identities over the years. Who’s to say FATBURGER won’t be a an enhancement for Alki?

• comment-avatar
    Margaret in Vashon August 8, 2013 (2:53 pm)

hahahahahaha. my giddy aunt, indeed. keep it up, ws. loving the summer.

• comment-avatar
    datamuse August 8, 2013 (3:01 pm)

Wow. This story has almost as many comments as the now-infamous “we don’t serve merlot” post announcing Bada’s opening! People really care about restaurants on Alki I guess!

• comment-avatar
    Guy August 8, 2013 (3:31 pm)

When is The Homestead going to be turned into a Holiday Inn?

• comment-avatar
    Carol O, August 8, 2013 (4:06 pm)

I was thinking of the Alki area, with a bunch of chains it just looks like any city area with no charm like some beach communities have.

• comment-avatar
    detslim August 8, 2013 (4:23 pm)

“twobottles, JoB and gosh nailed it. This place will be bank for the Tukwila teenage “tourists” during the summer. And I’ll be gosh darned, I might even swing by on a January afternoon. The burgers are decent.
    Comment by monosyllabic girl”

Just because Alki Beach is in WS doesn’t mean it only belongs to WS it’s in Washington it belongs to everyone in WA. doesn’t matter what City we live in we all love the beach, people and all!
    And this topic “food” gets people all worked up just like the coyote topic does!!!
    :>)

• comment-avatar
    Twobottles August 8, 2013 (4:27 pm)

“All for money…” Uhm, isn’t that why people start businesses? I doubt any new business owner thinks “I just want to enhance the neighborhood, who cares if I lose money in the process”.

• comment-avatar
    george August 8, 2013 (4:43 pm)

Only sad that it wasn’t RR so that I could enjoy a cold adult beverage with my burger. But FB’s fly when I’m way out west.

• comment-avatar
    Bigbadcat August 8, 2013 (5:32 pm)

Gigantic apartment buildings and disappearing neighborhoods, now Alki is being over run by corporate cookie- cutter chains. I have seen this happen before in a couple of cities I’ve lived in, and it kills the personality of a neighborhood. Oh well, who doesn’t like a strip mall with a water view? What a waste. I for one am very sad about what is happening in West Seattle.

• comment-avatar
    rcl August 8, 2013 (5:35 pm)

FORKS OVER KNIVES

• comment-avatar
    Gene August 9, 2013 (8:10 am)

Once again- why do some think this will “kill” the personality of the Alki neighborhood? this is a far cry from a “strip mall with a water view”!!! And why the lamenting with no alternative solutions? I guess I don’t really consider FATBURGER as a”corporate cookie cutter chain”- but that’s just me. What would you have there– & why aren’t they there? Maybe there was no “local” interest- or if there was- perhaps they couldn’t afford the rent. This is a PRIME location folks- the owners have every right to ask for whatever they want in rent.
    Finally–as much as many of us would like to keep WS – especially Alki to ourselves- I reiterate what detslim said.

• comment-avatar
    Commuter August 9, 2013 (10:35 am)

This comment thread would make a great Portlandia episode.

• comment-avatar
    Bigbadcat August 9, 2013 (11:28 am)

@Gene – watch and learn Gene. The personality of the neighborhood will change, heck, next we’ll have McDonalds – you know, since it is up to the land owners maybe Spuds would sell to McDonalds, then we could have a drive through too! can never have enough traffic! no, wait, now we will wade through the fast food (Fat food?) wrappers on the beach. yeah Gene, this Fatburger is JUST the thing! lets all build condos!

It is funny, but it seems that this argument is falling neatly between those who live in the neighborhood and those who don’t, and further those who are long time residents and the new development folks, take that for what it’s worth (watch the sparks fly now!)

• comment-avatar
    Diane August 9, 2013 (12:24 pm)

seriously??? 137 comments about Fatburger?

• comment-avatar
    Commuter August 9, 2013 (12:27 pm)

But even we who live in the neighborhood do not have any right to prevent the owners of these commercial properties from making a profit. I don’t want to see a long line of strip mall-esque chains either, but we aren’t entitled to demand that property owners operate at a loss or even reduce their profitability just so we can enjoy a more “local flavor.” It takes a lot of local dollars to maintain local character.

• comment-avatar
    Bigbadcat August 9, 2013 (2:13 pm)

@ Commuter – Sorry, I was just lamenting the change as I have seen this same thing before and fear this will end the same way. I am not sure anyone is saying that we should “prevent owners” from doing anything, or for that matter that anyone is “entitled to demand that local owners operate at a loss” – I am sorry, but no one, especially me, is advocating that. Not sure what you were responding to.

Look at the owners of the large apartment developments, where are they from? Not West Seattle. Once the chains start on Alki, it won’t stop. It is SAD, that is all I am saying. What was once interesting and unique will become just like everywhere else. If you think it is a good thing, well you have literally thousands of suburbs across this country full of folks just like you. I for one hope that the quiet winter days freezes Fat out of Alki!

