At Alki Statue of Liberty Plaza: First the eagle, then the guy with the hatchet, now …

June 25, 2013 at 9:31 am | In Alki Statue of Liberty, West Seattle news | 114 Comments

… a hatchet:

If you are just coming in on this – weekend stories: Saturday and Sunday.

While we were checking this out at Alki about 45 minutes ago, we spoke with a Parks Department crew member who was working nearby. He didn’t know about it until he saw it; he tried calling the local maintenance office but hadn’t reached anyone by the time he had to move on. So we’re checking on their plans, and also the larger question: Is it illegal to place something in a park?

11:16 AM UPDATE: Sandra DeMeritt from Parks tells WSB, “We posted a sign on the object a little while ago stating we will remove the item tomorrow. We like to give the public some notice. We also will have to bring the truck and front loader in to remove it. We won’t save it at the Parks Headquarters this time as it is so big. We will break it up and take it to the Transfer Station. We will also make sure the paint is cleaned up as well. I assume it is acrylic paint and not enamel (hopefully). One of our crew members is supposed to put some spill pads down to keep any paint from running down to the beach.”

12:42 PM UPDATE: And to the big-picture question, Parks spokesperson Joelle Hammerstad replies:

It is not actually illegal to place guerrilla art in a park, unless you consider it litter…in which case it is illegal. We don’t really consider it litter. We consider it guerrilla art, which is sometimes fun, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes beautiful, sometimes not. What we generally do with guerrilla art is post it to let the artist know they have a certain amount of time to remove it. When that time is up, and if the art is still there, we take it away. Guerrilla art is ephemeral, and the artists know that. They don’t have an expectation that the art will stay for the long term.

1. Hmmmm. Looks like an angry giant in the sky threw that down.

Comment by Last53BusRider — 9:46 am June 25, 2013 #

2. I don’t appreciate it.

Comment by Morgan — 10:04 am June 25, 2013 #

3. Cue the outrage…

Love it. May drive down to see it. “Winning.” Nice!

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 10:04 am June 25, 2013 #

4. Don’t piss off Paul Bunyan! ;-)

I have to say, with the caveat that as long as the statue and/or plaza are or will not be damaged by this, I think it’s kinda hilarious!

Mike

Comment by miws — 10:10 am June 25, 2013 #

5. Lol

Comment by Chris W — 10:11 am June 25, 2013 #

6. You have to admit, the escalation of the art is hilarious. If the police get involved I wager the next version will involve something like the Statue of Liberty built into the back of a police car, at this rate.

Comment by Joe Szilagyi — 10:12 am June 25, 2013 #

7. I agree, I LOVE gorilla art. As LONG as it doesn’t cause any damage to the statue or surround, its great. I loved the “monolith” that appear on Duck Island and around town, and the “Grouchos”. It’s all fun!

Comment by Alki Area — 10:17 am June 25, 2013 #

8. Thor?

Comment by trickycoolj — 10:18 am June 25, 2013 #

9. Marcel Duchamp (The Einstein of the art world) said many years ago that future legitimate artists would (have to) go underground………….

Comment by eye of the beholder — 10:18 am June 25, 2013 #

10. Kind of creepy, but also kind of fun. I’m getting a kick out of it.

Comment by AE — 10:23 am June 25, 2013 #

11. Great! I was wondering what to do with this old sofa, now I can drop it in a park and call it art.

Comment by another — 10:26 am June 25, 2013 #

12. Okay, that made me laugh. (Btw, Alki Area, it’s “guerilla art”…”gorilla art” would be this. ;)

Comment by datamuse — 10:27 am June 25, 2013 #

13. I love it. Gangster!

Comment by lox — 10:31 am June 25, 2013 #

14. It’s littering. If no one is there to claim it, it’s been illegally dumped.

Comment by NorDel — 10:31 am June 25, 2013 #

15. The timing is of this response to the buffoon that took an ax to the last installation, couldn’t be more timely as the ‘Supreme’ Court just took an ax to the voting rights act. This works on so many levels. Bravo!

Comment by rawkergrrrl — 10:32 am June 25, 2013 #

16. It looks like paint on the cement — or is that a reflection? Sure looks like paint to me.

Comment by DFW — 10:33 am June 25, 2013 #

17. This is dumb and I hope they are coming to pick this crap up that they are leaving laying around.

Comment by s — 10:37 am June 25, 2013 #

18. Why is WSB notifying Parks Department? I think that’s instigating removal and I object to it. It’s the bureaucracy’s job to clean and remove, not judge whether it’s art or not.

