Close call in Arbor Heights: Tree branch falls near school

8:53 AM: Close call in the street out front of Arbor Heights Elementary a short time ago – a tree on the other side of SW 104th lost a branch that itself is the size of a tree! Thanks to Christopher Grupp for the photo (and to others for texting/tweeting about it); we’ve been to the scene to take a look too – school buses are getting through eastbound, but the westbound side of the road is blocked until the tree can be cleared.

10:21 AM: Neighbors Dana and Ellie report it’s cleared:

… and say it’s thanks to these guys:

They shared the photos with this update: “Fallen tree in Arbor Heights cleared in one hour’s time, thanks to quick teamwork of Pete Good, Craig Harold, and a trusty chainsaw! So grateful for extraordinary neighbors who helped …”

12 Replies to "Close call in Arbor Heights: Tree branch falls near school"

• alkiobserver May 28, 2013 (12:27 pm)

Nice job Pete and Craig! Way to step up and be helpful. Love that neighborhood.

• Karl Larsen May 28, 2013 (1:21 pm)

Nice work Pete and Craig. Good to know there are selfless, motivated neighbors out there when it counts. Is that beer thirt?

• HungryKids May 28, 2013 (2:34 pm)

Kudos to the neighbors for jumping in to help. Kind, generous and caring of them!

I sure hope that they had put the chainsaw away before they broke out whatever adult beverage they have in the brown bag. I trust they also took off their safety goggles and work gloves before raising a glass. Working with a chainsaw is not something to take casually – there are many serious injuries that occur when they are not handled with the utmost respect. Wouldn’t want anyone to get the impression from the photo that it is a party activity…

• WSB May 28, 2013 (2:44 pm)

That’s not a “brown bag” – that’s a cut on part of the tree. Zoom in on the photo.

• alkiobserver May 28, 2013 (4:21 pm)

Those are some funny observations/extrapolations from a single photo HungryKids. Though, I will say, they look like a couple of fun guys to party with.

• Suzanne May 28, 2013 (5:00 pm)

Huge assumptions HungryKids.
    – incorrectly thinking there is a brown bag in the picture
    – automatically assuming it must have been an “adult beverage” in the non existent brown bag

I’m all for safety while using power tools, but your assumptions based on a photo are ridiculous. It would have been nice if you’d limited your comment to your first sentence and left it at that.

• CJ May 28, 2013 (6:21 pm)

Hey HungryKids – how about attending an Alanon meeting instead of trying to nanny others online.

• thistle stairs May 28, 2013 (7:40 pm)

Good job guys! See Craig, we don’t need “super” heroes when regular heroes will do. Way to represent the heights.

• furiouskitty May 28, 2013 (7:55 pm)

I saw several parents pitch in to help and felt all warm and gooey about our amazing neighborhood.

• Ellie May 28, 2013 (8:48 pm)

Guys, relax, it’s just lemonade, we just thought it looked funny. Seriously, they were awesome.

• Dana May 29, 2013 (9:02 am)

Yesterday was the definition of community – really, if you look up “community” in the dictionary there is a picture of Craig and Pete standing there with cups of lemonade after efficiently and safely cutting up the tree that couldn’t be moved by Cathy, Cathy, Ellie and I and moving it to the side of the street. Thanks to everyone who helped.

• HungryKids May 29, 2013 (5:24 pm)

I owe these generous neighbors an apology. My aging eyes played tricks on me and I was convinced that was a brown bag. Pete and Craig – I was wrong and I am sorry I added a sour note to the conversation.

Everyone please do be careful whenever you are using power tools, or around people using them. I have met people whose lives have been upended in a single moment of inattention. Once you’re done and the saw’s turned off, celebration is in order!

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann