Close call in Arbor Heights: Tree branch falls near school

May 28, 2013 at 8:53 am | In Arbor Heights, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

8:53 AM: Close call in the street out front of Arbor Heights Elementary a short time ago – a tree on the other side of SW 104th lost a branch that itself is the size of a tree! Thanks to Christopher Grupp for the photo (and to others for texting/tweeting about it); we’ve been to the scene to take a look too – school buses are getting through eastbound, but the westbound side of the road is blocked until the tree can be cleared.

10:21 AM: Neighbors Dana and Ellie report it’s cleared:

… and say it’s thanks to these guys:

They shared the photos with this update: “Fallen tree in Arbor Heights cleared in one hour’s time, thanks to quick teamwork of Pete Good, Craig Harold, and a trusty chainsaw! So grateful for extraordinary neighbors who helped …”

1. Nice job Pete and Craig! Way to step up and be helpful. Love that neighborhood.

Comment by alkiobserver — 12:27 pm May 28, 2013 #

2. Nice work Pete and Craig. Good to know there are selfless, motivated neighbors out there when it counts. Is that beer thirt?

Comment by Karl Larsen — 1:21 pm May 28, 2013 #

3. Kudos to the neighbors for jumping in to help. Kind, generous and caring of them!

I sure hope that they had put the chainsaw away before they broke out whatever adult beverage they have in the brown bag. I trust they also took off their safety goggles and work gloves before raising a glass. Working with a chainsaw is not something to take casually – there are many serious injuries that occur when they are not handled with the utmost respect. Wouldn’t want anyone to get the impression from the photo that it is a party activity…

Comment by HungryKids — 2:34 pm May 28, 2013 #

4. That’s not a “brown bag” – that’s a cut on part of the tree. Zoom in on the photo.

Comment by WSB — 2:44 pm May 28, 2013 #

5. Those are some funny observations/extrapolations from a single photo HungryKids. Though, I will say, they look like a couple of fun guys to party with.

Comment by alkiobserver — 4:21 pm May 28, 2013 #

6. Huge assumptions HungryKids.
    - incorrectly thinking there is a brown bag in the picture
    - automatically assuming it must have been an “adult beverage” in the non existent brown bag

I’m all for safety while using power tools, but your assumptions based on a photo are ridiculous. It would have been nice if you’d limited your comment to your first sentence and left it at that.

Comment by Suzanne — 5:00 pm May 28, 2013 #

7. Hey HungryKids – how about attending an Alanon meeting instead of trying to nanny others online.

Comment by CJ — 6:21 pm May 28, 2013 #

8. Good job guys! See Craig, we don’t need “super” heroes when regular heroes will do. Way to represent the heights.

Comment by thistle stairs — 7:40 pm May 28, 2013 #

9. I saw several parents pitch in to help and felt all warm and gooey about our amazing neighborhood.

Comment by furiouskitty — 7:55 pm May 28, 2013 #

10. Guys, relax, it’s just lemonade, we just thought it looked funny. Seriously, they were awesome.

Comment by Ellie — 8:48 pm May 28, 2013 #

11. Yesterday was the definition of community – really, if you look up “community” in the dictionary there is a picture of Craig and Pete standing there with cups of lemonade after efficiently and safely cutting up the tree that couldn’t be moved by Cathy, Cathy, Ellie and I and moving it to the side of the street. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Comment by Dana — 9:02 am May 29, 2013 #

12. I owe these generous neighbors an apology. My aging eyes played tricks on me and I was convinced that was a brown bag. Pete and Craig – I was wrong and I am sorry I added a sour note to the conversation.

Everyone please do be careful whenever you are using power tools, or around people using them. I have met people whose lives have been upended in a single moment of inattention. Once you’re done and the saw’s turned off, celebration is in order!

Comment by HungryKids — 5:24 pm May 29, 2013 #