West Seattle Crime Watch: Home broken into; gas siphoned

July 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 7 Comments

Two quick West Seattle Crime Watch notes to share. First, from Sue in Gatewood:

My house was (burglarized) in broad daylight (Wednesday) between 9:30-11 AM. I live on SW Elmgrove between California and 41st. They entered through a side window using a screwdriver and left through the front door. I have 2 large dogs who bark a lot but aren’t vicious who were unharmed. They took mostly jewelry, 2 cameras, iPod, small amount of cash.

And from Erika:

Last week, my boyfriend and myself had someone siphon gas and take our gas caps some time during the night on Alki Avenue. We live next to Anchor Park.

SIDE NOTE: We’re pitching it again – hurry up and register your Night Out block party for August 6th – and if it’s OK for us to possibly stop by for a photo, send the location (and who to ask for) to editor@westseattleblog.com – thanks!

1. So sorry, had this happen several years ago and it is maddening/frustrating and sad. Glad the dogs and you are ok.

Comment by Susan — 3:48 pm July 25, 2013 #

2. Where is Anchor Park?

Comment by Anonymous — 4:23 pm July 25, 2013 #

3. Right at Duwamish Head. Some call it Luna Park since it was once over the last remaining piece of the old amusement park (its swimming-pool basin), since removed. Forget what block of Alki Avenue it is.

Comment by WSB — 4:33 pm July 25, 2013 #

4. Anchor Park – 1200 blk. of Alki

Comment by K'lo — 5:41 pm July 25, 2013 #

5. I’ve been burgled myself, it always feels invasive. There’s a good chance they’ll catch the guy (most burglars continue until caught) but it may or may not be with your stuff.
    However, I learned that “broad daylight” is not as brazen as you’d think — it’s when most burglaries occur, because “working hours” are when people are least likely to be at home.

Comment by Mel — 5:42 pm July 25, 2013 #

6. Suprising we dont see more fuel theft. Perhaps when gasoline is $6-7/gallon.

Comment by flyntheointment — 5:54 pm July 25, 2013 #

7. Is this a new thing? I’ve never heard of someone stealing and siphoning or tapping the natural gas lines into a home like this. It sounds like it’s lunatic levels of dangerous, right?

EDIT: I should read more closely and drink more coffee before commenting. I thought this was talking about HOUSE gas lines.

Comment by Joe Szilagyi — 8:31 am July 26, 2013 #