Junction crash victim identified: Larry Keller, 1950-2013

August 1, 2013 at 12:33 pm | In Obituaries, West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 15 Comments

That’s Larry Keller, the 62-year-old man killed in The Junction last Friday morning when his motorcycle collided with an SUV. Police have not yet released findings in the investigation. But Mr. Keller’s family wanted to thank the community for its condolences, and to “reach out to the driver of the SUV and let him know that we are grieving for him as well as my brother.” That driver was not seriously hurt. Meantime, near the California/Oregon crash site, there is a simple tribute to Mr. Keller:

His sister Lori told us about her brother: Lawrence John Keller was born September 8th, 1950, and grew up in West Seattle, graduating from WSHS. He was a real “people person,” Lori says, known for his loud, contagious laugh. He was a motorcycle and muscle-car enthusiast – the motorcycle he’s on in the photo above is not the one he was riding at the time of Friday’s crash; it was one of several that he owned, including vintage models. He worked in construction and general labor for most of his life. He is survived by sister Lorene Sutherland of Kent and nieces Misty E. Roberts of Issaquah and Camille E. Sutherland of Kent. Memorial plans are not yet finalized.

1. I knew Larry. He died doing what he enjoyed the most, RIP buddy! A friend of his and I are putting together a party in his honor in the next week or so.

Comment by Guy — 12:46 pm August 1, 2013 #

2. Condolences to Larry’s family and other loved ones….

Mike

Comment by miws — 12:51 pm August 1, 2013 #

3. If investigators haven’t determined which driver ran the light, you might want to rewrite your opening line. It sugggests Mr. Keller ran the light. However, if you say the motorcycle and SUV collided, then there is no suggestion as to who crossed the intersection first.

Comment by MJaros — 3:55 pm August 1, 2013 #

4. Our condolences to Larry’s family, friends and fellow riders.
    E

Comment by Elizagrace — 3:56 pm August 1, 2013 #

5. Condolences to Larry’s family. The message to the other driver was very kind.

Comment by EmmyJane — 4:49 pm August 1, 2013 #

6. Thank you everyone for the kind words for my family. To all others who knew him, my condolences go out to you. As many have said, Larry passed away doing what he loved most, and is now riding with the Angels. Rest in peace <3

Comment by Camille — 6:51 pm August 1, 2013 #

7. I just moved away from Seattle to California. Larry was a great guy and a good friend to me. I’d like to hear about any plans for a memorial service or anything else. Thanks and sorry for your loss. (oedipa@gmail.com)

Comment by oedipa — 11:20 pm August 1, 2013 #

8. That is quite kind of Larry’s family. RIP to him and good thoughts to all who are grieving.

Comment by MTHS — 12:05 pm August 2, 2013 #

9. Do we know what happened? I’ve heard that someone ran a red light. Was alcohol involved – either party?

Comment by E — 3:55 pm August 2, 2013 #

10. If you know someone who saw something, I hope they have spoken to the police. As I noted, they have nothing more to say about the investigation. They did report, as quoted in our original coverage, that the SUV driver did not show signs of impairment. Otherwise, if someone has died as in this case, the toxicology reports generally would not be in for weeks.

Comment by WSB — 4:24 pm August 2, 2013 #

11. a motorcycle event would be appropriate

Comment by phil seeley — 2:41 am August 3, 2013 #

12. Knew Larry since jr hi. Last saw on down at Alki when the pirates landed. Always sweet and smiling. My deepest sympathy to Lori, nieces and anyone else who knew Larry. Would like to know of a memorial/party.

Comment by Charlene Haba — 2:50 pm August 6, 2013 #

13. On behalf of myself, and the band, our heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Larry. A man whose heart was bigger than his motorcycle, he was always a true and kind friend. Though we shared many interests, music was the one thing that always brought us together. We are shocked and saddened to hear of his passing, he will be dearly missed. See you on the other side bro, I will play one for you.
    Love, Peace and Music
    Tim Turner

Comment by TIm Turner — 9:37 pm August 8, 2013 #

14. Thank you everyone for remembering my brother with your kind words. At a time like this these words are very comforting to hear.
    Lori Keller Sutherland

Comment by Lori — 9:54 pm August 8, 2013 #

15. As someone who rides a motorcycle through that intersection everytime I go to work, I was deeply saddened by Larry’s death. I think of him now everytime and wish his soul peace. I hope his death will be a wake-up call for all drivers to be more alert at every intersection, and look and listen for motorcycles. We are out there, too! RIP Larry.

Comment by rhiwi — 9:05 am August 16, 2013 #