Tire-d of beach blight? Check this West Seattle cleanup scene

August 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm | In Environment, West Seattle beaches, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

Several groups have taken West Seattle beaches under their wing lately and organized cleanups – but none quite like this one. In late July, an Eastside company called Tirebuyer.com announced volunteers from its staff planned to come clean up West Seattle beach spots marred by washed-up tires, apparently on the suggestion of a company employee who lives here. It sounded almost too publicity-perfect to be true – but they’re now sharing pictorial proof, including the photo above (note the edge of the overlook at Luna/Anchor Park) that we’re republishing with permission. Their tire-removal tale is here, and they’re planning to try it again soon; if you know of a beached tire that needs removal for recycling, e-mail them at beachtireremoval@tirebuyer.com.

1. Fantastic!….I don’t care if it is for publicity, any garbage off our beaches is fantastic!
    Thank you for spending your free time doing such a wonderful act.

Comment by cowpie — 2:08 pm August 14, 2013 #

2. I see what you did there.

Comment by x — 3:13 pm August 14, 2013 #

3. Thank you for your service to our Puget Sound I went to a transfer station last week and paid $30 dollars to dump some nonrecycable debris and brought with me a tire which the city wants an additional $16 if I recall correctly ,I passed. I wonder if our new local Les Swabb accepts tires free or for paymnet of some sort?

Comment by NW — 6:01 pm August 14, 2013 #

4. Anything that helps to clean up our beaches — and thus the Puget Sound — is worth doing. Thank you!

Comment by k. — 7:03 pm August 14, 2013 #

5. There is a HUGE UGLY TIRE out off the stairway near Emma Schmitz memorial overlook. My dive buddies and I will help get it closer to the stairway on the next king tide if we can figure out a way to get rid of it!!

Comment by DiverLaura — 11:16 pm August 14, 2013 #

6. Thanks Diver Laura! This is Susan, I’m part of the group from TireBuyer.com. I think the tire you’re talking about may be on our list — is that just north of Me-Kwa-Mooks? If so we will try to get it next week.

NW – We took the tires to CDL Recycling near Boeing Field. They charge $10 each. If you take tires to a transfer station I’m not sure they recycle them.

Comment by Susan — 8:01 am August 15, 2013 #

7. Well done Tirebuyer.com!

East side company cleaning up a West Seattle beach!

Now that’s an example of fine public service! If they keep this up, they should get special recognition from the Mayor or City Council.

Comment by rd — 11:04 pm August 15, 2013 #