How about during the next 9-11 vigil I call the police or foment concern that people carrying candles may be arsonists. Of course that would be perceived as crazy.

People who don’t understand the importance that art as political statement plays should also be treated as ignorant, imbeciles, or fascists. If people are ignorant but willing to be open-minded they may learn to understand this kind of expression. Destroying this expression whether you agree with it, like it, or understand it, is fascistic behavior.

Let it be so people can ponder its meaning. We clearly have artists in the community. Appreciate their work or leave it alone.

Comment by I. Ponder — 10:38 am June 25, 2013 #

19. Yes, there’s paint on the pavement. Either it was painted there or else after it was left there, the overnight rain caused it to bleed.

Comment by WSB — 10:38 am June 25, 2013 #

20. Hope whoever put it there will clean it up!

Comment by DSC — 10:40 am June 25, 2013 #

21. Nice work hope the guy who destroyed the previos artwork with a hatchet is able to see it in person before it’s haluled away.

Comment by NW — 10:40 am June 25, 2013 #

22. curious who’s money is used to remove this from the public parks, tax payers, OK to make a statement but clean it up after @ I. Ponder take a Valumn

Comment by Pauline Aldrich — 10:42 am June 25, 2013 #

23. You can say a lot of the art at SAM is “dumb” too. But at least you don’t have to pay $25 to see this. :)
    Funny if they put this in the Olympic Sculpture park and had a cocktail party to celebrate the opening people would be gushing about how great it was. It’s all context…and art in ODD contexts is what makes it interesting.

Comment by Alki Area — 10:43 am June 25, 2013 #

24. Pretty cool if it’s just an expression of art that’s temporary.

Comment by jc — 10:43 am June 25, 2013 #

25. Now this is ART.

Comment by community member — 10:44 am June 25, 2013 #

26. I agree with “another”– its totally being used as a dumping grounds. Ive got a handful of things I could throw out there and spray paint some words on and call it art. Will save me a dump run!

Comment by mb — 10:45 am June 25, 2013 #

27. If only we had cameras on the waterfront to see who the criminal was that was perpetrating such an affront to humanity!

Comment by Azimuth — 10:50 am June 25, 2013 #

28. Just noticed the “WINNING” on the axe handle. Am starting to think the whole thing, dude who chopped up the previous installation included, is someone’s performance art project.

Comment by datamuse — 10:51 am June 25, 2013 #

29. Opinions and commentary = mission accomplished.

Comment by LuckyNeighbor — 10:51 am June 25, 2013 #

30. “Art is what you can get away with”

Comment by A.hol — 10:56 am June 25, 2013 #

31. I wish the artists would spend their spare time volunteering to help the community, picking up trash, or building mountain bike trails instead of this.

Comment by JJ — 11:06 am June 25, 2013 #

32. Aren’t any of you getting the political symbolism or juxtaposition between the Statue of Liberty and the Native American imagery? You might not like it but it is sending a strong statement.

Comment by Dusky — 11:07 am June 25, 2013 #

33. IP, we aren’t “notifying” anyone. (A) The Parks Dept. guy we saw while we were on Alki checking this out had already seen it and told us he was calling the Maintenance Dept. (B) My inquiry to Parks’ communications staff is a reportorial inquiry, which is my job – to find out their plans, if any, and also to ask – IS this illegal? I honestly don’t know and am wondering if there is some policy where the line is drawn – the statue has been the site of so many mementos in the past, candles and photos remembering 9/11 victims, among other things, what’s the difference between that and this, and why would this (or, before the hatchet dude arrived, the “eagle” over the weekend) be grounds for removal? – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:07 am June 25, 2013 #

34. I would say that this latest installation is a 100% success, just based on how many people are angry about it.

Comment by Twobottles — 11:08 am June 25, 2013 #

35. Just went and spent some time looking at this up close. Apparently this artist reads the blog, as he took particular note of Smitty’s entries. One passage stated: “Me, me, what art means —> 100 posts Smitty.” That was an arrow pointing directly to Smitty if not clear. Some other choice observations: “Broken city,” “Glad we had this chance to talk,” and my fave, “Here’s Johnny!” Haha. Hope we see more from this artist–this town needs it.

