West Seattle scene: Balancing act, south of Alki Point

April 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm | In West Seattle beaches, West Seattle news | 20 Comments

From a distance, you might think those are birds on pilings, photographed at Constellation Park‘s north end, right by the Alki Avenue/Beach Drive bend. But take a closer look:

“Awesome feats of balance” is how Chas Redmond, who sent the close-up photo, put it; just minutes after his photo came in, Kate Harris sent the wider view, describing the rock creations as “cairns.” Not sure how the tide will treat them, but thanks to Chas and Kate for sharing photos!

ADDED 5:07 PM: Just after we published this, Michelle Laraux sent photos – including this one with the rock artist in the background:

1. I love when people do random acts that make me smile. Thanks :)

Comment by AN — 4:58 pm April 8, 2013 #

2. someone was busy I like it

Comment by Polly Aldrich — 5:10 pm April 8, 2013 #

3. Extra cool. Not there one day, there the next. Poof! Let’s make us some obos on the beach.

Comment by fred b. — 5:17 pm April 8, 2013 #

4. Cool, love it!

Comment by Kip — 5:19 pm April 8, 2013 #

5. Nice!

Comment by MikeRussellFoto — 5:56 pm April 8, 2013 #

6. Very cool.

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 6:28 pm April 8, 2013 #

7. I watched this young man for awhile. He is from Olympia and he was waiting for his sister to get off of work. It was amazing how he balanced rocks.

Comment by Star 55 — 6:50 pm April 8, 2013 #

8. I saw these same type of balanced rock formations Easter weekend at Mary Moore park across from Alki, pretty cool!

Comment by kavaii — 6:51 pm April 8, 2013 #

9. Love this! Keep up the random art west Seattle!
    Can’t wait to hear the complainers who say, “oh my gosh you should’ve left those rocks exactly where they belong, you are hurting nature. Rocks aren’t supposed to stand like that!”

Comment by MB — 7:02 pm April 8, 2013 #

10. A man named Michael Grab has become semi-famous balancing rocks. See http://www.123inspiration.com/gravity-glue-balanced-rock-sculptures-by-michael-grab/
    It is magical.

Comment by Kayzel — 7:09 pm April 8, 2013 #

11. Cool and whimsical. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Rvesdocs — 8:17 pm April 8, 2013 #

12. awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁👻

Comment by Nicholas — 9:18 pm April 8, 2013 #

13. Very cool!

Comment by Heather — 9:29 pm April 8, 2013 #

14. Wow, what an incredible presence of mind and feel for the work he has to pull that off!

Comment by m — 10:07 pm April 8, 2013 #

15. Are those stones in place to help in lessening beach erosion and displace waves from the bulkhead?

Comment by Nw — 10:10 pm April 8, 2013 #

16. A true work of art.

Comment by justme — 10:32 pm April 8, 2013 #

17. The rock balancing and stacking, a native tribesman told me, is done to mark polluted areas. It is cool though!

Comment by TodM. Kelly — 2:19 pm April 9, 2013 #

18. I don’t really like seeing this kind of thing not because it hurts the rocks, but because I am a “leave no trace behind” kind of nature lover. Man doesn’t always have to leave a mark. I do appreciate the balancing act, but take them down when you are done.

Comment by sgs — 3:28 pm April 9, 2013 #

19. @ sgs – check out some of andy goldsworthy’s art. you may reconsider your perspective.

Comment by m — 7:56 pm April 9, 2013 #

20. @sgs – I’ve had the rock balancing habit for a few years, and I can assure you that balances like this will not survive the first tide, bird, or curious child to touch them. If they last 24 hours they’re doing well.
    And if they inspire a few smiles or encourage someone else to get their hands dirty and feet wet that’s all good in my book!

Comment by flippertie, — 9:10 pm April 9, 2013 #