Update: Suspect arrested after stolen pickup hits two vehicles, including Seattle Police car

August 6, 2013 at 10:37 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 39 Comments

(SCROLL DOWN for latest update – adding the first car reported to have been hit by the stolen truck)

10:37 AM: A Seattle Police car was hit and seriously damaged in the Morgan Junction area – and police are looking for the pickup truck driver who did it – he might be on the run in Gatewood. The truck is described as a ’98 gray Chevy pickup with landscaping equipment. According to scanner traffic, the officer driving the damaged car is not hurt. More to come.

(Added photo – tweeted by Robert)
10:45 AM: Co-publisher Patrick Sand was in the area when this happened. Police at the scene tell him that an officer checked the plate on the truck as it headed westbound on Fauntleroy and discovered it was stolen. They tried to pull it over and that’s when it hit the patrol car and took off, headed eventually into Gatewood, where they are still searching. The truck itself has been found.

10:49 AM: Suspect is in custody in Gatewood. Just added our photo of damaged SPD car in Morgan Junction. Engine 37 has been dispatched because the suspect, described as 23 years old, is complaining of an injury.

11:04 AM: At least one TV helicopter is in the area trying to get some visuals on this.

11:18 AM: Traffic is blocked southbound on California at the crash scene south of Fauntleroy until the damaged police car is towed. The suspect is reported to be facing potential charges of assaulting an officer as well as hit-run. We also confirmed directly with police at the arrest scene that, as we’d heard via radio communication earlier, the officer whose car was hit was not hurt.

11:35 AM: We’ve learned the truck was reported stolen from the Admiral/Alki area and apparently hit a car there before continuing on to the Morgan Junction area where the incident with police happened.

11:43 AM: SPD Blotter has just posted its summary, saying the car hit in Upper Alki contained someone who had reported the theft to 911.

12:26 PM: That’s the car hit in Upper Alki. We talked with its owner and the owner of the stolen truck. They told us that the truck’s owner was doing work at Cactus on Alki, packing up to leave, stepped away from the truck for just a moment – and that’s when the thief jumped in and took off. The Audi’s driver was a Cactus employee who saw it happen and followed the truck while calling 911; he says the thief noticed he was being followed and pulled the same maneuver that was used to hit the SPD car later – put the truck into reverse and deliberately back into the vehicle behind him.

1. Might there be more than one suspect? I am seeing patrol cars continuing to drive up and down my street at this moment.

Comment by Gerald — 10:53 am August 6, 2013 #

2. Gerald – Patrick is up there too and saw that but no, they have one guy in custody near 40th and Holly. He is complaining of an injury, so Engine 37 is headed that way to check him out. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 10:58 am August 6, 2013 #

3. I’m near by – corner of Holly/41st and SFD is here as well as several patrol cars…? Helicopters overhead as I type.

Comment by Gerald — 11:03 am August 6, 2013 #

4. Why can’t this loser make his own way to Engine 37?

Comment by Wendell — 11:04 am August 6, 2013 #

5. It appears an arrest is happening in my front yard. Individual is receiving medical care.

Comment by Gerald — 11:05 am August 6, 2013 #

6. Is there any relationship to the King5 Chopper over Admiral area?

Comment by danno — 11:06 am August 6, 2013 #

7. Danno, SPD tweeted an Admiral address regarding this. But to our knowledge – starting with co-publisher Patrick witnessing the Morgan Junction crash – it’s all in Morgan Jct and Gatewood.
    (edit) While SPD’s tweet – and to be fair, they always caution that it’s preliminary info – suggested the hit SPD car was in Admiral, it turns out (we added, and then they published on SPD Blotter) that there WAS an Admiral scene – the truck was stolen in Alki somewhere, then hit a car in west Admiral before continuing on and turning up in Morgan area. We’re now on our way to the Admiral scene to pick up that part of the story.

Comment by WSB — 11:10 am August 6, 2013 #

8. Dunno about any other news choppers, but KOMO TV just showed an aerial of the scene from Air-4.

Mike

Comment by miws — 11:16 am August 6, 2013 #

9. We’ve added ground photos of the arrest and the recovered truck. – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:25 am August 6, 2013 #

10. glad they caught this guy, maybe someone can get their, now damaged, car back. Hopefully the damage isn’t too expensive to fix. Frickin’ thieves

Comment by brandon — 11:31 am August 6, 2013 #

11. DONT MESS WITH SEATTLE WEST !!!

Way to go, ladies and gentlemen….

Comment by Vanessa — 11:42 am August 6, 2013 #

12. Fail

Comment by Fed up — 11:44 am August 6, 2013 #

13. Great coverage WSB, and great police work SPD!

Comment by gatewooder — 11:46 am August 6, 2013 #

14. Can’t say I’m sorry he’s hurt. You just know that if restitution is ordered by the courts he’ll never pay a dime. I am so sick of crappy people.

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 11:48 am August 6, 2013 #

15. May his journey be long and his destination confining.

Comment by DJ Allyn — 11:57 am August 6, 2013 #

16. ♫I backed my (stolen) car into a cop car the other day…♫

Comment by robespierre — 12:16 pm August 6, 2013 #

17. Yeah I think that truck was always parked near the now closed retirement home on Admiral.

Comment by Guy Olson — 12:18 pm August 6, 2013 #

18. Patrick just talked with its owner, who had been doing work by Cactus this morning when it was stolen. Adding the new info plus a pic of crunched Audi, which belongs to Cactus employee who followed the truck while calling 911, then got hit …

Comment by WSB — 12:26 pm August 6, 2013 #

19. If I stole a car (which I wouldn’t), I don’t think I’d drive in a way to draw so much attention to myself…just sayin’.

Comment by kas — 12:28 pm August 6, 2013 #

20. Dang. So much for being a good samaritan. Bet the insurance company for the Audi driver won’t appreciate his attempt at a good deed. Hope they do the right thing and cover his loss!

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 1:10 pm August 6, 2013 #

21. So, the thief backs into his pursuers to disable their cars. Not once, but twice. Sounds like the guy has seen too many Nicholas Cage movies or plays too many computer games. Whatever. He’s definitely lives in a fantasy universe.

Comment by mjaros — 1:11 pm August 6, 2013 #

22. Poor widdle thief, bumped his widdle head.

He should be responsible for paying for ALL damages, preferably by hard labor. My ‘blue’ tends to run a little ‘red’ over these issues…

Comment by anonyme — 1:14 pm August 6, 2013 #

23. All this and coyotes!

Comment by Terry — 1:26 pm August 6, 2013 #

24. Call me paranoid (and maybe it’s because I’m from an area down south where car theft is extremely common), but this is the exact reason that I never leave my keys in the car. It only takes someone a second to be off with your wheels.

Glad they caught this dude, and hope the owners insurance covers the damage.

Comment by Jeff — 1:40 pm August 6, 2013 #

25. Came upon the scene of the police car being loaded onto the tow truck & thought, wow, what did I just stumble upon?! Then, I thought, West Seattle Blog-check time… and, BAM! Here’s the whole story. I love news and West Seattle Blog is always on top of everything!! Yay!!
    Also, yay, that the dumb criminal got caught :-)

Comment by ereljo — 2:06 pm August 6, 2013 #

26. What an imbecile.

Comment by evergreen — 2:25 pm August 6, 2013 #

27. I hope people remember when they are voting today that public safety should be a priority for an city “leader.”
    Clearly it is not, as this guy is probably 100th dangerous lunatic we have seen running amok in WS this year.
    And I am not even counting the sex offenders we have living here!

Comment by JoAnne — 2:38 pm August 6, 2013 #

28. I second the opinion about needing a leader who makes public safety a priority.

A case like this shows how much of an impact a car thief can have on a community.

Unfortunately, I am guessing that if found guilty, the alleged thief will not serve much time.

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 2:54 pm August 6, 2013 #

29. So true.

Comment by Fed up — 2:55 pm August 6, 2013 #

30. What a colossal scumbag, purposely hitting 2 other cars (not to mention just being a run-of-the-mill car-stealing scumbag). Life would be so nice without people like this. He sounds like he might be mentally ill, but I tend toward the unsympathetic with criminals.

Comment by amalia — 2:56 pm August 6, 2013 #

31. Just to make sure everyone knows: The justice system from here is all county, not city. (County Executive Dow Constantine is up for re-election this year, but no one has campaigned against him, though there are some non-campaigning opponents on the ballot.) And state – the sentencing laws are set by the state. If this turns out to be a prior offender, for example, we will report on his record (or if not, his lack of one), and we will track to see if he is charged with anything related to this within the next few days. As of last check, he hadn’t (at least, no one with the expected list of potential charges) turned up on the jail register yet. – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:11 pm August 6, 2013 #

32. Thanks for the stellar reporting, TR. I really appreciate not only the coverage of things that most interest West Seattlites, but your informed responses to comments as well.

Comment by amalia — 3:28 pm August 6, 2013 #

33. How have these idiots not all died doing dumb stuff by now? I feel like natural selection should have taken care of a lot of this.

Comment by EmmyJane — 5:44 pm August 6, 2013 #

34. Where do these menaces to society come from? Hopefully this guy is from somewhere else.

Comment by Eric1 — 5:45 pm August 6, 2013 #

35. TR: thanks for always steering folks clear from misinformation (when possible)!

Comment by Thomas — 6:06 pm August 6, 2013 #

36. I am the owner of the stolen truck. I just want to thank the local residence who came and assisted us after this jerk rammed us. At a moment when my sole focus was on the dregs of society these people were a welcomed reminder that most people are good. Thank you so much for the cold water, the granola bars, the traffic cones and most of all the comfort of friendly people. My truck is still in possession of SPD. the inconvenience of this whole ordeal is a large pain in the @$$ but I am cooperating with SPD to do whatever it takes to get this menace some well deserved time behind bars. Hopefully. Thank you also to SPD for the good police work. You all should be proud of your officers.

Comment by Gregg — 1:24 am August 8, 2013 #

37. He got out of King County Jail with no charges. It boggles ones mind.

Comment by ConcernedCitizen — 2:19 pm August 8, 2013 #

38. Yes, we’re trying to get more details before writing a separate story. Probable cause was not found. As far as we know, that does not rule out charges in the future.

Comment by WSB — 2:29 pm August 8, 2013 #

39. I finally got my truck back this morning. Needs more work than I can afford. Thanks Donald Plute. I wish you a terrible accident in the near future.

Comment by Gregg — 9:25 pm August 9, 2013 #