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 11:09 am June 25, 2013 #

36. One persons trash is another persons treasure
    Don’t like it?
    Then don’t look at it….pretty easy
    Try saving your NIMBY outrage and
    Indignation for something important.
    And btw, nobody asked me if I was ok with
    a replica of the Statue of Bigotry being
    put there….
    ” bring us your poor, your tired, your
    huddled masses, for we need a cheap
    source of labor to exploit “

Comment by Felix Grounds — 11:12 am June 25, 2013 #

37. C&S, I missed the Smitty reference. There definitely is a lot of writing beyond “WINNING,” though. Not all entirely legible, but folks can go look for themselves.

Comment by WSB — 11:14 am June 25, 2013 #

38. If it was legal and/or if it was art and/or if it was such an awesome message, then why was it left by an anonymous coward?

Comment by JoAnne — 11:14 am June 25, 2013 #

39. LOL! Works on a national and local level.

Comment by scout15 — 11:14 am June 25, 2013 #

40. Oh My God, I can’t believe no one has seen the humor the artist is using. His last piece was hacked to bits. The writing on the handle says “Here’s Johnny” a direct quote from the Stephen King book and movie “The Shinning” when the crazy father goes after his family with an ax. It also has “Winning” on the handle which made me think of Charlie Sheen and his not too distant use of the word “Winning” to describe how he felt as he was being removed from “Two and a Half Men”. The artist seems to think someone hacking his work to bits is CRAZY.

I also think the artist reads the blog.

Comment by DRW — 11:26 am June 25, 2013 #

41. There is a ‘USA’ next to ‘Winning’. And also a reference to ‘The Shining’!

Comment by Erik — 11:26 am June 25, 2013 #

42. Tracy: Where did my post go? You reference it but I don’t see it…

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 11:28 am June 25, 2013 #

43. If edits are made by commenters during the short edit window, the comment goes back in the moderation queue automatically. I stepped away from the keyboard to deal with something else, should be back now.

Comment by WSB — 11:31 am June 25, 2013 #

44. I find the piles of dog dirt on the beach far more offensive than someone’s art.

Comment by DRW — 11:31 am June 25, 2013 #

45. Seemed like an appropriate political statement, what with the hatchet job being done to our freedoms by the Supreme Court this month.

Comment by Jan — 11:34 am June 25, 2013 #

46. Jan.. you probably nailed it on the head. The problem is that most people actually don’t care or do want to become a society without freedoms. Tyranny to be exact. For me its simple. Give me liberty or give me death. I wish we had more protesting in our streets whether I agree with their views or not. It makes for a healthier society. But people are scared here..Can’t you tell? Folks.. go and refresh yourselves and read George Orwell’s book 1984 or Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Comment by jiggers — 11:53 am June 25, 2013 #

47. They need to be sought after and fined for illegal dumping.

Comment by Paul — 11:56 am June 25, 2013 #

48. We spent over a year raising the money to bring the Statue of Liberty back to its original design! Over 500 people donated to this effort. How many have been involved in this defacing? Now, for all of us: “Hope whoever put it there will clean it up!”

Comment by DSC — 10:40 am June 25, 2013

Comment by MAB — 11:57 am June 25, 2013 #

49. Dear Artist: Don’t quit your day job.

Comment by george — 11:58 am June 25, 2013 #

50. How in the world did they find the time to respond to hatchet man this quick. This is a major project! It had to have been made in a large studio, the wood must have been steamed to shape it…the way the handle was all put together took some elaborate planning and execution, wow.

Comment by ? — 12:00 pm June 25, 2013 #

51. After this “ax” gets hauled away, can we get a splatter paint and 2×4 “art” installment of a Parks Department employee with a broom?
    And then after that maybe a rendition of a weeping tree standing over the shredded remains of the previous “art”.
    It could never end! The art that keeps on giving!

Comment by dave — 12:01 pm June 25, 2013 #

52. “How in the world did they find the time to respond to hatchet man this quick. This is a major project!”

Food stamps and ever extended unemployment benefits = lots of free time.

Thanks WSB for making the original “non news”, news.

Now we get this all summer long………..

Time for cameras!

Comment by Smitty — 12:07 pm June 25, 2013 #

53. Felix– right you are– my trash just might be someone else’s treasure– hadn’t thought of that until seeing your post! I’ll bring my stuff down & dump it– with some witty/ political comments written on it of course— if someone doesn’t like it- they don’t have to look at it -as you say ” pretty easy”!! Don’t even have to worry about removing it- Parks Dept. will take care of that for me!
    Win- Win– or is it “winning”

Comment by Gene — 12:14 pm June 25, 2013 #

54. I LOVE THIS!

Comment by Michelle — 12:18 pm June 25, 2013 #

55. This means more to me than a giant eraser ever will!

Comment by Michelle — 12:20 pm June 25, 2013 #

56. Fire the cameras up !

Comment by SrslySharon — 12:26 pm June 25, 2013 #

57. ?: that’s why I think the dude with the axe was in on it. (*waves*)

Comment by datamuse — 12:37 pm June 25, 2013 #

58. I love guerilla art. Never knew about it until moving to Seattle, but I think it really adds something cool to this city. Thank you artist, whoever you are.

Comment by evergreen — 12:44 pm June 25, 2013 #

59. For those just tracking the comments, we have added two updates from Parks so far. – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:45 pm June 25, 2013 #

60. oh, Smitty. The artist has you pegged.

“Me, me, what art means —> 100 posts Smitty.”

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 12:45 pm June 25, 2013 #

61. Guerilla art ≠ Gorilla art

Comment by BER — 1:00 pm June 25, 2013 #

62. Wow! It is not illegal dumping. That mattress behind my house – that’s illegal dumping. Art is about evoking emotion – which this clearly does. If you paid attention this morning, the Supreme Court says it’s okay to disenfranchise voters. Does that evoke emotion? I sure as hell hope so. It evokes so much emotion from one of us that they have spent their spare time to create a statement, publicly displayed for all of us to wake up about. I commend this person. We should all be this person.

Comment by Amanda — 1:20 pm June 25, 2013 #

63. smARTer

Comment by Norquay — 1:27 pm June 25, 2013 #

64. I’m all for art and expression, but I agree with Pauline Aldrich, I don’t think the cleanup should be paid for by anyone other than the artist. With great power comes responsibility, ya know? And yes, I. Ponder, please chill. You’re harshing the vibe. Art is important, I agree, but I completely disagree that “the man” should have to foot the cleanup bill. Protest, go nuts with guerrilla art, but darn it, ain’t nobody here anybody’s momma!
    Clean up after yourself!

Comment by KatieL — 1:40 pm June 25, 2013 #

65. To the Artist-

Thank you! Your work is appreciated and needed! We are in the throws of losing our country and the masses being kept preoccupied with bread and circus’.

Keep it coming! More, more, more!

Comment by Neighbor — 1:42 pm June 25, 2013 #

66. I support you Guerrilla Artist! Keep it up, keep these people talking, keep them thinking. And people, remember, just because you don’t like a piece of art, does not mean it isn’t art.

Comment by Mrs. T — 1:51 pm June 25, 2013 #

67. A-$$holes
    R-epurposing
    T-rash
    because that what this is. It isn’t art.

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 1:52 pm June 25, 2013 #

68. “Destroying this expression whether you agree with it, like it, or understand it, is fascistic behavior.”

I think you have no idea whatsoever as to what real fascism is. When the “artist” is taken out and shot along with his family, come back and we’ll re-open that discussion

The artist who thinks he or she has the right to foist whatever stuff he or she has cobbled together and called “art” onto the public at the expense of the public (clean-up, removal, possible contamination of sea-life with your paint etc)is not exactly beneficent.

No one really has the right to use public space and public funds for their own personal motives.

Your rights end where someone else’s begin. If you have the right to put “art” somewhere as a protest, then others have the exact same right to destroy your “art” if they do not like it, as a protest against what you did.

You will have to establish why your right to do your thing transcends others rights to do their thing. Calling it “art” does not imbue it or you with sacred and mystical forces preventing others from expressing *their* opinions.

Comment by Jim P. — 1:55 pm June 25, 2013 #

69. “oh, Smitty. The artist has you pegged.

“Me, me, what art means —> 100 posts Smitty.””

But we haven’t hit 100 yet! But, I will admit – unlike the other two that did not reach 100 posts this one most likely will.

Hey Amanda, what if someone put up a piece of “art” depicting Obama being born in Kenya? Does that “evoke emotion”? I would lthink it would. Would you be OK with that, or do you draw the line somehwere? Bush hanging from a tree in effigy?

Comment by Smitty — 1:57 pm June 25, 2013 #

70. What’s funny is that its generating into a popular story here. There will be a hundred comments on this alone before the weeks out. And they are loving every minute of the attention. They exactly knew what they where doing. Props to that.

