West Seattle Cyclery: Bike shop gearing up in The Junction

July 2, 2013 at 11:51 am | In Transportation, West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 32 Comments

The bicycle boom is coming to The Junction: Just revealed via the windows at 4508 California SW (the ex-Sweetie storefront), West Seattle Cyclery will open there soon. We talked there with proprietor Brad Loetel as well as exchanging e-mail, in which he explained:

West Seattle Cyclery will be a full-service bike shop offering retail bike sales, bike repair, and bike fitting. Our mission at West Seattle Cyclery is to have our customers love cycling as much as we do. We will support our customers in that effort by hiring dedicated, smart, and professional staff who will use their knowledge and experience to ensure the customer purchases the bike and equipment which best meets their needs.

The owner and employees are from West Seattle so we have a strong desire to make sure we provide the West Seattle community with exceptional customer service. We have been waiting for a space in the Junction for quite a while now because we know the Junction is the hub of West Seattle. The development currently going on around the Junction will no doubt bring changes but I think it provides more opportunities for local business to grow and be prosperous.

Brad says the shop will open in phases over the next several weeks – the repair area will be ready first; the sales area will follow.

(Thanks to Amanda for the sign-spotting tip!)

1. So stoked for this bike shop! Will be a customer for sure.

Comment by Gearhead — 12:08 pm July 2, 2013 #

2. Any indication on when they plan to open?

Comment by Brett — 12:47 pm July 2, 2013 #

3. No specific date. As noted in the story, they will roll out in two phases in the weeks ahead. It’ll be a few weeks before the first phase (repairs), Brad thought, but they’re working as fast as they can…

Comment by WSB — 12:53 pm July 2, 2013 #

4. Great news!

Comment by themightyrabbit — 1:03 pm July 2, 2013 #

5. I was just looking around for a new bike – set aside a cyclocross for me!

Comment by Jason — 1:13 pm July 2, 2013 #

6. WSB, will you please pass my email to Brad. If they have bicycle boxes they need to recycle, I would gladly take them! I need huge boxes for a garden project. Btw, I’m totally excited for this business!!!!

Comment by Heather — 1:50 pm July 2, 2013 #

7. Nice! I’ve been meaning to ride my bike down to Admiral for a tune-up. But this will be much more convenient for an Alaska Junction dweller.

Comment by cjboffoli — 2:26 pm July 2, 2013 #

8. This will be the fourth bicycle shop in West Seattle, correct? And even more bike shops have substantial city-wide followings. I know bikes are a tough market, so I wish them the best of luck.

Comment by rw — 2:50 pm July 2, 2013 #

9. Third. Aaron moved to White Center.

Comment by WSB — 3:20 pm July 2, 2013 #

10. Heather, we don’t have any bike boxes yet. Our bikes will be coming in the next couple of weeks. We do have some large pieces of cardboard right now.

We are working hard to get things open here but there are so many little details we have to get in place before we will be ready to go. We are pretty excited to open and can’t wait to help out our friends in West Seattle.

Comment by Brad Loetel — 3:29 pm July 2, 2013 #

11. Heather, you can have all my cardboard boxes,,,AAAWaterHeaters.com

Comment by WsBoB — 3:36 pm July 2, 2013 #

12. I hope they make it a cool, friendly environment. I’ve found some Seattle shops to be either aloof or bristly in the past. One local bike shop also consistently prices their parts 20-30% above msrp. I’ll happily pay a little more to shop local, but will not allow myself to get ripped off to do so.

On recent trips to Portland and California, I found several bike shops with hip styling, great attitude, and sometimes even an espresso bar (e.g., West End Bikes’ ‘Maglia Rosa’ espresso cart in PDX). I always thought it would be great to have a place like that in West Seattle.

Comment by W Sea Neighbor — 4:02 pm July 2, 2013 #

13. Yay! Looking forward to the grand opening!

Comment by Karyn — 4:29 pm July 2, 2013 #

14. What a great location. You can walk across the street to beer junction while your bike is fixed.
    sweetness.

Comment by WSEA — 4:37 pm July 2, 2013 #

15. Brad,
    Which bike brands do you plan to carry?

Comment by Daldart — 5:41 pm July 2, 2013 #

16. Way to go Brad! So glad to have you back in a WS business, and under your own control.
    W. Sea Neighbor- knowing Brad as I do, I’m sure you will find him amicable, welcoming, and unpretentious. I doubt he would hire anyone that was either.