• comment-avatar
      WSB August 9, 2013 (2:28 pm)

Just one thing to note related to “the owners of the large apartment developments (are not from) West Seattle.” No, but in more than a few cases, the land owners who sold to them ARE (or were) from West Seattle. Or, in the case of chain businesses, the property owners renting to them are from West Seattle. I am not defending developments or chains; the latter, for one, are bad for our own business, since most chains don’t do local advertising – their parent corporations buy national TV, or billboards, or bus boards, and your community news outlets are completely ignored (so, thank you yet again to the independent local businesses who DO advertise in the community – it’s an ecosystem!) … BUT just noting that it is not a case of out of town companies swooping in and stealing land.
      And yet, this is not to say the owners (whether from West Seattle or wherever) are “greedy” … it’s a really complex issue. Take a look at our story about the sale of Barnecut’s service station, for example – the county was charging property taxes as if there was a multi-story development on the site – the owners challenged that, and lost. Twice. They were paying a huge amount of property tax, and finally just gave up and sold.
      Meantime, at one of the Design Review meetings for one of the current Junction developments, someone from the West Seattle Eagles pointed out that eventually the pressure to sell their Junction site will be too much to resist, because THEY are being taxed on a seven-digit property valuation, even though all they have on the site now is their humble, aged building. – TR

• comment-avatar
    West Seattle since 1979 August 9, 2013 (2:18 pm)

You know what? If people don’t eat at the Subway or the Fatburger, they’ll close. They won’t stay in a place where they can’t make a profit.

And Bigbadcat, that’s stretching it to say there might be a McDonald’s next. Also patrons of mom-and-pop places litter too, unfortunately. And what the heck does this have to do with new development?

• comment-avatar
    McFail August 9, 2013 (3:59 pm)

@Bigbadcat – Spud has 3 locations, Pegasus has 2 locations, Cactus has 4 Locations, Dukes has 6 locations … Curious, where do you stand with these establishments?

• comment-avatar
    Curtis August 9, 2013 (5:27 pm)

mcfail – I usually stand in line!

still wish it was a Redmill, Kidd Valley or Zippy’s II, but I’m sure I’ll get fat on Fatburger

And you know that the “from here” factor is the reason folks like those other places.

• comment-avatar
    rcl August 9, 2013 (6:04 pm)

Dicks on Alki!

• comment-avatar
    WMF August 9, 2013 (8:55 pm)

Bring back the drug store, IMO. Nothing good has been there since :p

• comment-avatar
    Carol O. August 9, 2013 (10:32 pm)

Yeah your right rci, “dicks on Alki’.

• comment-avatar
    Anita August 10, 2013 (7:43 am)

The same Fatburger that will be limiting its employees to 30 hours so they don’t have to comply with the Affordable Care Act? Where’s McGinn?

• comment-avatar
    Alkira August 10, 2013 (12:17 pm)

Ugh. Disappointed. What the world needs now is … not Fatburger.

• comment-avatar
    West Seattle Hipster August 10, 2013 (4:15 pm)

For a community and city that pretends to be tolerant of others and celebrates “diversity”, we sure have a lot of hate for restaurants we don’t patronize.

Respect other peoples tastes.

• comment-avatar
    Bigbadcat August 11, 2013 (3:33 pm)

It’s not about hatred towards restaurants, just the fact that this will likely be the start of Alki becoming just like everywhere else. @ McFail, um, I would think that locally owned (read Seattle) small chains would be preferable to national chains. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the original location for Spuds, so why would I have issue with that? You aren’t paying attention.
    Oh, as for McDonalds being a stretch (@west Seattle since 1979) why exactly? The land owners would make nice money, and why the heck not!? I mean, Fat burger, Wendy’s, what’s the diff? Alki Auto pays a lot of property tax, they could have a McDonalds with a drive thru! Yeah!
    I still stand with my first comment. This is a shame. I live in Alki, so pardon me if the opinions of those who don’t hold a lot less merit in this discussion.

• comment-avatar
    McFail August 13, 2013 (10:31 pm)

I am paying attention, no one doesn’t pity you… Alki won’t change, it will still and always be – a “tourist” spot. You talk like Alki is a gated community or its own city. You live in Seattle, an urban metropolis – maybe you need to pay attention…

• comment-avatar
    McFail August 13, 2013 (11:20 pm)

I meant to say no one has pity for you.

• comment-avatar
    Finally August 24, 2013 (10:23 am)

Finally we get something to make our boardwalk a little better. Too bad it’s not an In and Out or Dicks but I’ll take it. Ruin Alki? Give me a break. Pepperdocks sucks and is expensive. It’s about time that we get something like that. Doesn’t mean I will never got to Slices or Spuds but it just makes the selection better.

• comment-avatar
    Kona August 26, 2013 (7:47 pm)

Yawn,,, Boring! We need another Alki tavern. Not a burger place. Pepperdock is plenty, and Good.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann