West Seattle Crime Watch: Neighbors help police catch burglary suspects

July 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm | In Crime, Highland Park, West Seattle news | 10 Comments

If you noticed police activity in the 16th and Holden area of Highland Park earlier today, here’s what it was about: Southwest Precinct Lt. Alan Williams says two neighbors called police after seeing four people break into a house in the 7700 block of 15th SW and run away. Two suspects were stopped at 16th and Holden, two at 15th and Holden; all were juveniles, and Lt. Williams says some “had property on their person that was later identified by the victim as their property.” One had a “loaded semi-automatic ammo clip on his person,” but a K-9 searching the area didn’t find a gun. He says three suspects were booked, one interviewed and released.

1. One “interviewed” and released?

Comment by TimeToStopThisBS — 6:19 am July 6, 2013 #

2. Out in two hours. Time to actually do something that will send a message.

Comment by Marty — 10:41 am July 6, 2013 #

3. My thoughts exactly

Comment by Eric — 2:09 pm July 6, 2013 #

4. This is exactly how neighbors should help out other neighbors!! BRAVO to them!!

Comment by Silly Goose — 2:50 pm July 6, 2013 #

5. When they say interviewed and released that means that the suspect will be released on the promise to testify against the other burglers so it its a solid case that way they will do more time

Comment by mike tanner — 9:58 pm July 6, 2013 #

6. I am curious if there is a way to see photographs of these individuals? My home was cased a couple of weeks ago by three young men and I would like to see if any of these ‘children’ were involved in this actual break-in. Does anyone know if that is possible in light of the fact that they are ‘children’??

Comment by Friend O'Dinghus — 9:06 am July 7, 2013 #

7. Short answer – no.

Long answer – Mug shots are not publicly available for suspects of any age. The only ones we are ever able to get are for people who have served time in state prison. Otherwise, the only way you would be able to see these suspects is by going to a court hearing. To find the schedule, you’d need to know their names. I don’t even have those; would have to see an unredacted version of the report, which is difficult to come by. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:20 am July 7, 2013 #

8. Neighbors of this block- I live on the 7900 block of 15th and had a strange young person come to my door about an hour ago (male with short black curly hair, wearing a backpack). Since hearing about the break-in, I neglected to answer it. I drove around the block after to investigate and found him and another person rummaging through a large duffel bag and now had two bicycles with them. They threw the bag in a gray suburban with expired tabs parked on 16th and rode away. They didn’t stop at any other houses. My husband is notifying the police. Hopefully we can keep in touch and stop these guys!

Comment by Laura — 3:01 pm July 7, 2013 #

9. My neighbors & my family are fed up with the “juveniles” in our
    Neighborhood. Especially ones whom break into homes with semi automatic clips on their person. So, where is the gun?? I read the K-9 unit sniffed suspect but didn’t find the gun. Hmmm wonder where it is? SPD, please patrol our blocks more, please. Increased Police presence is only part of our arsenal to fight these low-lives whom prey on us hard working, kind folk. The main deterrent isn’t a gun, a giant dog or alarm system, it is neighborhood commrodery and alertness. Yes, block watch. So, if you see any suspicious behavior or individuals let them know your watching & call 911.

Comment by Jenni — 12:56 am July 9, 2013 #

10. Possession of gun ‘paraphernalia’, even without a gun, should warrant mandatory detention. Is it just me, or are more teens involved in criminal activity lately?

Comment by anonyme — 9:22 am July 14, 2013 #