Comment by Observer — 6:09 pm July 2, 2013 #

17. Didn’t mean to sound critical at all in my last post—I’m super psyched to have a bike shop in the Junction! Welcome to the ‘hood! I’ll be there opening day…

Comment by W Sea Neighbor — 6:17 pm July 2, 2013 #

18. hope they promote and sell bike bells:) Real bikers have a bell.

Comment by patt — 6:26 pm July 2, 2013 #

19. Welcome to the peninsula as a business owner, Brad.
    Someday I hope there are as many bike businesses are there are auto businesses. I think there is room for all of us, especially if we specialize. Like Portland shops do and auto shops everywhere. I will be glad to take your internal gear hub repair referrals. What will be your specialty? Word on the street (Byron from Bike Hugger) says you will be mostly a pro shop.
    White Center is rocking, btw. Come visit and quaff a beer with me. I will be by to do some industrial espionage after you open. What is your favorite beer flavor?

Comment by Aaron Goss — 7:01 pm July 2, 2013 #

20. Brad, if you are in need of a good tech, I have 10+ years of experience and have been dying to get back in the industry albeit very part time. Would love to meet you and will definitely be checking out your new shop. Welcome to the ‘hood!

Comment by Ian Nicoud — 9:11 pm July 2, 2013 #

21. Great! Have been waiting for a great bike shop to open. Have also liked the service at the bike n board shop up in admiral. But this new shop will be a nice addition…good service w/ no attitude will go far! Welcome!

Comment by Whoa — 9:26 pm July 2, 2013 #

22. Nice to see a utilitarian business open in the Junction – instead of yet another gift shop. Hope things go well!

Comment by Last53BusRider — 9:52 pm July 2, 2013 #

23. Brad, your name looks super familiar! WSBA member?

Comment by Velo_nut — 10:24 pm July 2, 2013 #

24. First off, very glad to have a full service shop in the immediate hood. Us bike commuters are going to benefit from, and be happy to support, a shop on our way down to Avalon.

Second, you’ve gotta keep the pink brick. It says something, I don’t know, it TALKS to me.

Seriously, welcome.

Comment by dave — 10:51 pm July 2, 2013 #

25. I would have to agree with the pink bricks..gives it some personality! Welcome! Excited for a new shop down the street!

Comment by Erin — 11:54 pm July 2, 2013 #

26. @dave, when I saw the pink brick in the photo, my first thought was the pink leader’s jersey of the Giro d’Italia!

Comment by WS Neighbor — 6:33 am July 3, 2013 #

27. Daldart… We are getting the last of the dealer agreements signed and working on our first orders. I will definitely make an announcement once everything is in order.

Aaron… We will be a shop the whole family can purchase bikes and equipment from. We will have services, bikes and equipment for the local racer too.

I will let everyone know more details in the coming week. In the meantime we have the Tour on at the shop so swing by if you are in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the well wishes,
    Brad

Comment by Brad Loetel — 10:11 am July 3, 2013 #

28. I’m gonna buy me a bike! Kept putting it off. This must be sign. Good luck with your new store.

Comment by Ray West — 2:06 pm July 3, 2013 #

29. Great to have a bicycle shop back in The Junction the last time we had one was in the late 70s and early 80s opposite corner ,south, of A Terrible Beauty ,which was once a Godfatners Pizza. Welcome to the neighborhood and although much closer than Aarons in White Center I will more than likely continue giving him my business as far a maintenance goes.

Comment by NW — 7:16 pm July 3, 2013 #

30. STOKED to hear of a new shop in the junction! Personally I am hoping for it to be the antithesis of the shop that recently left WS. Sounds like that will be the case…welcome!

Comment by PacNWduder — 3:40 pm July 11, 2013 #

31. Let us know as soon as you get a website and a facebook page! I’m stoked to have you in the neighborhood!

Comment by Chris — 10:30 am July 15, 2013 #

32. Great seeing you at the suummerfest–can’t wait till you open!

Comment by WS Neighbor — 7:44 pm July 15, 2013 #