Practicing in West Seattle this season, All-City Band in Hawaii today, Band Jam at SWAC later this month

July 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm | In West Seattle news, WS culture/arts | 12 Comments

A few times these past few weeks, Westwood residents asked about music/drums they’ve heard coming from Southwest Athletic Complex. We eventually learned SWAC is the rehearsal HQ this year for the All-City Band, the green-shirted student musicians who are fixtures in summer parades around this region. And beyond – as evidenced by the photos and update shared by Steve White:

The Seattle All City Band, under the direction of Chief Sealth/Denny music director Marcus Pimpleton, is performing this week on the island of Oahu.

Today, they participated in the Kailua, Oahu, 4th of July Parade (photo above; below is a group shot with the King Kamehameha statue in Honolulu).

Later in the week, the band will be performing at the Polynesian Cultural Center and in a parade along Waikiki Beach in downtown Honolulu.

The band is rehearsing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings at SWAC to prepare for the upcoming Seafair parade season.

The band will also be hosting the Seattle All City “Band Jam” at SWAC on Friday, July 26th at 7 pm. This event features many of the music groups that will be performing in the following night’s Seafair Torchlight Parade, but in a concert setting on the football field. The event is free for all; donations to the program gladly accepted.

Before that, you’ll see them here in the West Seattle Grand Parade on July 20th.

1. I was in All City Band back in the 80′s, and we did the same rotation of events both summers I was in band. We never traveled to any place this good.

Comment by band geek — 8:55 pm July 4, 2013 #

2. Rehearsals will be most Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights through August 8th from 6-9 pm. Our complete schedule of events is listed at http://www.AllCityBand.org.

Comment by Marcus Pimpleton — 9:27 pm July 4, 2013 #

3. Loved the summers of 73-74-75 that I spent in All City Band! Wish we went to Hawaii in our day :)

Comment by Paula Tortorice — 10:12 pm July 4, 2013 #

4. I thought they were practicing at SWAC. i love all city band, but 3 hours of drumline gets pretty old 3 nights a week with the windows open. It is not as fun as seeing them at a parade.

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 11:06 pm July 4, 2013 #

5. Yes, that’s what our story says – they are practicing at SWAC.

Comment by WSB — 11:08 pm July 4, 2013 #

6. Yes. If you could hear my voice through my typing, the inflection was on “thought” LOL. After the fourth night of constant drums, I suspected as much.

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 11:14 pm July 4, 2013 #

7. I was in the band in 1970 and 1971. Our biggest trip was to PNE in Vancouver, Canada. Those were great summers. Hawaii would have been good, too.

Comment by Been there — 12:05 am July 5, 2013 #

8. Yea, sorry in advance (or not so advance) to the neighbors. It should hopefully just be a one summer location change while Memorial Stadium is being renovated.

Comment by Marcus Pimpleton — 12:18 am July 5, 2013 #

9. Maybe the wind section could move up to the upper part of the stadium every other day or so? LOL. Thank you Marcus. : )

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 7:53 am July 5, 2013 #

10. Mahalo for making the trip to our small town. You were easily the best music in the Kailua parade. Hope to see you again next year!

Comment by Fuzzy — 1:27 pm July 5, 2013 #

11. @ me on 28th Ave SW – I agree.

Comment by S on 30th — 1:59 pm July 5, 2013 #

12. My dad who lives in Kailua said he really enjoyed them.

Comment by steve — 11:11 pm July 5, 2013 #