Comment by jiggers — 1:57 pm June 25, 2013 #

71. WSB: I appreciate the reportage and that you got a statement from Parks Dept. spokesperson.

They said “In this particular case, the guerrilla art is leaning against legitimate and permanent art. The Alki Community Council and the individual donors who raised money for the Alki Statue of Liberty worked closely with Seattle Parks and Recreation to develop the proposal for the redevelopment of the plaza. They also raised funds ($47,000) for its long-term maintenance. It would be unfair to them to allow the art to remain.”

The spokesperson has made what I think is an unfortunate rationalization and judgement to remove the art based on the amount of $ that was raised for maintenance of the Faux Statue of Liberty. It’s ridiculous that this should make any factual difference. It would be UNFAIR to them? Absurd!!

This guerilla art or whatever you want to call it is quite wonderful. I’d be interested in hearing childrens’ responses to looking at it. Those who choose to focus on it being illegal or unsanctioned have not only missed the point, but never even consider that it may have a point.

This kind of art has shown me that there are fascists amongst us.

Comment by I. Ponder — 2:07 pm June 25, 2013 #

72. It’s obvious that many of those making comments have not been down to the Plaza to see the results. Spray paint was used on site, and yes, damage was done to the surrounding area, including quite a few of the engraved bricks. While I have no objection to the placement of thought provoking objects in a location dedicated to the concept of liberty, a line needs to be drawn when damage is actually being done.
    If the paint can’t be removed from the engraved bricks, then they will need to be replaced at a significant cost.

Comment by David Hutchinson — 2:09 pm June 25, 2013 #

73. If I took it and hung it on my wall, would it be art then? What if put a frame around it and stuck on a tag that said “$5000″?

Comment by datamuse — 2:13 pm June 25, 2013 #

74. Artist suckling at
    the teat of freedom deeply
    Others formula

Comment by Norquay — 2:22 pm June 25, 2013 #

75. West Seattle is full of bitter, old cranks. Keep the art coming!

Comment by Galactus — 2:33 pm June 25, 2013 #

76. It’s funny how people think they should “understand” what art is and isn’t without putting any effort or energy into really understanding it. When you hear someone speaking a language you don’t understand, do you say ” that’s garbage talk cause I don’t understand it????

Same thing here folks. Understanding life isn’t easy, especially to those not willing to put any effort into looking at it from others points of view.

The intolerance of some of these “art critics” is truly frightening.

Comment by eye of the beholder — 2:35 pm June 25, 2013 #

77. Hey Smitty. You know those Westboro Baptist people – the ones who like to protest at soldiers funerals saying that God Hates Everyone? They have the right of free speech. And you know what, I agree. I don’t think their message is right, or their actions fair. But I wholeheartedly stand by their right to do so. If you want to paint a picture of Obama being born on the plains of Kenya, and prop it up against the Statue of Liberty – well – do it! It’s freedom of expression and if you don’t like it or agree with it – or if you think it’s right or wrong. Doesn’t really matter. It’s protected by the Bill of Rights. There are lines of good taste, but that line does not get drawn by you or me.

Comment by Amanda — 2:35 pm June 25, 2013 #

78. An analysis of the email strings from this topic would make a fascinating psychological study. People surely can’t be THIS angry about the minimal removal costs. What are the real underlying factors that make people so angry about something so innocuous?

Comment by james — 2:40 pm June 25, 2013 #

79. I won’t advance any personal opinion on whether it’s art or not, but most artists I know would love to get this much reaction, including some who’ve had gallery showings and grants. Nice work, whoever you are.

Comment by datamuse — 2:41 pm June 25, 2013 #

80. If you paid attention this morning, the Supreme Court says it’s okay to disenfranchise voters.
    OFF TOPIC HERE…
    How does this morning USSC decision disenfranchise voters.
    The decision directs congress to look at the 1967 ruling and update it to todays standard. Taking into account that in the “traditionally” racists areas they are now electing and have been electing minorities.
    My guess is you are against ANY voter ID laws that would prevent fraud.
    ON TOPIC…
    They say “art” is in the eye of the beholder and that MAYBE true. But when that art is displayed in a manner that damages PUBLIC property that has received donations from the general public AND Gov’t funds. Then that “art” ceases to be “art” and has trapsed into the realm of VANDALISM which is a crime.

