West Seattle Outdoor Movies 2013: This summer’s lineup!

June 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle Outdoor Movies | 10 Comments

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions – this year’s lineup for West Seattle Outdoor Movies is just in! From Lora Swift of Hotwire Online Coffeehouse (WSB sponsor), here’s what’s planned for six consecutive Saturday nights in The Junction:

July 20: Goldfinger (1964; vintage trailer above) – Rated PG

July 27: Devil Wears Prada (2006) – Rated PG-13

August 3: The Muppets w/ short of Wallace & Gromit (2011) – Rated PG (with a free community barbecue, sponsored by WSCC)

August 10: Avengers (2012) – Rated PG-13

August 17: Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989) – Rated PG

August 24: This Is Spinal Tap (1983) – Rated R

The movies are all shown on the “big screen” wall in the courtyard adjacent to Hotwire (4410 California SW). Doors usually open a couple hours before the movies start (dusk, which gets a bit earlier each week). Admission is free, but bring $ for concessions and raffles, both of which benefit local nonprofits. And bring your own chair/blanket to sit on!

1. Awesome – great selection (except for July 27th, ha!)

Trivia tidbit – Bill & Ted was filmed at the high school from which I graduated – Coronado H.S. in Scottsdale, AZ – though it was supposed to San Dimas H.S. AZ film production was much cheaper back then and still had that So Cal look.

“Strange things are afoot at the local Circle K” Sadly, one of our favorite hang-outs!

Comment by B-check — 2:10 pm June 3, 2013 #

2. Spinal Tap goes to eleven. And eleven is half the number of times I have seen it.

Comment by DaveB — 2:47 pm June 3, 2013 #

3. We have a soft spot for that one – watched it (a year after it came out) on our first date! – TR

Comment by WSB — 2:57 pm June 3, 2013 #

4. Well shoot – big bummer – seems the ~1/3 of suggestions/comments/requests for more family-friendly flix were ineffective.

We got the same “one kid-friendly night and all the rest are ADULTS ONLY” as in previous years.
    You really couldn’t find a middle ground between Muppets and Licenses to Kill?

One could argue that B&T’s is “ok for kids” but it’d be inappropriate to bring little ones to that really – it’s funny and great, but vulgar and violent and deals with some heavy subject matter.

Maybe this is a simple matter of not understanding what would be considered “OK” for kids?

Comment by zark — 4:36 pm June 3, 2013 #

5. Bummer. Not even one rated “G” movie. Do they think it’s just too late at night to bring out the little ones?

Comment by E — 9:56 pm June 3, 2013 #

6. Have been going to the movies since they first started. In the last couple of years most the films were so family/small child focused, that I wasn’t staying the whole time, or just not going.

Thank you for the good mix on the line-up! I’m happy to see more PG films. Having four PG films is more ‘in the middle’; plus one G and one R, gives everyone something.

A big thank you to the team that puts together WS Outdoor Movies. It’s not an easy task. You’ll never be able please everyone, and I appreciate how your team listens to everyone’s feedback.

Comment by funkietoo — 9:05 am June 4, 2013 #

7. I think this is a pretty good mix-but no G rated movie that I can see-maybe that isn’t a rating anymore-maybe ratings begin at PG now?

Comment by Gene — 9:42 am June 4, 2013 #

8. looks like a good line-up- thanks for the variety and hosting this fun activity !
    I’ve only been to one in the past (Despicable me) but I think it’s great that this is in our community year after year. thanks!!!
    I love the muppets. hopefully we’ll make it to that one.
    (I am not strongly opinioned in the matter, but, for me, the sun sets so late in the summer that kids who’d see a G movie are too tired to stay up that late, but maybe that’s just my kid that can barely make it past 9)

Comment by sam-c — 9:56 am June 4, 2013 #

9. I am disappointed by the complete lack of films rated “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.”

Although, Bill and Ted, good times.

Comment by McBride — 2:44 pm June 4, 2013 #

10. I’m surprised to see a rated R movie on here. I was under the impression that these movies would be “relatively family friendly” as suggested in a May 7th blog post. I would’ve liked to see something that I could bring my little sister to.

Comment by Sofia — 1:15 am June 10, 2013 #