Comment by Ex-Westwood Resident — 2:44 pm June 25, 2013 #

81. +1
    Hahaha

Just drove by and don’t see it…
    Think I might have seen the next one in the back of a pick though. Lol

Comment by All for it — 3:00 pm June 25, 2013 #

82. spray paint was not used on site, the rain washed that side of the hatchet almost clean and the paint ran, tried wiping some of it up this morning as the paint was pooling into the rain puddles the other side wasn’t affected by the rain so much because of the angle, just some drip marks. Doesn’t look deliberate. Spraying at in the middle of the night during a drop off, doesn’t make much sense.

Comment by a — 3:08 pm June 25, 2013 #

83. If it was thrown in the Sound would it be floating art or just flotsam?

Comment by DTK — 3:17 pm June 25, 2013 #

84. Great, relevant symbolism!

Comment by :) — 3:23 pm June 25, 2013 #

85. Artist, are you willing to make a donation to the city for clean-up of the run-off? Even though not intentional? Just curious.

Comment by a — 3:27 pm June 25, 2013 #

86. I LOVE this. Made me smile.

Art is far from our greatest worry in the parks. As I waited for the bus today, a guy went into the shrubs adjacent to the bus stop and took a piss. The trees have been tagged, the parks are full of dog (and other) crap, and campers are chopping down small trees and vandalizing plantings. Druggies have carved out enclaves for their use and commerce. A sardonic sculpture on a concrete pad is a welcome change from the usual desecration.

Comment by anonyme — 3:33 pm June 25, 2013 #

87. its “da bomb”

Comment by grape ape — 4:54 pm June 25, 2013 #

88. It’s cute and clever and fine for guerilla art and all – I appreciate the effort and the humor – but I am not cool with the paint on the ground, both for cost and environmental reasons. In that regard, the artist is selfish and rude because I assume (and hope I’m wrong) he or she isn’t going to clean up the mess.

But I digress … I.Ponder. You DO need to chill. You throw the word “facism” around in a way that only reveals your ignorance. If you knew was real facism is about, you’d feel foolish for so blithely tossing that particular hand grenade. Perhaps read a little history … Nazi Germany … Pinochet’s Chile … the Shah’s Iran … and so on. Then come talk about facism.

Comment by wscommuter — 5:09 pm June 25, 2013 #

89. This, from the sculptures to the response, is art. We’re all the point.

Comment by JRR — 5:14 pm June 25, 2013 #

90. I’m offended by the WALKING ON LOGS statues along Fauntleroy Way and demand they be removed immediately. They’re a dangerous distraction to drivers. Secondly, they attract a steady flow of discarded clothing, other detritus, and trash. Thirdly, I didn’t vote to have them installed in the public right of way.

They set a bad example for children, since walking on logs can easily result in injury.

What are they trying to depict anyway? An alien race of faceless people with arms outstretched as if in apocalyptic terror? That’s not MY West Seattle. Remove them now!

Comment by I. Ponder — 5:16 pm June 25, 2013 #

91. These are such interesting times!

Comment by Last53BusRider — 5:39 pm June 25, 2013 #

92. Wow. I’m really ashamed of how many “mean girls” are in WS. Pull the sticks out and calm down.

Comment by neighbor — 6:03 pm June 25, 2013 #

93. 80% of the comments here sounds like they don’t like freedom of speech no matter what or how its displayed. Well… just stay at home peeps and keep your doors locked and window shades down. That’s what your government wants you to do anyways. The City just spent a huge boatload of money on freeloaders at Nickelsville, but you complained about a little spray paint on a few bricks which can easily be powerwashed off? I thought we where a City who prides in any kind of art? A way to speak to each other so to say.

Comment by jiggers — 6:31 pm June 25, 2013 #

94. Art is surely in the eye of the beholder, but cleanup costs and damage to public property are not part of creating art. I’m for the art part, but against having to clean it up.

If you are the artist, haul this thing away after a bit and don’t damage anything while you are at it and you’ll get your message across (whatever that is) and gain some cred. Otherwise it’s one step away from vandalism.

Comment by John H. — 6:41 pm June 25, 2013 #

95. IT’S BRILLIANT! Liberty has been axed!

Comment by cruzer — 6:48 pm June 25, 2013 #

96. Fascist thoughts are invasive seeds.
    Opinion bushes, cloned to replace forests.

Comment by Norquay — 7:02 pm June 25, 2013 #

97. It is not illegal dumping? Really??????? WHERE IS THE PERMIT FOR THE INSTALLATION? Every time this joker place a new piece of ‘art’, it puts further strain on an already stressed parks budget.

This has nothing to do with freedom of expression! Express yourself on your own property. If you want permission to install this on public property GET A PERMIT and PAY FOR INSTALLATION and REMOVAL!

I have finally valid use for those cameras that SPD has installed on Alki.

Comment by Paul — 7:53 pm June 25, 2013 #

98. ha ha west seattle – stroller pushing punks! lol!!!

Comment by flimflam — 8:06 pm June 25, 2013 #

99. Please Sir…
    May I have a permit, for more?

Comment by Norquay — 8:26 pm June 25, 2013 #

100. I’m seeing so much fascist mentality posing as good neighbor concern for ‘law & order’ here. “Where is your permit?” “Express yourself on your own property.”
    So, if cameras are put on Alki and you have footage of the artist in action, what will you do with it? Are they then a perpetrator instead of an artist engaging in free speech. Would you have them arrested? For what? I see hints of ‘mob with pitchforks’ in many of the comments here. You’re hiding behind your concern for public property and removal expenses, but you’re actually exhibiting a kind of small-minded awfulness that I’m afraid is more acceptable in these times we live in. This is where acceptance of fascist laws and actions starts. This work of art has done a shockingly good job at revealing different points of view. I’m seeing a level of intolerance and ill-will that’s scary.

Comment by I. Ponder — 8:28 pm June 25, 2013 #

101. Looks an awful lot like the Portland Timbers logo. (Seems like a weird time for it, though. No big rivalry match until August.)

Comment by MikeRussellFoto — 8:46 pm June 25, 2013 #

102. These are also dangerous times.

Comment by Last53BusRider — 9:00 pm June 25, 2013 #

103. $5 million tax payer money to impose fascism on people by government cameras to spy on guerrilla artist. Wonderful use of funds. NOT!

Comment by Citizen — 10:03 pm June 25, 2013 #

104. The message on the side of the axe said “Thanks for listening!”

Comment by SnowyNoah — 8:35 am June 26, 2013 #

105. Pretty neat. I like it.

Comment by sagafoo — 9:40 am June 26, 2013 #

106. You know what’s more unsightly than this art? The insane amount of garbage and debris left around the firepits after a particularly warm/sunny Friday night. Guess we should outlaw firepits, fun, and probably children/teenagers. I can promise you that cleanup takes WAY more time/money/gov resources than dealing with one sculpture.

Comment by JayD — 12:56 pm June 26, 2013 #

107. I like how the big cleansing storm came in after all of this last night…and how all sides and opinions could use it metaphorically.

Comment by Jennie — 5:53 pm June 26, 2013 #

108. So, some people were complaining about the piece being “propped up” against the statue of liberty, it was on a stand. I do not believe the artist meant for the art to lean against the statue base. People climbing on the statue do more damage than a piece of art sitting in front of it.

Comment by DRW — 7:02 pm June 26, 2013 #

109. It evoked emotional response from over 100 posts I see. Its offially art

Comment by Mike — 7:19 pm June 26, 2013 #

110. Anyone remember the “sculpture” that was on a corner yard around 49th and Dakota couple years back? Not sure exact location.
    Anyway, it was a “wooden man” that had an axe in each hand and it was facing out onto a school bus stop with little kids standing there every morning. CREEPY!
    It seemed like it was placed there to intimidate people and not really as “art.” Then it just disappeared. I wonder, did neighbors or parents complain? I also wondered at the time about the mental stability of the “artist.”
    Same guy?

Comment by wellmaybe — 8:05 pm June 26, 2013 #

111. FYI- The crazy guerrilla artist guy is painting right now on the sidewalk infront of “Freshy’s Coffee Shop” If you want to meet him.

Comment by Ivan from the B.I. — 12:19 am June 27, 2013 #

112. YAY! Love that there is gorilla art making a statement in West Seattle. love it or hate it, its obviously done its job.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 6:46 am June 27, 2013 #

113. the wooden man was creepy? i thought it was an amazingly clever piece of art. it actually worked until the weather got the best of it. wow!

just goes to show what a diverse world we live in

Comment by on 49th — 7:53 am June 27, 2013 #

114. WINNING! Yes that sounds like the Timbers. Onward Rose City!

Comment by RCTID — 12:05 am July 14, 2013 #